Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen a bunch of references to "inventory Model S" for lower prices than new. I assume these are new vehicles that were made for either cancelled orders or just configured for inventory? Anyhow, we have enjoyed our S85 for 2 years in the Boston area....but we'd really like to have AWD to take advantage of the Superchargers up in ski country during the winter.....

So, my question is....what is the best way to swap my Model S for an Inventory 85D or P85D without having to go through a private sale of my current S85?

I have seen a bunch of references to "inventory Model S" for lower prices than new. I assume these are new vehicles that were made for either cancelled orders or just configured for inventory? Anyhow, we have enjoyed our S85 for 2 years in the Boston area....but we'd really like to have AWD to take advantage of the Superchargers up in ski country during the winter.....

So, my question is....what is the best way to swap my Model S for an Inventory 85D or P85D without having to go through a private sale of my current S85?

Can't you trade it in for a new one? I understand that you place your order for a new one and then after the new one is placed, you search for an inventory car (used for test drives, showrooms, loaner vehicles). If you are flexible in your exterior colors, interior color, and options, you could have one in as early as 2 weeks. Tesla will take your S85 on trade, but I'm hearing you don't get what you can if you sold it privately. To me though, selling it privately is a PITA. Hope this helps.

Oh, and the inventory vehicles have never been titled, and thus are still eligible for the Federal Tax Credit ($7,500).

the real question is how to ask your local DS to look outside their area. Seems a bit impossible to me when my DS said there is only 1 inventory S85D in the whole country and it's brand new (less than 100 miles on it). This was a few months back. I called back recently and they said the same thing, only 1 in the whole country.

I guess the best way is to call other DS outside your area and ask.

the real question is how to ask your local DS to look outside their area. Seems a bit impossible to me when my DS said there is only 1 inventory S85D in the whole country and it's brand new (less than 100 miles on it). This was a few months back. I called back recently and they said the same thing, only 1 in the whole country.

I have had the same experience with only having access to cars in my region. There was an S85D on a train a few weeks ago with 50 miles on it. I was told about it because it was headed for Cleveland (my region). It initially had no discount, then dropped ~2K, then sold. It was still over $100K.

EDIT: and I had no luck with DS outside of my region returning my inquiries....

While I was (impatiently) waiting for the blue to be announced (and for the rear NG seats to return on the order page), I started looking into inventory cars.

My specs were simple: P85D, NG seats (and find out of rears are indeed NG). With those quite broad specs, I was offered a list of only 5 vehicles. Of those 5, 3 had NG rear seats. One of those 3 was nearby, and I put down my reservation $ the next day after test driving the vehicle.

This was in April. Just another data point.

You can do your own search of all regions here Pre-Owned ModelS | Tesla Motors

Walk into any Tesla store about 5 days before the end of the quarter and ask about an inventory 85D. I bet that you could buy one if it's there. Matching your exact specs, however, is another matter. Every store has some limited inventory (probably a 70D and P85D, but maybe an 85D as well) for test drives. Any inventory vehicle sold by June 30th is a sale that will increase the 2nd quarter sales. I've yet to see a young public company who didn't work extra hard around the month, quarter, or year ends to meet milestones.

You can do your own search of all regions here Pre-Owned ModelS | Tesla Motors
Inventory new != CPO

- - - Updated - - -

Any inventory vehicle sold by June 30th is a sale that will increase the 2nd quarter sales. I've yet to see a young public company who didn't work extra hard around the month, quarter, or year ends to meet milestones.
Also, for WA state, sales before end of June are important for customers w/r/t sales tax.

Hmmm. I hope this pushes my delivery into late June!

Walk into any Tesla store about 5 days before the end of the quarter and ask about an inventory 85D. I bet that you could buy one if it's there. Matching your exact specs, however, is another matter. Every store has some limited inventory (probably a 70D and P85D, but maybe an 85D as well) for test drives. Any inventory vehicle sold by June 30th is a sale that will increase the 2nd quarter sales. I've yet to see a young public company who didn't work extra hard around the month, quarter, or year ends to meet milestones.

I assume these are new vehicles that were made for either cancelled orders or just configured for inventory?

They are not new... they've all been used for demos or loaners. All will have some mileage and use -- the higher the mileage, the bigger the discount (the formula used to be: $1/mile+1% per month since built, but it could have changed.) So if you find one with very low mileage, the discount is not going to be significant... it's probably better to just order one new. My inventory car had 8k miles on it when I got it.

And as mentioned above, Inventory cars are NOT the same as CPO. CPO cars as listed on the TM website and my CPO Consolidator (see link below), but Inventory car information is only available to Tesla employees at the galleries.

...And it is because it is the last month of the quarter that there are not a lot of inventory cars available for sale. Pretty much every car that rolls off the assembly line in June is one that has been ordered by a customer and that Tesla wants delivered by June 30. So inventory cars become pretty scarce at the end of every quarter, and they they start to be replenished at the beginning of the next quarter.

Getting a vehicle with 100 miles is a great deal. I would grab it if it had all the options I needed. Been calling several DS and they only look up vehicles in their regions. They will refuse to discuss about any vehicles outside their region. The 'whole country" thing is a lie. vehicles are constantly coming in and being sold. There are some that don't sell and have 8 K miles. The initial discount before the miles being added is worth more. The more miles it has the more likely it will have stains on the seats, minor dents and sign of use. And the new car smell would be non-existent.

...And it is because it is the last month of the quarter that there are not a lot of inventory cars available for sale. Pretty much every car that rolls off the assembly line in June is one that has been ordered by a customer and that Tesla wants delivered by June 30. So inventory cars become pretty scarce at the end of every quarter, and they they start to be replenished at the beginning of the next quarter.
Historically, the available list of inventory cars expands right about now, as Tesla releases a bunch of demo/loaner vehicles for sale, to help boost the quarter's numbers. They only get scarce in the last week or so of the quarter, after they're all sold.

Historically, the available list of inventory cars expands right about now, as Tesla releases a bunch of demo/loaner vehicles for sale, to help boost the quarter's numbers. They only get scarce in the last week or so of the quarter, after they're all sold.

TGA, I thought the demos/loaners were always for sale. How else do you explain that I was offered one still on a train, that was headed to Cincinatti and was supposed to be their showroom car? I might be extrapolating....but I also know we drove out to our SC to test drive a car with coils and someone had test driven it right before us and was buying it (we still got to take it for a drive).

TGA, I thought the demos/loaners were always for sale. How else do you explain that I was offered one still on a train, that was headed to Cincinatti and was supposed to be their showroom car? I might be extrapolating....but I also know we drove out to our SC to test drive a car with coils and someone had test driven it right before us and was buying it (we still got to take it for a drive).
I don't know - maybe that one was a cancelled order? I see your point. However, I was told by someone in the local store that if I was seriously interested in an inventory car, to contact them in the last 3-4 weeks of the quarter, as there would be more choices available (but I didn't really follow up once I made the reservation for the X).