Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory vs Custom Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

A few days ago, I put down a deposit on an inventory. Today, I noticed that custom order is only $4,000 more, which comes with air suspension and premium speaker. Did I get a bad deal?

upload_2017-9-4_19-26-16.png

I have both and love them. Depends on your budget I guess. Did you noticed de P100d in inventory wich is 30 000$ less than the custom order ?
Those are both personal decisions, but about worth the added cost/value. I personally like having both options, I'd probably pay $4k (US$3200) to have them. But it's not a bad deal if you don't get them.

Good luck!

If I custom order, I don't get low interest rate :(

First rule about new car buying: there will ALWAYS be a deal with better value after you pull the trigger. No sense in beating yourself up (unless the car you just bought got like 25% cheaper overnight....then I'd probably beat myself up a bit.)

Reactions: arcus
Also you could get free unlimited Supercharging and save $1400 if you use a referral code. If you have a friend who owns a Tesla and helped you out you can ask them for one or PM me and I can send you one.

Edit: By the way, I have standard suspension on mine and wouldn't change that. Even in snow it's fine and less parts to worry about when out of warranty. Sound can be upgraded after market for less than premium sound cost.

Last edited:
I had the premium sound in my original P85. It was decent, but not spectacular. I didn't bother with it on my 100D and I don't miss it.

Air suspension is a nice-to-have. It's handy for going over the occasional really high curb, but there are other ways to deal with that.

I had the premium sound in my original P85. It was decent, but not spectacular. I didn't bother with it on my 100D and I don't miss it.

Air suspension is a nice-to-have. It's handy for going over the occasional really high curb, but there are other ways to deal with that.

Compared to the premium sound, don't you find the navigation volume to be too low (even when it's maxed) when you have the player volume at 6 or above? I'm not sure if it's just my car or all Tesla's with standard sound have that issue.

Compared to the premium sound, don't you find the navigation volume to be too low (even when it's maxed) when you have the player volume at 6 or above? I'm not sure if it's just my car or all Tesla's with standard sound have that issue.

Never noticed. I usually have navigation muted. I often turn on navigation just to track power utilization in the Energy App, and to help predict arrival time. If I'm in an unfamiliar area with complex turns, then I turn on the sound. And if the music is too loud I turn it down.

Personal preference based on budget and possible resale value concerns.
I have neither in my S90D and don't miss them, having experienced them in others' MS and loaners. It was interesting to see the loaners raise and lower on highways and off ramps but I can't tell what actual effect it has on long range mileage other than an appreciation that lower should result in a more streamlined posture. I haven't needed it so far in 21,000 km driving. It might affect your ability to drive thru a car wash but I avoid the ones with tracks (perhaps others can weight in of air suspension goes high enough to make a difference in a car wash?). I was told by others that they were not impressed with the premium sound package so I didn't bother, and have adjusted Slacker radio from low to the highest bitrate to get 320 kbps music streaming. I can find you that link if you need it.