Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inv MS 90D for $665/month...$75k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking the same thing, especially for all of us that got the impossibly cheap lease deals. They can extend it another year for all I care.

Actually, I'm hoping when the time comes to turn it in that the value is so far away from the pay-off that Tesla will negotiate the buy-out price. I think my residual is $82,000 and I don't believe 2015 P85Ds are worth that much right now, let alone in another year.

It's going to be an interesting time because 1) indeed the buy-out prices for these cars are way inflated as they stand. (hey, these lower lease payments have to come from somewhere...) and 2) there will be an increase in supply with these leases ending all around the same time.

I wonder if they will offer month to month lease extensions to give people time to find the right CPO? But that's probably asking for a bit much.

Was looking at this all morning trying to decide and finally told myself "Stop thinking about it, just get it!" but now the price has gone up and it's $948 / month!! Seems they raised the sell price by about $8k :(

Yep. Tesla is a big fan of (very) dynamic pricing...discount is now "only" $19.6k. $948 is before referral discount though...ballpark, it's roughly $30 less once you add it, all else being equal.

What am I missing here? I don't see how this is $784/mo.

it's back up to $948 before referral discount. The key here is that with Tesla leases, the residual is based off of the MSRP (before what Tesla calls the "showroom discount") while the non-residual portion (ie the one covered by the lease payments) is based off of the final, discounted price. In a way, the residual is "inflated" and this benefits the lessee.

So the higher the discount, as a percentage of the MSRP, the lower the lease payments.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby and JPUConn
it's back up to $948 before referral discount. The key here is that with Tesla leases, the residual is based off of the MSRP (before what Tesla calls the "showroom discount") while the non-residual portion (ie the one covered by the lease payments) is based off of the final, discounted price. In a way, the residual is "inflated" and this benefits the lessee.

So the higher the discount, as a percentage of the MSRP, the lower the lease payments.

Ah, yes, so I'm thankfully very familiar with leasing (not that I don't appreciate your explanation), but the problem here was that I didn't know that Tesla pricing could be so dynamic. Seems that simply by the time I clicked on the link, the price had changed. Which is crazy to me - that prices can change that fast. Guess I just have to get used to it. :)

Ah, yes, so I'm thankfully very familiar with leasing (not that I don't appreciate your explanation), but the problem here was that I didn't know that Tesla pricing could be so dynamic. Seems that simply by the time I clicked on the link, the price had changed. Which is crazy to me - that prices can change that fast. Guess I just have to get used to it. :)

I thought you meant "what am I missing? How can it be so low?". :)

And yes, very dynamic, it's been moving a fair bit today. I'm am trying to figure out some kind of pattern or variables (other than 90kwh). No luck so far but it's part of the fun.