Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory cars, same price as ordering brand new

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps because they don't have to discount further to sell them?

My understanding (I could be wrong!) is that mileage (of demo cars/loaners) and how long it has been in inventory both have impacts on the cost -- but they're pretty small. I'd have to ask a sales person (talked with one about this back in November.

I spent weeks shopping for a CPO Model S and ended up ordering a new one because there was little difference in price that wasn't accounted for by the miles on the CPO car. Save $1,500 and get a car with 1,500 miles??? Why not spend the extra $1,500 and get exactly what you want, brand spanking new!

I spent weeks shopping for a CPO Model S and ended up ordering a new one because there was little difference in price that wasn't accounted for by the miles on the CPO car. Save $1,500 and get a car with 1,500 miles??? Why not spend the extra $1,500 and get exactly what you want, brand spanking new!

$1,500 discount for 1,500 miles is definitely a joke. Once that car drives off the lot, the price plummets regardless of who's driving it. They're taking advantage of the high demand and low patience of many buyers. (Can't say I blame them, but it's still not a wise purchase.)

The $5000 discount robert774 got for 450 miles is much more in line with reality. Nice score, robert! :)

There's no discount right now because they sold all the old loaners to inflate year end numbers, and all the inventory cars right now are effectively new, no point in discounting them.

I bought an inventory car back in October, and it was discounted by over $25,000 for $500 I wouldn't have bothered.

Sounds like Tesla is all over the map on inventory car pricing. I bought one in November 2015 with 300 miles on it - I got a $3500 discount off the price. It happened to be almost exactly what I was looking for anyway - and it was delivered in a bit under a month.

There's no discount right now because they sold all the old loaners to inflate year end numbers, and all the inventory cars right now are effectively new, no point in discounting them.

I bought an inventory car back in October, and it was discounted by over $25,000 for $500 I wouldn't have bothered.

How in the world did you get a $25K discount? Had the vehicle been wrecked or perhaps a buyback? How many miles did it have on it when you took delivery? That's just insane, what a bargain!

How in the world did you get a $25K discount? Had the vehicle been wrecked or perhaps a buyback? How many miles did it have on it when you took delivery? That's just insane, what a bargain!
It was inventory, not CPO, no damage, 11000km (6800miles) 12 months old. was also a discontinued model (P85+) in a discontinued colour (green) and had been sitting on the CPO site for over a month unsold with a small price drop each week. if it helps any the discount was in Canadian dollars which aren't worth as much as your US dollars, but it was actually more than the $27,000 effectively, because the price of new cars also went up and that wasn't factored in to the price used for the discount calculations.

I'm fully willing to admit I got an amazing deal, and it just happened to be the perfect config for me too, right down to the colours (always wanted the green!)

TF? I was looking at inventory when I ordered my new 85D in Sept, and all we could find were vehicles discounted 2,500 -5K at the most.

Last edited:

thats exactly correct (IMO). No need to aggressively discount now since Q4 is over! Model S supply is going to be much more constrained moving forward in Q1 since tesla now needs to crank out tons of MX. MS production could be as little has half of production later in Q1 with the other half being MX.

I would have been happy to consider a CPO or Inventory P85D. Tesla was discounting them by around $11,000 - $13,000, depending on miles. There were two problems though.

First, All the Inventory cars were based on the old price structure, thus had original prices $5,000 higher than what they are today for the same car. With Inventory cars, at least they are still sold as a new car, so you get the full warranty plus tax breaks, but the $11,000 to $13,000 discount now was only $6,000 to $8,000 and sacrificing 10,000 to 15,000 miles.

Problem #2 and this may not be an issue on all inventory cars, but for the P85D's, it appears that Tesla only put absolutely fully loaded cars into the demo/loaner fleet. Probably to "advertise" all that's available to those driving it. The problem for me was, I didn't need all of those options. $4,500 wheels had no value to me. Sub-Zero package at $1,000 had no value to me in California. So that's $5,500 more I had to pay for those cars for things I didn't want, reducing my discount to $500 to $3,000, again giving up more than 10,000 miles for what was still a "used" vehicle. I ended up ordering my car with every option I WANTED for $13,000 less than the original prices of the inventory cars and actually saved money and still got EXACTLY what I wanted.

