Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory Cars - Are higher VINs better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jskenney

Happy Member
Mar 22, 2013
Maryland
I am considering trading in my Model S 70D for an inventory X75D. There are a few that I am interested in, one with a VIN in the 30000s, one in the 40000s, and one in the 50000 range. Have there been any notable changes since the 30000 VINs that should push me to a more recent build?

I'd go for the later VIN, all other things being equal. There's new stuff continuously being introduced, including fixes for previous problems. Like new buttons for the FWD's that show an open and closed door rather than a push/pull switch that I have to figure out each time I use it. That kind of stuff doesn't necessarily show up in lists of changes.

Reactions: techmaven
VINs aren't always chronological. By the time my VIN was delivered, there were inventory VINs 4000 higher than mine out there. Though all things being equal, I'd go for the higher VIN since you don't have anything else to go off of.

Most of the changes will be minor and not publicly disclosed. Stuff like better grounding, different bolts, different rearview cameras. Elon tweeted something like 40-50 changes a month IIRC. No list for that stuff. And much of it could just be supplier changes or because it's cheaper.