TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Inventory car with good discount vs custom order with new MCU

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by acpTLA, Mar 16, 2018.

1. acpTLA

acpTLA Member

hi all,

I am waiting long to get X and finally find a good discount inventory 100D but see the new of the new MCU. I want to hear people option/advice on if you rather take an inventory car with good discount or transfer this deposit to the new custom order so you can get the new intel MCU. I am in this situation right now.

2. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

I don’t think this question is possible to answer. I am like you considering an inventory car, but of course it will be older, won’t have a new MCU and will come with a significant discount. Is the discount worth it an older VIN? I think only you can decide that.

3. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

cheaper vs newest tech? only you can answer.

4. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

#4 Derek Kessler, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Is a faster computer you only occasionally interact with worth the thousands of dollars it'll cost you to move from discounted inventory to new custom order? I'd say no.

• Like x 4
  5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

I agree -- it's mostly a personal decision. Also, how big is the discount on the X100D?

As an alternative, if you are considering a custom build 100D, maybe "trade up" to an Inventory P100D with the old MCU. I can assure you you'll get A LOT more enjoyment out of P100D with MCU1 than 100D with MCU2.

Good luck!

6. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

All being said, the new MCU is a very good reason to negotiate the maximum discount on inventory cars during the current end-of-quarter sale this time around.

• Like x 1
  7. acpTLA

acpTLA Member

Thanks a lot of for your post. I do agreed It will come down to my own decision but love to hear if anyone hear other comments because the new intel MCU thread is very active and a lot of people said the MCU is one of the biggest change after the AP2. If there discount is small, it is very easy decision to me but it is a good discount. I never experience the new MCU. Is that bigger lead forward?

When OA scored me the car, it already has set discount price (I should say price adjustment). I asked her if there is any additional more discount after the news of new MCU. She said NO. It was one the most discounted ones with all the option loaded out of the current North East region. She also said you have a choice to move to custom car to get new MCU (you won't lose your deposit).

• Helpful x 1
  8. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

It looks like everyone agrees - if money is no issue buy the new MCU car. If saving a few bucks is important buy the old MCU.

I love my P85D - my favorite 4 wheeled vehicle. The old MCU has not ruined my life or the car.

BTW -I picked it up a month before the P90D was released. I did go crying back to the dealer and demand an upgrade. If you worry about the next upgrade don't buy a Tesla. I am hoping everyone who is pushing off their car for the new MCU gets their new MCU a month before another big upgrade :)

• Funny x 1
  9. cartech

cartech Member

You are going to keep the car for at least few more years. And if you are financing the additional monthly amount is no that much IMO in return for the latest hardware possible at this moment. The only thing that sucks is the wait on custom order, otherwise personally I would prefer having the latest tech for little additional money every month over the discounted inventory car with older tech. That's my opinion but everyone preference is different, think what's important for you and good luck :)

10. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

you could always get a CPO 100D with a new MCU in 6 months..

• Like x 1
  11. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

I think the problem is good inventory car deal is not little less money. I am looking at a fully loaded inventory 100D with over 20k discount. Would you pick custom order with new MCU for 20k?

12. cartech

cartech Member

For me I want the latest tech so yes I would still choose custom build over inventory with old tech. Is it worth over 20k in actual? May be not. But I'm not spending around 100k on a car often so when I'm spending that much I would pay up a little more if it's getting me newer components and keeps me more future proof. Not saying every one agrees or should do this but that's what I think.

13. Raechris

Raechris Member

I would take the discount.

14. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Pretty solid logic, but unfortunately you can’t chase Tesla innovations. You just can’t. Imagine if you went with upgraded MCU and plunked down extra 20k then found out that complete refresh came 2 weeks after you took delivery. Double hit.

• Like x 3
  15. cartech

cartech Member

Yeah agree you can't chase latest tech since new stuff comes all the time. But I'm all in on getting that latest available tech over the discount, since at this point that's the latest and if something comes up few months later I'll live with that. But I don't want to regret not getting latest when I had the option. Obviously money is factor and if saving that money is important over the latest tech then nothing wrong.

16. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Different strokes I guess. I am protecting my large investment by getting the lowest possible price I can.

• Like x 3
  17. outie

outie Active Member

When I ordered my first X in 2016, there were no inventory vehicles as they were still catching up with the custom orders. By the time I took delivery in September 2016, inventory with discounts actually started to show up. That was when EM told the public Tesla does not offer discount on ordered cars, only cars with miles get discounted (what is now known as inventory cars). A week or two later AP2 came out and I lost sleep for a night as I paid full MSRP for an obsolete car.

Since then I told myself if I was to get a new Tesla I’d get an inventory car, with discount, and with the tech I already know what’s on the car.

Fast forward to February 2018 I need to get a replacement vehicle. No inventory existed. I had to custom order. Although there’s some inventory cars available now, nothing matches what I need. Now knowing there’s MCU2 for my new car, I am even more hesitated to get an inventory without it.

There’s no right answer. It really depends what’s important to you. It is totally possible there will be new features only available for the new MCU2 down the road. We don’t know and Tesla probably doesn’t know either until they hit that roadblock. Do keep in mind the MCU is very old, almost ancient in today’s standard. It’s not like they’ve been upgrading the MCU in a yearly basis. It’s the same chip they used since day 1. Could the new MCU2 bring mobile device mirroring? New apps? Who knows? Whatever it is it will be much faster on the new platform, be it Firmware v9 or v10. This new platform could be with all the cars for the next 5 years.

Now if MCU2 is important to you and you still want a discount, the answer is simple. Just wait for few more months and there will be inventory cars with MCU2 for sale.

• Like x 1
  18. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Well, maybe. It’s pretty much a consensus at this point that tax credit will start going away around 9/18. So if you don’t get an inventory car by the end of next quarter, you may not get the tax credit making the discount not as sweet.

To me all that MCU business is only important in terms of self driving. I am thinking of paying for FSD when I get my inventory MX. Wouldn’t that force them to upgrade MCU and other components when FSD finally comes out? What do you think?

19. outie

outie Active Member

MCU is only for the infotainment and IC. AP2/FSD uses the nvidia gpu.

20. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Thanks for explanation. In this case, I am definitely not paying 20k for better browser :)))

• Like x 2