Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it looks like the inventory vehicle discounts have increased until the end of this quarter. I am in California and haven't had a ton of luck finding a car that fits with a sizeable discount but have seen other people in other parts of the country have better luck. If you have happened to get offered a 60 or 85 with a sizeable discount that's still available and you aren't going to purchase it would it be possible to PM me the details/VIN? Tesla has pulled available cars for me on the west coast, but I can pay to have one shipped from elsewhere, so I am thinking I might be able to get a better deal that way based on what I have seen so far.

Thanks in advance.

Be careful with inventory cars with options that may have no value for you.

For example, in New York our roads are so horribly maintained that you could not pay me to drive on 21" low profile wheels. So if I find an inventory car with the 21" wheels and let's say it also has the rear seat executive package, which again I'd have no use for as I don't have a chauffer, it would be an absolute waste of $6,500. And if you didn't want the Premium Interior Package that goes for an additional $3,500 and the inventory car has that option, we are now up to $10,000 of options that might be of no value to you and it would take an inventory discount of $10,000 to just break even. At that point might as well order a brand new car built just the way you want that has not been potentially subject to wear and tear of thousands of people getting in and out of the car and hundreds of people driving it like they stole it.

Inventory cars are a great deal when you find one with the options you want but they can be a horrible deal if it is laden with additional options that have little or no value to you. So when you consider an inventory car be careful to consider the cost of a car with just the options that are of value to you with the cost of the inventory car after the discount.

For example, if you are perfectly happy with a car with the options you find useful and it costs $115K then what's the point in paying $120K for an inventory car that cost $130 due to options you don't want even if it comes with a $10K discount because at the end of the day, you've just paid $5K more for a car that has been aggressively driven by hundreds of people.

In my opinion, for an inventory car to make sense financially, it should cost less than the cost of the car you want with the options you find of value. Even in this case I'd only consider an inventory car that offers at least a $6,000 discount compared to if you bought it new. If the discount is only about $3K I don't see the point.

You're exactly right. The one local vehicle that was intriguing was $4,500 off (and less than 100 miles) but had $4k worth of stuff that is honestly useless to me and so that was a deal killer.

Another forum member was kind enough to send me a few he had been offered in the midwest that had bigger discounts and also fit what I was looking for with options. Unfortunately, two were in a color I didn't want, and the one in an acceptable color (nearly $10k discount) that was was sold already when I checked with Tesla or I would have pulled the trigger.

I can't really have Tesla do a nationwide search so I am hoping some other members may have been offered something recently that isn't a fit for them but is for me.

Be careful with inventory cars with options that may have no value for you.

For example, in New York our roads are so horribly maintained that you could not pay me to drive on 21" low profile wheels. So if I find an inventory car with the 21" wheels and let's say it also has the rear seat executive package, which again I'd have no use for as I don't have a chauffer, it would be an absolute waste of $6,500. And if you didn't want the Premium Interior Package that goes for an additional $3,500 and the inventory car has that option, we are now up to $10,000 of options that might be of no value to you and it would take an inventory discount of $10,000 to just break even. At that point might as well order a brand new car built just the way you want that has not been potentially subject to wear and tear of thousands of people getting in and out of the car and hundreds of people driving it like they stole it.

Inventory cars are a great deal when you find one with the options you want but they can be a horrible deal if it is laden with additional options that have little or no value to you. So when you consider an inventory car be careful to consider the cost of a car with just the options that are of value to you with the cost of the inventory car after the discount.

For example, if you are perfectly happy with a car with the options you find useful and it costs $115K then what's the point in paying $120K for an inventory car that cost $130 due to options you don't want even if it comes with a $10K discount because at the end of the day, you've just paid $5K more for a car that has been aggressively driven by hundreds of people.

In my opinion, for an inventory car to make sense financially, it should cost less than the cost of the car you want with the options you find of value. Even in this case I'd only consider an inventory car that offers at least a $6,000 discount compared to if you bought it new. If the discount is only about $3K I don't see the point.

I was going to build one. The price it came out to be was $118K, found one in inventory listed at $125K had $11k discount. Ended up with $114K payment. Had alot of option I didn't care for Grey paint, pano roof, 19 cyclone, obeche wood, and dual charger. To me I just looked at it like I'm getting $4k off MSRP and getting all these other stuff for free. The only option that isn't on this car was the 3rd row seating. Its $3200 for the SC to install. Still coming up ahead and able to get my car in weeks and not months

I am really trying hard to find an inventory car to buy before the end of the month but it's been kina hard. I have called several locations and initially people have been helpful but if they don't immediately find a car that matches my requests, the follow up is lacking with some locations. It's kinda challenging. I wish there was a way I could search their inventory on a daily basis myself but I can't so I have to rely on the sales people to call me back or email and continue to look for cars on my behalf and some of them seem to disappear after the initial conversation. If anyone has a lead on a pretty well loaded P85D inventory car with rear facing seats and a decent discount let me know which location I need to call.