TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Inventory order for P85+ With AP

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by cciesingh, Dec 17, 2015.

1. cciesingh

cciesingh Member

I have placed an order to purchase an inventory P85+ Last month for a purchase price of 103k plus taxes

I placed the order for a metallic Silver P85+ with premium sound, AP, smart air suspension , performance seats etc with only 7k mileage. I was advised that I would be purchasing a March 2015 model.

it was very difficult to find a P85 plus with AP and low mileage and desired color / options

Today on the day of pick up (30 days after placing my order) I found out that the vehicle was built in Nov 2014.

i have refused to accept the vehicle. I have been offered a measly 3k discount bringing the price down to 100k which is approx 25k off original price plus tax benefits.

110k Inc tax is a huge outlay for a 13 month old vehicle.

What do you think of the Tesla offer?

On another note I could go for the p85D but not many inventory models about and more pricier or I could just back out and wait till 2016

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I would definitely go with a P85D for that price.
    100k for a p+ seems a bit high, considering a few extra grand will get you a P85D

3. marty2112

marty2112 Member

I doubt if any P85+ cars were built in 2015. With the transition to Ds in late 2014, any +s would be rare in 2015. I bought an inventory P85 w/ AP. My build was Nov. 2014.

I do love the way the + cars drive. But after driving the PDs, I'm not going to regret the suspension advantages on the older +s. I have an order in for a new P90D. Fit, finish and a new nose job will be in my near term future....:)

4. cciesingh

cciesingh Member

It is at least $10k- $16k more for a similar mileage early 2015 P85D, also there is scarce availability meaning it could be quite difficult to find the exact specs that i desire

My original target was to buy a P85, then I had to get one with Autopilot meaning it had to be minimum Sept 2014 the P85+ was a bonus.

How do you guys rate the P85+ compared to the P85D? I drove the P90D around for a few days (Ludicrous) and it was awesome!

5. Skateboardgolf

#5 Skateboardgolf, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Cciesingh, there’s a couple factors to consider:

-Your P85+ already has the brutal 1st year depreciation factored in, which makes it a better deal.
    - Unless you like the feeling of an elephant sitting on your chest from 0-30mph, you’ll be perfectly content with the acceleration of the P85+. I’ve driven both, and could not tell the difference above 30 mph.
    - Time is running out for this year's tax credit. On Dec 11th, there were 15 P85+, and 28 P85 models with Autopilot on Tesla's preowned site. Now, all AP P85+ models are gone, with only 11 AP P85s left. The P85Ds aren't getting much of a discount due to higher demand, therefore, there's more to choose from.

Tesla told me around 100 P85+ models were made in 2015. So I had to get one!
    She's an inventory model - VIN 69xxx, January 2015 build.
    Should be arriving next week! This is my second Tesla.

My 2014 P85+ was delivered less than a week before Autopilot was announced, so my joyous Christmas present ends a year of regret caused by reading the forums, filled with happy AP stories.

6. cciesingh

cciesingh Member

Many thanks for the words of Wisdom Skateboardgolf, if you dont mind me asking how much discount did you get for your 2015 P85+ and what was the mileage?

7. DougH

DougH Active Member

I would go for the P85D.

I ordered a 2014 P85+ a week ago and plan on selling it to buy a P85D mid next year when prices are lower. You are already in the 100K mark so I would just get a D.

8. cciesingh

cciesingh Member

Hi Douglas,

Wondering which will have the better resale value / less depreciation? 15k more for a D version is quite a bit more,, I may want to trade in for a Model X next year so trying to understand which would represent better value.

I like the fact that the P85+ has already taken the hit, just wish I could find a P85D with a bigger hit......I wanted a 2015 model but now is not a good time to find one

9. Zextraterrestrial

My option - get the oldest/cheapest P85+ you can find now (~$60K ?) and upgrade to a P85(90)D with AP when many are traded for X's next year

Trading in for an X next year will be $$> P90D

10. DougH

DougH Active Member

It really depends on how much you pay, wither it's a P85+ or a D. With the D you are going to over pay so you will lose the most. I paid $88 for my P85+ but it has AP so I will sell it for $5K less mid next year. D's will be in the high $80's low 90's for a loaded one next year. Some are for sale already in the high 90's.

11. cciesingh

cciesingh Member

I think they key is going for AP, this should hold a good resale value. The four wheel drive D version is nice for high end buyers who want evereything, a P85+ with AP is good value for $10 - $15k less than an 85D

Reg

12. green1

green1 Active Member

I bought an inventory P85+ with AP 2 months ago. My choice was that or an 85D (No way I could afford a P85D). The P85+ came pretty close to fully loaded, the 85D would have been much more stripped down, the P85+ was $20,000 cheaper than the 85D would have been, and the P85+ accelerates faster than the 85D. And with a RWD model I get the full frunk.

It was really a no-brainer.

As an added side bonus, the P85+ came in green, which was always my favourite colour, and one they don't make any more.

13. Skateboardgolf

Green1 - that was exactly my experience. 85D models were too expensive, too bare, and too poised for depreciation fall. 1-year old P85+ models were a MUCH better deal.
    Just received word my 2015 P85+ AP delivery is Tuesday at noon. Yeaay!!!

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm so envious! I considered trading in my '13 P85+ for an identical P85+ with AP, but the differential (between $10k and $15k) just for AP and folding mirrors just wasn't worth it. Also, since I "de-staggered" my rear wheels, I'm not sure what Tesla would have done with the trade-in since they would have had to like "re-stagger" the rears.

Oh well, I'll just go back to enjoying the crap out of my P85+ for a few more years until the Model Ss is released. :)

15. tstafford

tstafford Member

I think this is probably the thing to do. I wouldn't want to pay $100K for a P85 right now. I think you are signing up for some serious depreciation.

16. DougH

DougH Active Member

Whats the different between the car you are selling and the one that you bought?

17. Skateboardgolf

Hey Hank - I'm interested in your "de-staggering."
    Why did you do it? Was the killer
    P85+handling affected? Rear tire wear on my P85+ has been a concern of mine, and I wonder if having 4 identical rotatable tires would help (without averse handling affects). Thanks!

18. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

Please inform the ignorant, what does it mean to stagger the P85+ tires?

19. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Only for P85+ cars, and a very few early P85Ds, the rear wheels were 9" instead of 8.5" and had 265mm tires instead of the stock 245mm.

Many people seem to thing that the Tesla staggered set up are different diameter wheels and tires, but that's just not the case. The only difference in is wheel (1/2") and tire width (the difference between 265mm and 245mm is about 3/4"). Some other cars have staggered radius sized wheels, but not the Model S. (For instance, my Delorean have very different size front and rear wheels/tires).

Several reasons -- and several threads on it already. Mostly for more reasonably priced tires and much wider selection! The PS2s are killer on the wallet. (I think there are only two or three tires on the market that are sized for 245&265 fitments on the Model S). So I traded another TMC member my two 9" rims for his 8.5" rims and put on Hankook Ventus Evo 2s on all four corners. Handling was not affected at all, as far as I could tell. (my other car is a BMW M5, and both cars handle about the same.) Not really that much difference. Maybe at the far extremes, but not even for 'spirited' driving can I tell a difference). So now I can also rotate the tires each season or as necessary. I also carry a spare tire (no rim) in the frunk, so if I lose any tire, I have an exact replacement ready to be mounted.