I picked a good time order at the end of November and had my car 3 weeks later. But even today, if you're spending $80,000 to $130,000 on a car, even a 2 month wait is probably worth making sure you get EXACTLY what you want and don't pay for options you have no interest in. Plus you'll have the peace of mind knowing that you're the only one who's driven the car. How many people do you know that actually care about a demo or loaner car they drive???? None that I'm aware of. They all get driven quite hard as people test their limits. Add that to 10,000 miles on the tires and you'll be replacing tires sooner than later.

Unless you absolutely can't wait a couple of months, I'd order a new one and get what you pay for.

First, All the Inventory cars were based on the old price structure, thus had original prices $5,000 higher than what they are today for the same car. With Inventory cars, at least they are still sold as a new car, so you get the full warranty plus tax breaks, but the $11,000 to $13,000 discount now was only $6,000 to $8,000 and sacrificing 10,000 to 15,000 miles.
As a Canadian this worked in my favour as the new price structure here was significantly higher than the old price structure (the reverse of your case) which made my $27,000 discount actually more like a $35,000 discount

Problem #2 and this may not be an issue on all inventory cars, but for the P85D's, it appears that Tesla only put absolutely fully loaded cars into the demo/loaner fleet. Probably to "advertise" all that's available to those driving it. The problem for me was, I didn't need all of those options. $4,500 wheels had no value to me. Sub-Zero package at $1,000 had no value to me in California. So that's $5,500 more I had to pay for those cars for things I didn't want, reducing my discount to $500 to $3,000, again giving up more than 10,000 miles for what was still a "used" vehicle. I ended up ordering my car with every option I WANTED for $13,000 less than the original prices of the inventory cars and actually saved money and still got EXACTLY what I wanted.
While this is true, what happened to me is that I ended up with a higher spec vehicle than I would have ordered, but still $20,000 less than I would have paid on what I had configured online. So there's maybe $7000-$15000 of that discount that didn't help me much, but I'm still $20000 ahead, and have options I wouldn't have otherwise paid for.

I should add that not all inventory cars I looked at were like this, When I asked the local sales people about inventory cars I was given the option of buying a vehicle that was missing some options I wanted, cost more than I had configured, and was discounted by less than $1000. But this was at a brand new store, why sell your one new demo car if you don't have to? The inventory car I ended up with came from the other end of the country, and the local people didn't help me find it at all, (luckily it was listed on the CPO site because I'm not sure I would have thought to call the other stores to ask about inventory cars, I probably would have assumed the local store would have looked everywhere like they claimed to have done)

It was inventory, not CPO, no damage, 11000km (6800miles) 12 months old. was also a discontinued model (P85+) in a discontinued colour (green) and had been sitting on the CPO site for over a month unsold with a small price drop each week. if it helps any the discount was in Canadian dollars which aren't worth as much as your US dollars, but it was actually more than the $27,000 effectively, because the price of new cars also went up and that wasn't factored in to the price used for the discount calculations.

I'm fully willing to admit I got an amazing deal, and it just happened to be the perfect config for me too, right down to the colours (always wanted the green!)

I agree, there are inventory cars to be had for good prices, you just have to be patient and ready to buy. I snagged one for that was $35,000 off sticker (includes tax break). It is a late 2014 P85 car with 17K miles and Autopilot no less. The Tesla dealer that had it kept it in excellent shape and you get the 50K mile warranty from the mile you buy it at.

Inventory cars can be had at a discount but with a little bit of luck on your side. Waiting for end of quarter or even end of year can garner some better discounts than other times.

I bought my inventory September 2015 car with 2280 miles on it and saved about 8% off the custom order price. I had to pay $1500 transport charge :scared: but the savings more than made up for it. I got more than what I wanted but more importantly, got 100% of my "must-haves". I put a deposit on it 12/8 and picked up 12/30 so faster than a custom build and I got it in time to get the tax incentives for last year. I'm very happy with it and even happier that I didn't pay full price!

Interestingly, my car did not have AP enabled when it was first produced (the window sticker did not mention AP). Apparently, they added AP afterwards but never got it reflected in the price. The OA discovered this after I put the deposit down. Not that it affected the total price I finally paid but it was an added discount I didn't know I had. I'm REALLY happy with AP and feel even better I got it for "free"! :tongue:

I used ev-cpo.com to find the inventory car that I purchased in December. If you register on the site then you can use the search function to help whittle down the list of cars shown on the site. I wanted autopilot and the cold weather package at the lowest possible price so I waited for several weeks until an S60 with those options popped on the site then I went to the Tesla site to buy. I don't have any clue how the info gets pulled from Tesla to the site but it produced a great end result for me.