Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a newbie here in search of some well needed inputs. I am picking up my MS on thursday. It is a pre-raven MS 100D with FSD. Ofcourse i get the FUSC with it. Its 75k before taxes and credits. I think i have gotten a decent deal on an inventory with just 300 miles on it. It has the cream premium interior too.
I do have some apprehensions after reading many posts in this group about the MS. Any inputs would be appreciated.

You didn't mention the year. I have a 2018 MS 100D with FSD. I absolutely LOVE the car. Besides the smooth ride, instant torque and power, the car constantly gets new features as a result of the over the air updates. It's almost like getting a new car every few weeks. Also, the driver assist features (such as Autopilot and NoA), while not perfect, work decently well under the right conditions. Like any tool you have to know when to use them. I think you will be very pleased with your purchase and the price you paid sounds very good to me.

You didn't mention the year. I have a 2018 MS 100D with FSD. I absolutely LOVE the car. Besides the smooth ride, instant torque and power, the car constantly gets new features as a result of the over the air updates. It's almost like getting a new car every few weeks. Also, the driver assist features (such as Autopilot and NoA), while not perfect, work decently well under the right conditions. Like any tool you have to know when to use them. I think you will be very pleased with your purchase and the price you paid sounds very good to me.
It is a 2019 100D

I am a newbie here in search of some well needed inputs. I am picking up my MS on thursday. It is a pre-raven MS 100D with FSD. Ofcourse i get the FUSC with it. Its 75k before taxes and credits. I think i have gotten a decent deal on an inventory with just 300 miles on it. It has the cream premium interior too.
I do have some apprehensions after reading many posts in this group about the MS. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Haha, yeah, you got a much better deal than I got on my MS 100D in December! I have no regrets though - I love the car!

FWIW, I picked my 2019 MS100D inventory car (MSM/Cream) for about the same price as yours, but with EAP & lower miles. Is your apprehension based on:
- Price paid?
- Issues you are seeing about software updates?
- Resale value?
- Fit & finish of the car?

You have not mentioned what those apprehensions are, so its sorta of difficult to point you in the right direction.

I have my car for just under 2 weeks & every time I drive it, there is a significant diff' & the smile is there. Enjoy the experience. Don't let 'what if' hold you back. It'll come, not if but when, and you'll learn to cross it, like all others here. Enjoy your new car.

1. Depreciation, since now i will be atleast two versions behind, if a new refresh happens.
2. Is the extra 20 k worth it vs a comparable model 3?

Valid reasons, and something that held me back from purchasing sooner as well.

1. Depreciation is always going to be a factor, for any car. I knew this going into my purchase, but the desire to own a Tesla outweighed my apprehension. I'm very analytical, so I factored in the crappy gas station visits, in the Texas heat, in the rain, etc. The oil changes, service charges for random ICE issues, etc. And of course the fuel savings. All things considered, it made me feel a little more comfortable spending a lil more on a Tesla and chancing a lil more depreciation. Besides, I hated stopping and filling gas, I felt like I was literally burning money.

2. As to your 2nd point, that's more of a personal question. I've always loved the Model S, so the heart wants what the heart wants. I wouldn't mind a Model 3, they seem like great cars and a great value. Again, personal preference.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
1. Depreciation, since now i will be atleast two versions behind, if a new refresh happens.
2. Is the extra 20 k worth it vs a comparable model 3?

a) How are you factoring two versions 'behind'? You are getting a 2019 100D. Not the Dual Motor, I understand, but still a 2019. And you are getting FSD, which is a *good* thing to have for resale.

Depreciation is gonna happen no matter what. If you want to 'save some' on the depreciation, buy a used car.

b) M3 vs MS ... this topic has been discussed till the cows come home. It'll be a decision based on your family size, wants/needs, etc and of course your financial strength. Both are good cars. I loved the M3 interior sorta, but needed the extra panel. And loved the looks of MS better than the M3. And the 0-60, etc ... But I do miss the door cup holders, etc ...

You cannot/will not go wrong with either car.

I like the look of the MS better than the M3, plus, the larger interior space in the MS was very important to me. My wife and I both felt the M3 was too small for us.. We recently took a 2500 mile ttrip with 2 of our granddaughters and the MS was awesome! I don'[t think we could have done it comfortably in the m3

a) How are you factoring two versions 'behind'? You are getting a 2019 100D. Not the Dual Motor, I understand, but still a 2019. And you are getting FSD, which is a *good* thing to have for resale.

Depreciation is gonna happen no matter what. If you want to 'save some' on the depreciation, buy a used car.

b) M3 vs MS ... this topic has been discussed till the cows come home. It'll be a decision based on your family size, wants/needs, etc and of course your financial strength. Both are good cars. I loved the M3 interior sorta, but needed the extra panel. And loved the looks of MS better than the M3. And the 0-60, etc ... But I do miss the door cup holders, etc ...

You cannot/will not go wrong with either car.
I meant two versions behind because this is a pre-raven and they are already talkin about a refresh. The dual motor is just a gimmick. Nothing changed there with the raven MS.

Talk about refresh started 8+ months back, with diff' pundits & experts drawing out 'what could be', etc. And Elon put all that to rest a month or so back. But yeah, that does not negate the fact, a refresh *will* happen - its when? And no one knows. So I would not hold my breath, waiting out for that. Tesla operates on its own Elon Standard Time.

If you think the dual motor is a gimmick, then your decision to buy or not buy the 100D should be easier. I don't think you get the Model S without a dual motor now. Only the M3 comes with a non dual motor variant.

(FWIW, there were other changes to the Raven like suspension (which I think is the gimmick), the M3l motor that betters the range and efficient, faster charging (different battery pack)).

Talk about refresh started 8+ months back, with diff' pundits & experts drawing out 'what could be', etc. And Elon put all that to rest a month or so back. But yeah, that does not negate the fact, a refresh *will* happen - its when? And no one knows. So I would not hold my breath, waiting out for that. Tesla operates on its own Elon Standard Time.

If you think the dual motor is a gimmick, then your decision to buy or not buy the 100D should be easier. I don't think you get the Model S without a dual motor now. Only the M3 comes with a non dual motor variant.

(FWIW, there were other changes to the Raven like suspension (which I think is the gimmick), the M3l motor that betters the range and efficient, faster charging (different battery pack)).

I have a brand new Raven and the suspension is AMAZING! Owned a 2018 100D before and there is a huge difference not only in ride, comfort and handling (plus adaptability) but I believe the noise vibration and harshness of the entire vehicle is MUCH better now.

I got a red 2018 new inventory Ludicrous Performance with FSD for $80k. Raven's effect on the Performance is kind of controversial (people are reporting torque steering, and apparently the new motor made the regular driving feeling closer to a FWD? Could matter for people who'd care enough to buy a Performance car) but for 100D/LR versions, it's just unquestionably superior.

What I am getting at is - you are getting a good deal at $75k, but I would say that a lot of people would consider paying the extra $11k and getting the much superior Raven build & a substantial bit of extra range.

And as long as you aren't getting a Raven, I would look at used cars. I got my car new only because it came at a humongous discount & the "depreciation curve" will be different because of that. Right now there seem to be no good P100D deals, but for $70-75k a week or two ago you could very easily get a 2017 P100D Ludicrous with 4 years of full warranty.

Again though, you are getting a good deal, and I wouldn't worry about the refresh.