Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory car sitting on lot for six months—is it still okay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My interest was piqued by that spreadsheet someone put together showing dozens and dozens of LR RWDs for a base price of around 45,500. It is tempting to consider picking up one of those. However, Tesla stopped building these in October so they’ve just been sitting on a lot for six months.

Does anyone know if Tesla regularly runs/services long term inventory cars? At six months just sitting there, beyond the battery, you start to worry about other things like ball bearings and fluids, etc. But if they are driven around the parking lot even once every month or so by employees that would be reassuring. My hunch is that that does not happen.

Does anyone have this intel?

I’d be concerned about the oil (sealed?) in the motor, and any ball bearings, hinges, etc. I know there are few moving parts etc. but there are some. And re battery, do they regularly charge them in the lots? As far as I know being fully discharged is pretty terrible for a battery. And I believe the Model 3 battery warranty carves out quite a bit of room for degradation. It’d be something to get an 80% degraded LR battery that was seen as on spec for the warranty yet matched that of a MR car.

However, Tesla stopped building these in October so they’ve just been sitting on a lot for six months.

I know for sure of at least one LR RWD that was marked as built in November (and it was discounted 3k as an inventory vehicle, even though it had no miles and was brand new). They may have even built some after that; really no idea. Anyway, that would only be about three months sitting around. Check the build date on the B pillar.

You could probably pick one up at a significant discount, possibly one with nothing wrong with it.

The battery discharge would be a minor concern but they’d really only have to plug it in a couple times to keep it healthy over 3 months. And it has protection from full discharge anyway. I’d just check the extrapolated full charge range from the % charge vs. rated miles, on delivery, to make sure the battery seems good. Should really do this anyway.

I would also make sure the car has no miles on it (less than 20-30 anyway).

Reactions: neroden
gas cars sit on dealer lots forever before they are sold, whats the difference..

people buying teslas sound like they are buying ticking time bombs lol

Agreed.

ICE cars sit on lots for months. Sometimes a year. And that has a lot more things bathed in oil / fluid. Way more seals to dry out. And they tend to be fine.

If the price is right, there is no reason to worry about it sitting.

Car dealers try to clear out cars by 90 days to avoid flooring costs. However, they aren't always successful at doing this and some cars sit around for a while. That is why certain cars are discounted and or the dealer is more willing to haggle over them. The longer it sits the more money they pay. So just like others said cars can be on the lot for a long time. If you are getting a discount, everything looks good to you, buy it.

My interest was piqued by that spreadsheet someone put together showing dozens and dozens of LR RWDs for a base price of around 45,500. It is tempting to consider picking up one of those. However, Tesla stopped building these in October so they’ve just been sitting on a lot for six months.

Does anyone know if Tesla regularly runs/services long term inventory cars? At six months just sitting there, beyond the battery, you start to worry about other things like ball bearings and fluids, etc. But if they are driven around the parking lot even once every month or so by employees that would be reassuring. My hunch is that that does not happen.

Does anyone have this intel?
It’d be a great buy. It’s not like the gas is going to go bad...seriously, the tires might be the only thing to worry about but those are easily inspectable and the cars probably have moved periodically for charging and the general moving around of inventory.