TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Inventory Car Opportunity - what are the trade offs - Agonizing

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by delsky, Jun 24, 2018.

1. delsky

delsky Member

i think have an opportunity to buy a car if still there today mfr 12/2017. The interior is that dark shiny oak that looks black. Im worried it will scratch or already be scratched! Not sure if they replace details like that, and can there be unexpected findings? The reduction is enough to get me in a 100d, but not the white pearl that i wanted. I wonder what peoples recent experince is?

2. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

Read post on buying CPO cars from tesla. If it truely new, meaning never titled then you are fine. All is covered by warranting.
    But, dont pay before full inspection, and drive it. Guys are really mad at CPO rules not allowing this.

3. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

What sort of mileage is there on the car?

If it has more than 50 miles on it then it will typically be a demo car. So it will have been driven but well cared for and may show some signs of that but the detailing should return it close to 'new'. You are getting a decent discount though so be reasonable in your expectations.

You may want to do a little research on what has changed since 12/2107 as you will be missing out on the new MCU for example so you'll have the older, less responsive large display in the car and I'm sure there were a few other small things as well.

4. edlin303

edlin303 Member

Depending on number of miles, it will likely have some paint scratches if not chips, maybe curb rash, maybe gentle wear on the inside. Don't expect them to do anything about any of those, so it's best to check it out in person before and bring the checklist from this site so you don't miss anything. Mechanical issues they should fix, but not cosmetic unless you find some way to get them to budge on it.

5. delsky

delsky Member

It is hard to find what has changed completely. I think the front dash component has more of the white vegan learher, of course the old mcu, and maybe no lights in the vanity mirrors? I do have an opportunity for a newer manufactured with cream and figured as interior, 3 times the miles, but new mcu, and $2500 more. Sort of hoping that test drive vehicles would have minimal construction errors, and perform optimally?

6. delsky

delsky Member

7. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

@delsky what specs and how much discount ?

8. delsky

delsky Member

I1300 discount, with AP,premium interior package, white vegan leather with dark ash, and glass roof.

9. Need

Need Active Member

Showroom cars are also considered as Inventory cars. We didn't know that until we signed the paper on the delivery day. It doesn't make any difference to us, but I thought they should have disclosed that when we ordered.

10. NickFie

NickFie Member

Our Demo S100D - manufactured July 2017, Delivered November 2017 with about 1,100 miles - was in excellent mechanical condition. Also, no visible blemishes.

I figured the 1,100 miles was a plus. Tesla has shaken out and repaired the bugs for us!

11. delsky

delsky Member

That i learned from here, seemed the “new used” inventory cars csn be test drive or showroom, maybe even loaners. We almost got a showroom (everything i wanted) but i missed the call, and when i called back an hour later it was gone... but in retrospect was a 9 month old car with 123 miles or so!

12. Mark_T

Mark_T Member

Even a 50 mile car could be a showroom car, but I think I'd probably have avoided one that was 9 moths old as that is a lot of wear &tear on seats, switch gear trunk/frunk etc. and a lot of people and their kids brushing up against the paintwork.

Also a number of updates in the built components over that many months...