Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory 2018 MX - Unable to add autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I signed up hoping to get some help with this matter.

I'm taking delivery of an inventory 2018 Model X with no EAD. I asked the sale rep to activate it for another 3k before taking delivery. He informed me that "the vehicle cannot suppose the new autopilot software for some odd reason." I assume that all Tesla vehicles come with autopilot hardware to activated either before delivery or after.

Please advise. I see no point in buying this car without at least EAD.

...no point in buying this car without at least EAD.

There's no technological issue in upgrading a 2018 MX to EAP/AP/FSD.

The issue here is how can you find someone who's willing to do it for you!

It's not even a physical task. It's an administrative task to allow over-the-air upgrade.

The problem with Tesla is there are a number of off-menu items that are not publicized.

It's up to each owner to maneuver through the mysterious off-menu items.

So the rep got back to me.
I could add this option but for 5k FSD. Apparently they no longer off EAD.

FSD – $5,000 when added at the time of vehicle purchase on February 28, 2019, or anytime thereafter. Total cost of AP ($3,000) + FSD ($5,000) = $8,000.

Any want to chime in on this? Is it worth it?

$3k AP is not EAP. That’s vanilla AP with TACC and autosteer only.

With the additional $5k fsd you get autopark, summon, NoA on freeway, and new features to be released like stop sign/light recognition and NoA on city streets.

Whether it’s worth it it’s up to you to decide.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
...Is it worth it?

It makes sense that they refuse to sell EAP anymore because of the administrative change in policy as of 2/28/2019.

But to deny selling new AP/FSD is quite a different problem!

Thus, congratulations that you have passed an administrative issue and now Tesla is willing to sell you AP/FSD.

Buying AP alone is helpful but not enough for me because it does only 2 things:

1) Steering within its lane
2) TACC (smart/adaptive cruise)

It really bothers me for not having Auto Lane Change. With the new AP, you have to manually look for cars from behind and change lane on your own.

That alone would force me to buy FSD:

3) Auto Lane Change with manual signaling but fully automation expected 3/15/2019 which is already late / Navigation on Autopilot (EAP feature, not 2019 AP)
4) AutoPark (EAP feature, not 2019 AP)
5) Summon (EAP feature, not 2019 AP)

Soon:
6) Traffic lights and stop signs automatic compliance
7) Automatic driving on city streets.

I like technology so I love the above but it's still an imperfect beta so my passengers don't like it at all because I do corrections (overriding steering and braking) from time to time which to them is a proof of an unsafe beta system.

So to clarify, the 5k im paying is for FSD or AP (formerly EAD)?

AP=$3,000. You can buy this alone.

To get FSD, you need to pay $3,000 of AP first. FSD cost is in addition to AP's cost.

You can buy AP alone, but not FSD alone.

Thus, if you want FSD, you have to pay:

$3,000 AP
$5,000 FSD
----------------
$8,000 Total to get FSD working

AP=$3,000. You can buy this alone.

To get FSD, you need to pay $3,000 of AP first. FSD cost is in addition to AP's cost.

You can buy AP alone, but not FSD alone.

Thus, if you want FSD, you have to pay:

$3,000 AP
$5,000 FSD
----------------
$8,000 Total to get FSD working

The rep is quoting me at 5k to add it on there. Makes no sense.

The rep is quoting me at 5k to add it on there. Makes no sense.

You know buying FSD alone without paying AP first is erroneous because you can go the web and pretend to buy one.

You can click AP option alone fine.

You then unclick it and click on FSD option alone: It automatically clicks AP for you even when you don't want to pay for it!

Good luck in enforcing the rep's promise of paying $5,000 only instead of paying $8,000 in total.

Looks like the car was built before the AP 3k / FSD 5K price structure. It was built with EAP, so basically if I were to add this feature, then its 5k extra that I have to pay.
Well this is what you said:

FSD – $5,000 when added at the time of vehicle purchase on February 28, 2019, or anytime thereafter. Total cost of AP ($3,000) + FSD ($5,000) = $8,000.

I don’t blame you for being all confused because Tesla created this mess. If it’s $5k extra for AP then we are talking about EAP which does include some of the current FSD features. This will not get new features or new AP HW3 for free.

If we are talking about $8k then it’s the full AP+FSD or EAP+FSD. Either way the full thing is $8k total.