TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Inventory Cars - Are higher VINs better?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by jskenney, Jun 20, 2017.

1. jskenney

jskenney Happy Member

I am considering trading in my Model S 70D for an inventory X75D. There are a few that I am interested in, one with a VIN in the 30000s, one in the 40000s, and one in the 50000 range. Have there been any notable changes since the 30000 VINs that should push me to a more recent build?

2. animorph

animorph Member

I'd go for the later VIN, all other things being equal. There's new stuff continuously being introduced, including fixes for previous problems. Like new buttons for the FWD's that show an open and closed door rather than a push/pull switch that I have to figure out each time I use it. That kind of stuff doesn't necessarily show up in lists of changes.

• Like x 1
  3. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

VINs aren't always chronological. By the time my VIN was delivered, there were inventory VINs 4000 higher than mine out there. Though all things being equal, I'd go for the higher VIN since you don't have anything else to go off of.

4. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Conventional wisdom says go for higher VIN, BUT this is not always true. Look at this thread:

Tesla Service/Quality control is still as bad as ever I guess

Higher VIN car, terrible QC. My MX VIN is 25xx and its put together much better. Plus older VIN models may have options are not currently offered like ventilated seats, active spoiler, unlimited supercharging, etc.

5. jskenney

jskenney Happy Member

Thanks, the only change I have noticed in the forums is the switches for the FWD and removal of some options. Is there a list of changes for the X?

6. animorph

animorph Member

Most of the changes will be minor and not publicly disclosed. Stuff like better grounding, different bolts, different rearview cameras. Elon tweeted something like 40-50 changes a month IIRC. No list for that stuff. And much of it could just be supplier changes or because it's cheaper.