Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory P90Dl or Custom P90 (Upgrade to S100D?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Tesla newbie looking for advice...

Currently have a deposit placed on a P90Dl (AP1). I test drove a P90 and whilst the power is OK, coming from a BMW M3, I miss the power between 50-80 for overtaking/ motorway driving hence ordering the P90Dl. It is however not my perfect spec, notably being on standard hifi and not my preferred trim/colour preferences.

Weighing up an alternative option of ordering a new P90 in my perfect spec with a view to (hopefully) upgrading to the S100D if the chance comes along (faster and more range). The increased wait time (3 months) is a big positive for me a sI am moving house in a month so it saves having to publicly charge in the interim. It would also actually be cheaper monthlies.

Any advice appreciated, mainly after peoples thoughts of:

1) The value of AP2 over AP1
2) Whether P90Dl is noticeably quicker in the 40-80 range
3) Any speculation on how likely S100D announcement is in the next 6 weeks.
4) If it did not get announced, could I delay my order...

I am based in the UK if this matters!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Hello,

Congrats on your purchase.
1) Looking Tesla's inventory pricing, AP2 cars are £10.000 more expensive than AP1 cars. Currently, AP2 have lots of potential. But if they can't come up with reasonable improvements, people's trust on AP2 hardware will go down and AP2 cars may be priced like AP1 cars because of lack of autopilot features. On long term, AP2 car is a logical choice.
2) Slightly quicker, but I don't think you'd notice it.
3) Highly Likely.
4) You cannot delay or change your current order. Inventory vehicle deposits are non-refundable. However, you may ask them and they may allow it as goodwill. Please see: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/order/download-order-agreement?country=GB&model_code=ms

By the way, as you're buying a P vehicle, it maybe useful for you to have a look to these threads, and ask your service center about your vehicle's condition on limits:
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/so-when-does-or-how-long-does-it-take-pxxxd-become-sxxxd
Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

Cheers.

Reactions: St Charles
Thank you both, appreciate the input.

As to point 4) they have offered to let me transfer the deposit to a new vehicle, so I was more inquiring as to whether you can delay a custom order as opposed to an inventory one.

Leaning towards new. It being brand new and not being test driven (and therefore likely low on the launch count) could be the final nudge...

Thanks again to you both,

Thank you both, appreciate the input.

As to point 4) they have offered to let me transfer the deposit to a new vehicle, so I was more inquiring as to whether you can delay a custom order as opposed to an inventory one.

Leaning towards new. It being brand new and not being test driven (and therefore likely low on the launch count) could be the final nudge...

Thanks again to you both,
Note that new vs inventory; at the moment new order is at least %10 expensive than an equivalent brand new inventory. Plus there will be road tax for vehicles registered after March.
Play with custom order page and check right bottom corner for "close match inventory" box to unveil hidden inventory cars. Or you may ask your sales advisor for hidden inventory cars.
Also, www.teslainventory.com is helpful.
I urge you to check inventory brand new 90Ds or 60s(if you don't really need range&performance), instead of P90D.

I would ask them to switch your deposit to a new order and delay the delivery until when you need the vehicle. If something new is announced on Jan. 16th, perhaps you upgrade your order. You can get confirmation in an email. I would also prefer a new vehicle with the latest hardware for Autopilot.

If I have further advice, I will send you a direct message.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you both. I've just read through the post about limiting and it is disconcerting- especially given, being an ex-demo, it is likely to have been launched every day of its life. I think I'll go for the new p90, either inventory if it matches my spec, or a custom build. I am really, really hoping to hold out for the 100d though!

Reactions: Ormond
It seems likely Tesla will introduce a non-performance 100D for S & X in the next 6 months.

Since they haven't introduced the 100D yet, that could mean Tesla has decided not to use the P100D battery pack in the 100D, and could instead be waiting to introduce the 100D until they can shift to the new 2170 batteries and possibly include SC V3 support for future ultra fast charging (something that may be included in Model 3).

Waiting for a 100D using the 2170 batteries could simplify the battery pack (fewer batteries), lower the weight, reduce the cost and slightly improve the performance along with supporting faster charging.

Though, if they introduce a 100D soon with the P100D battery pack, it will be tempting for us to pull the trigger on our P85 replacement.