Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory MX Soon - Must haves?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On July 1, I bought a 2016 MX off of Inventory. Midnight, 5-seat Black Leather, FSD, < 25k miles... Kept watching that price drop, then they added unlimited free supercharging, then the price went up, then down again, then dropped it another $600... MINE. As I await delivery from Dallas to Renton, WA (ugh.. why isn't my X here already?!), I cope by retail therapy.

So far I have bought the drawer, the USB key for TeslaCam a metal FOB holder and a 14-30 adapter (house already has a 14-30 ready to rock). What else do I NEED? I do plan on tinting the front windows, and looking at the chrome delete for the handles only (so many choices).

What are some must haves for X owners?

Reactions: EV-CPO
On July 1, I bought a 2016 MX off of Inventory. Midnight, 5-seat Black Leather, FSD, < 25k miles... Kept watching that price drop, then they added unlimited free supercharging, then the price went up, then down again, then dropped it another $600... MINE. As I await delivery from Dallas to Renton, WA (ugh.. why isn't my X here already?!), I cope by retail therapy.

So far I have bought the drawer, the USB key for TeslaCam a metal FOB holder and a 14-30 adapter (house already has a 14-30 ready to rock). What else do I NEED? I do plan on tinting the front windows, and looking at the chrome delete for the handles only (so many choices).

What are some must haves for X owners?

For me, one of my first items was to replace the LED lights with the Abstract Ocean ones. I really, really like the brighter lights in the footwells, as well as the frunk & trunk. Have them in my 3, and it was a no-brainer to add to the X. Pick and Mix LED Lights - Pick and Mix LED Lights Model X - Abstract Ocean

I also added a screen protector; for $20, I figure it's cheap insurance if I do something stupid: Tempered Glass (9H) Screen Protector for the Tesla Model S & X
(And if you ask anyone who knows me in real life, doing stupid things is kinda a specialty!)

• Informative
Reactions: DSolie
Those LEDs are slick. I plan on getting a screen protector as well now too!

Yeah I really like the AO lights. They look great, fit exactly like the originals and brighten the entire cabin up. Good stuff! I’ll try to grab some photos for you tomorrow night so you can see how bright they are.

The screen protector isn’t strictly necessary but I could see myself being that unlucky guy that accidentally chips the corner of the screen with a coffee mug or something.

If you send me a PM, I can send you a code for abstract ocean that’ll save you $10. It’s not much but a little something!

• Helpful
Reactions: DSolie
S/X built at the end of 2016 certainly do have AP2.. and Tesla has been adding FSD to move them fast recently. Combined with the MCU2 upgrade (and the free AP3 hardware with FSD), this is a great way to get the latest hardware at a very reasonable price - and get TeslaCam

Reactions: Fiver
Sounds like an awesome deal. We are checking hte inventory every day, but Senbtry Model is a must for me, so letting a lot of units slide.

Please educate me here if I am wrong, but in order to have Sentry Mode, the car must be listed with FSD and also the side cameras, which you can see in the side view pictures of the listing. Is this correct?

Sounds like an awesome deal. We are checking hte inventory every day, but Senbtry Model is a must for me, so letting a lot of units slide.

Please educate me here if I am wrong, but in order to have Sentry Mode, the car must be listed with FSD and also the side cameras, which you can see in the side view pictures of the listing. Is this correct?

FSD is not needed. The cameras are, however. Even then, if you want to record to USB drive, you need “AP2.5” cameras. I don’t believe the AP2.0 Sentry mode can write to USB; I’d be happy to be corrected if that’s changed.

Any car that has AP 2.5 or later will have sentry mode. AP2 was released around Oct of 2016. AP2.5 was released a little under a year later in Aug of 2017. To the naked eye you can't really tell the difference between the two as 2.0 and 2.5 have (to the outside observer) the same camera setup.

AP3 is standard now (and again, has the same camera setup), but if you bought the FSD package and have a older AP2.0 or 2.5 vehicle they will upgrade your AP computer to 3.0 for free.

MCU1 vs MCU2 is a whole other mess of worms.

Thanks, @Fiver . So even if I see a car that has the cameras in the pictures, how do I confirm it has Sentry Mode before I lock in my $100 and delivery fee? It does not seem to be a feature that is listed, neither SM or AP 2.5.

You can reach out to the used advisors and ask them. I had a few questions on a couple that I had my eye on early on and they were quick to respond.

Reactions: Taoweiji
Thanks guys. Haha, but in your responses lies the problem....human interaction. We have found it damn near impossible to 'communicate' with any human during our search and buying process. Calls and voicemails to the delaership, still unanswered after about 3 weeks. The chat/ app has proven pretty useless too. As was the Tesla rep who we dealt with at delivery. We ended up refusing hte car due to damage to the vehicle.

Now on the search for a better candidate.