Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory Car with AP2 - What features work right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty close to pulling the trigger on an inventory 75D with Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self Driving enabled. I know (I think?) that none of the Full Self Driving features work at this time but Im pretty confused on the Enhanced Autopilot.

I've seen comments that say the AP2 (Enhanced Autopilot) actually have less features currently working than AP1?
I test drove a Model S at the local store with had AP1 and did the Autopilot on the freeway, which was great - is that feature working on AP2 right now...both on the freeway and on surface streets? What about other futures such as emergency breaking and other safety features?

Thanks.

No one knows, but it's a decent guess that Elon has an internal goal of Dec 25th for the software release, which would include Enhanced Autopilot and the Ludicrous mode improvements. [i.e. Merry Christmas Tesla owners]

Are you getting any decent savings for an inventory order vs a custom build? I've been checking the listings and really don't see any savings.

Also since FSD is fairy tales right now you should ask them to remove and pay for it in 3 years when it is an actual option.

Depending on firmware, none will be available. Even auto lights and wipers and whatnot.

Incorrect ... Tesla starts adding features to new Autopilot cars in order to match the older version

Tesla promises that its new Autopilot hardware will enable all of its new vehicles to eventually reach level 5 autonomous driving capability, but in the meantime, they are lacking several features that have long been available in its cars equipped with the first generation Autopilot. Over the weekend, Tesla started pushing a new update to start adding those features, but new owners will have to wait a little longer for features most associated with Autopilot, like Autosteer or Traffic-aware cruise control.

Those are expected to arrive by the end of the month with version 8.1 of Tesla’s software, which should also come with several user interface improvements and an updated mobile app that will also be helpful to owners without the new Autopilot hardware.

As for the update pushed over-the-air this weekend, it added features such as Auto-dimming headlights and touchscreen, which are not really associated with Tesla’s Autopilot, but they rely on the same sensor suite to detect their environment and dim appropriately. Therefore, the feature needed to be adapted to the new sensor architecture. Side collision warning and Speed assist have also been enabled by the new update. Here’s a list of the features available in vehicles with Autopilot 1, but not Autopilot 2. The ones currently being pushed to new vehicles are Underlined strikethrough:

• Auto windshield wipers
  • Auto low beam headlights
  • Auto high beam headlights
  • Auto-dimming touchscreen B instrument cluster
  • Park assist
  • Blind spot detection
  • Forward collision warning
  • Auto emergency braking
  • Side collision warning
  • Side collision avoidance
  • Lane departure warning
  • Speed assist
  • Traffic-aware cruise control
  • Autosteer
  • Auto lane change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
Again, version 8.1 is expected to bring vehicles with the second generation Autopilot hardware on par with the previous generation and further updates will start improving from there. Tesla CEO Elon Musk expects that the fully autonomous software could be ready around this time next year, but in the meantime, owners will be able to enjoy “Enhanced Autopilot” features with more accurate auto-steering and more advanced “Summon”.

Reactions: GeekfromFRL
Incorrect ... Tesla starts adding features to new Autopilot cars in order to match the older version

Tesla promises that its new Autopilot hardware will enable all of its new vehicles to eventually reach level 5 autonomous driving capability, but in the meantime, they are lacking several features that have long been available in its cars equipped with the first generation Autopilot. Over the weekend, Tesla started pushing a new update to start adding those features, but new owners will have to wait a little longer for features most associated with Autopilot, like Autosteer or Traffic-aware cruise control.

Those are expected to arrive by the end of the month with version 8.1 of Tesla’s software, which should also come with several user interface improvements and an updated mobile app that will also be helpful to owners without the new Autopilot hardware.

As for the update pushed over-the-air this weekend, it added features such as Auto-dimming headlights and touchscreen, which are not really associated with Tesla’s Autopilot, but they rely on the same sensor suite to detect their environment and dim appropriately. Therefore, the feature needed to be adapted to the new sensor architecture. Side collision warning and Speed assist have also been enabled by the new update. Here’s a list of the features available in vehicles with Autopilot 1, but not Autopilot 2. The ones currently being pushed to new vehicles are Underlined strikethrough:

• Auto windshield wipers
  • Auto low beam headlights
  • Auto high beam headlights
  • Auto-dimming touchscreen B instrument cluster
  • Park assist
  • Blind spot detection
  • Forward collision warning
  • Auto emergency braking
  • Side collision warning
  • Side collision avoidance
  • Lane departure warning
  • Speed assist
  • Traffic-aware cruise control
  • Autosteer
  • Auto lane change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
Again, version 8.1 is expected to bring vehicles with the second generation Autopilot hardware on par with the previous generation and further updates will start improving from there. Tesla CEO Elon Musk expects that the fully autonomous software could be ready around this time next year, but in the meantime, owners will be able to enjoy “Enhanced Autopilot” features with more accurate auto-steering and more advanced “Summon”.

