Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory cars gone, inventory cars remain...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checking the inventory new cars for sale in my area, there are plenty of MYs on the list. Funny thing, they all are priced just over $55K. I suppose all the ones that changed price last week to under $55K are gone. I've been reading stories that has happened everywhere.

What will happen to all of these $55,990 cars (8 of them available today near me). Sure would be hard to justify the $1000 to hitch on these...just order one, delivery is now within 2 months, and add on the tow hitch after delivery. I just suspect they will have a hard time moving these cars. They can't just offer them at a discount without changing the MSRP, since that is what the tax rebate is based on.

Small issue in the bigger picture, just wondering who would consider such a purchase. Someone who has to have 20 inch wheels and red paint (or some combination of color, wheels, and hitch) and doesn't want the rebate, I guess.

Checking the inventory new cars for sale in my area, there are plenty of MYs on the list. Funny thing, they all are priced just over $55K. I suppose all the ones that changed price last week to under $55K are gone. I've been reading stories that has happened everywhere.

What will happen to all of these $55,990 cars (8 of them available today near me). Sure would be hard to justify the $1000 to hitch on these...just order one, delivery is now within 2 months, and add on the tow hitch after delivery. I just suspect they will have a hard time moving these cars. They can't just offer them at a discount without changing the MSRP, since that is what the tax rebate is based on.

Small issue in the bigger picture, just wondering who would consider such a purchase. Someone who has to have 20 inch wheels and red paint (or some combination of color, wheels, and hitch) and doesn't want the rebate, I guess.
Cars left over due to options not fitting under the IRA limit, not much they can do about that.

I think they’ll sit around for a while and slowly get picked off over the next several months by people not concerned with the tax credit.

Moving forward you can bet few more will be made and Tesla will shift their production mix for the next 3 months to almost exclusively sub-$55k or 3-row configs.

Why wouldn't I? Just really comes down to whether they think they need to access the demand from the $7500 bonus or if they'd rather hold the inventory and try to get $990 from people that don't care.
The price is set for any color combo. If you Need hitch, wheels, etc you can buy them any time you wish later. Not everyone is under the tax level or care and they Still get a great deal on a car. Win/win

Maybe they can swap out the Induction wheels on those inventory cars to Gemini if they have trouble moving them. They probably shouldn't put Inductions or tow hitch on any inventory cars going forward as long as the IRA price cap is in place.

BTW, as a P owner, I kind of like that they are over the price cap. Makes our car feel (very slightly) more special. LOL!

Reactions: Prodock