Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory Car with AP2 - What features work right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HX_Guy - You mentioned collecting in SF - be careful as you have to pay CA sales tax if you collect there. As long as your location is higher than 9.something you're OK as you can offset (probably) but if lower - you do not want to collect in CA. I see you are likely buy new, but thought I'd mention it in case another inventory one catches your eye.

Hmm, is it different with Tesla vs other car manufacturers since they don't have a traditional dealer network setup?

I've purchased two cars in California before and drove them back to AZ. All I got in CA was a temp registration, never had to register it and didnt pay any sales tax. If I remember correctly, the dealership set up everything based on AZ taxes.

Well my understanding from talking to Tesla in CA, a wholesaler who imports from CA and some background reading was that the sales tax is due at the point of delivery in CA if purchased from a 'dealership' - including Tesla. That's consistent with sales tax for many other transactions, so I did not dig deeper - I had Tesla ship it here and paid CO taxes on it (Tesla collects State sales tax at point of delivery, and the the county/city get there's when it is registered).

As a CA taxpayer (through business transactions in CA) - it seems every rule they have is designed to ensure you pay sales tax - regardless. Guess that's what happens when your budget is upside down for a few decades.

Obviously get your own advice - just wanted to flag what might be a big surprise when you took delivery.

Wow that is pretty crazy. How do you start selling cars without having those all ironed out? I have to put a lot of faith that these will actually happen, because Im paying quite a bit for them and all the ones not available, are the reasons Im considering the Tesla over other cars.

To add...are you saying that current cars with AP1 and Firmware 8.0 still have all those features working? It obviously *probably* wouldn't be smart to guy an AP1 car but again, wow.
If you are going to buy a Tesla you need to be comfortable with the fact that they have the ability to, and will change/add/remove features on a regular basis with over-the-air updates.

Well my understanding from talking to Tesla in CA, a wholesaler who imports from CA and some background reading was that the sales tax is due at the point of delivery in CA if purchased from a 'dealership' - including Tesla. That's consistent with sales tax for many other transactions, so I did not dig deeper - I had Tesla ship it here and paid CO taxes on it (Tesla collects State sales tax at point of delivery, and the the county/city get there's when it is registered).

As a CA taxpayer (through business transactions in CA) - it seems every rule they have is designed to ensure you pay sales tax - regardless. Guess that's what happens when your budget is upside down for a few decades.

Obviously get your own advice - just wanted to flag what might be a big surprise when you took delivery.

Thanks for the heads up on that EV-Soon, it definitely helped in my decision. I pulled the trigger on another inventory car out of California and had you not informed me on the sales tax, I probably have have picked it up (near Sacramento) vs having it shipping to Phoenix. The sales tax though would have been 1.4% higher than locally, which on a car of this price comes out to $1380, plus flight out there and time spent. I'd much rather have it delivered for the extra $620, which is the route I went.

BTW my Tesla rep said the tax has to do with it being an electric vehicle, vs other vehicles you do not pay sales tax in California if you do not register it in California.

Reactions: Dead