Wow that is pretty crazy. How do you start selling cars without having those all ironed out? I have to put a lot of faith that these will actually happen, because Im paying quite a bit for them and all the ones not available, are the reasons Im considering the Tesla over other cars.

To add...are you saying that current cars with AP1 and Firmware 8.0 still have all those features working? It obviously *probably* wouldn't be smart to guy an AP1 car but again, wow.

Wow that is pretty crazy. How do you start selling cars without having those all ironed out? I have to put a lot of faith that these will actually happen, because Im paying quite a bit for them and all the ones not available, are the reasons Im considering the Tesla over other cars.

To add...are you saying that current cars with AP1 and Firmware 8.0 still have all those features working? It obviously *probably* wouldn't be smart to guy an AP1 car but again, wow.

Correct ... the current AP1 cars have the features working while the AP2 will need to catch up this year and then exceed AP1 next year :cool:

And just to confirm, it IS crazy to even consider an AP1 car right, riiight?

Not necessarily. I traded in my 2015 S85 2 weeks ago (so I could get an S with v2 hardware) and Tesla sold it in less than a week. I suspect there are folks out there that are not all that interested in full autonomy but do like the idea of getting a steep discount on the safest car on the planet.

(BTW, my "My Tesla" page changed a few hours ago showing my new S started production today. Yea! :) )

Well crap! I pulled the trigger on the inventory car, gave my rep my payment info, only to get a call shortly after that the car already sold a couple hours earlier but the system wasn't updated.

I think I'll just order one. That way I can get it exactly as I want, not spend extra on the AWD, and by the time it arrives the AP2 functions should be all sorted out.

HX_Guy - You mentioned collecting in SF - be careful as you have to pay CA sales tax if you collect there. As long as your location is higher than 9.something you're OK as you can offset (probably) but if lower - you do not want to collect in CA. I see you are likely buy new, but thought I'd mention it in case another inventory one catches your eye.

As for AP1 or AP2. I just got a CPO with AP1 as I don't believe the claims AP2 will ever deliver full autonomy with the current sensors (certainly not for 100% of driving requirements) and I wanted a car now. The idea of buying the possibility of future updates is fine, and Tesla will deliver on some of it's promises if not all - I just think the timeframe might be much longer than buyer or vendor hopes and expects at this point. So AP1 was a known entity - I don't expect it to go much further (as development focus will be AP2 - which will get further, but not all the way to FSD - in my very personal own analysis of the situation).

Without looking at FSD, are there supposed to be any differences between AP1 and AP2 in regards to other features? Basically, does AP2 have any advantages aside from potential of FSD later down the road?

Yes, I expect huge benefits of AP2 compared to AP1 even for freeway driving. Though AP1 was pretty good, there were many corner cases that it didn't handle well (one example is that it cannot detect a very close car on adjacent lanes in front of the car due to limited field of view of the single camera).

With AP2, I am hoping that I can trust the car even more. Though, it may be bad since I may start to become more reliant on the car thereby not paying attention more, it would be a good step forward in the overall driving experience :)

Without looking at FSD, are there supposed to be any differences between AP1 and AP2 in regards to other features? Basically, does AP2 have any advantages aside from potential of FSD later down the road?

Totally agree with ab26, expectation is more cameras will deliver much more. As being discussed elsewhere in a number of threads, from different angles many of the things which limited AP1 remain with a camera based system. In Phoenix snow and ice are not likely to blind your AP as much as they do here in CO. However I have seen bright winter sun on a wet road blind it already (in only 2 weeks of ownership).

More cameras may well help with that, and so could better differential GPS - but there are still many ways to blind the cameras. With regards to other vehicles, the radar range and coverage are much superior in AP2 - so proximity protection (blind spot, overtaking vehicle, left/right ahead, etc) should all be much improved once the software comes to support the new hardware.