Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory vs Custom Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...have adjusted Slacker radio from low to the highest bitrate to get 320 kbps music streaming. I can find you that link if you need it.
I am pretty sure that this does not change the bitrate from 128 kbps. I tried this as well and monitored the data usage while connected to a wifi hotspot and given the amount of data downloaded it was clearly still using 128 kbps files. I am happy to have you prove otherwise. Others have monitored the data flow and seen that the file headers/metadata also shows 128kbps files. There were threads on this in the Model S UI forum.

I am pretty sure that this does not change the bitrate from 128 kbps. I tried this as well and monitored the data usage while connected to a wifi hotspot and given the amount of data downloaded it was clearly still using 128 kbps files. I am happy to have you prove otherwise. Others have monitored the data flow and seen that the file headers/metadata also shows 128kbps files. There were threads on this in the Model S UI forum.

Wayner, it looks like you are right. There was a step that most people missed previously, but the latest firmware doesn't allow access anymore. I just found this info (below) while looking for the original instructions:

elreydetodo, Feb 24, 2017
I want to add in here some important bits of info I've recently found out via Slacker support.

In the 8.0 firmware Tesla removed the high bitrate feed option from all cars with the base audio package. There is no way to make your base audio car play directly from Slacker a stream which will not make your ears bleed. I asked them to pull logs from when my car was playing, and the format the car requested was AACv2 40kbps! No wonder this sounds so bad to so many people!

The web player's setting is completely independent of the car. The car picks the format it wants and indicates it to the stream as a query parameter to the stream url. There is no cross-device quality setting. If you install the Android app you'll have to enable the high quality feed setting there too. There is absolutely no link between the web player and the car. That was never the case.

If you are unsure whether your car is playing back a decent stream or not, email [email protected] and ask them to check from log data. Give them the email address of your Slacker account and a time range when you were listening in your car. Be polite - they're nice people. If you are unhappy with the crippling of the Slacker stream in your base audio car, email [email protected] and give them an earful.

I'm now playing my station from my Android phone via Bluetooth. It sounds so much better than the built-in car functionality. No ear blood anywhere!

And just to add to my own confusion, my owners manual says: pg 110, Media and Audio

"Note: Tesla also provides you with a complimentary four-year Streaming Personal Radio account. To use your own Slacker Plus or Premium account instead, scroll to the bottom of the Streaming source, enter your credentials, touch Use High Bitrate to stream higher quality sound, and press LOGIN. (To switch back to your Tesla account, simply touch USE TESLA ACCOUNT; you don't need to enter a user name or password for your Tesla account.) You can purchase your own Slacker Plus or Premium account at www.slacker.com. Model S does not support basic (free) Slacker services. "