TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Inventory Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by RKap, Mar 27, 2018.

1. RKap

RKap Member

I just did a quick search and didn't find what I'm looking for, so I'm asking here (feel free to point me to relevant thread).

I have a Model X, which is our family car. My husband is finally going to replace his 11 year old Prius with an electric car. Since the X is our main/family/travel car, he's looking for an electric car to commute, including commuting to various longer distances in the Bay Area (meaning pathetic range electrics aren't in our consideration). We do not have a Model 3 reservation and we are not considering it due to the amount of time it'll take to get one. This means he is considering a Bolt...or an inventory 75D Model S. Laughable comparison, I know.

What are the cons of an inventory (5K miles) 75D Model S? We bought our X more than a year ago, so I haven't had my head in these forums in awhile. Thanks for any help.

2. DrReid

DrReid Member

FYI if you order a 3 you jump to the front of the line as you are a current owner.

• Like x 2
  3. RKap

RKap Member

I didn't know that! Interesting... I'll look into it. Thanks. I haven't looked into the M3 at all really, so I'm not sure of the issues (aside from getting one). We are very spoiled by my MX, so the S is very appealing.

4. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Active Member

The inventory Model S likely wouldn't have the new MCU2 in it, but if you're used to your X's screen it would feel the same. If the discount is big enough go for the inventory model (use your own referral code for $500 service or accessory credit and get free unlimited supercharging)!

5. Bigt6542

Bigt6542 Member

As someone said before bring a Tesla owner jumps you to the front of M3 line. I saw someone order and about 3 weeks later hey their model 3. Plus it would help that you live on the west coast. Less transportation time.

If your thinking about range M3 would be the one. Longer range and much cheaper price. I feel the MS is more luxurious and more refined car. If you buy and inventory you want also get dual motor, new MCU and lighted vanity mirrors. I was looking at an inventory before we went with a custom order. For the price difference I was not really saving any money. But I really wanted autopolit and premium package.

6. Trai14

Trai14 New Member

Not sure what your time frame is, but since you have an X, your wait time should be 2 or 3 months. We own a S and our waiting time for the 3 is around 6-7 weeks. Ordered in late Feb and picking up 4/28... hope this helps

7. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

definitely reserve a 3 and you will probably get an invite very quickly and get it in a few months.

8. Trai14

Trai14 New Member

Yes, I reserved in February, got invite to configure couple weeks later and now picking up my 3 tomorrow 4/28