Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inverter failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My inverter failed 4 weeks ago. Got an 18xB7 hw error message. No solar at all. My inverter only shows 5 of 31 panels and re-paring the system has not resolved the issue. I was charging the car and it shut down. Contacted Tesla. Was told it takes 3-4 weeks to get an inverter. I’m not holding my breath as the last time they sent someone out to fix my gateway connection issues, it took them 4 months to send someone out. Anyone experienced this type of failure?

• Helpful
Reactions: tinhtu
My inverter failed 4 weeks ago. Got an 18xB7 hw error message. No solar at all. My inverter only shows 5 of 31 panels and re-paring the system has not resolved the issue. I was charging the car and it shut down. Contacted Tesla. Was told it takes 3-4 weeks to get an inverter. I’m not holding my breath as the last time they sent someone out to fix my gateway connection issues, it took them 4 months to send someone out. Anyone experienced this type of failure?
Is this a SolarEdge inverter? If so, yes, many people have reported failing SolarEdge inverters. It's unfortunate that Tesla takes so long to get them replaced. They are covered by SolarEdge warranty.

Can't imagine losing a key component of the system and live on grill for a month. That's a huge in terms of personal grid electricity cost while on the waiting game. Did Tesla do anything to compensate for that hit?
Totally agree! So far I haven't heard from Tesla regarding compensation although I did express my concerns to them about having to pay for electricity while I wait for them to fix the system. It is a big hit considering the cost of electricity in Honolulu. I am going to be paying around 5-600 dollars per month on electricity based on about 30 cents per kilowatt. Not to mention the reason why I got solar and poweralls in the first place is not to depend on the grid and use clean energy to charge my cars.

I had a SE 7600 failure last July and it was huge bummer to have it go out in the peak usage season. It is super hot/humid in Georgia during the summer, our rates are .14/kWh so not as bad as Hawaii. I purchased my system from a local Tesla authorized installer and they were able to get a SE replacement within 10 days and 2 days later replaced it, so I lost 12 days in July. I'm not sure if C19 is impairing inverter production across vendors but most electronics seem to be constrained

I had a SE 7600 failure last July and it was huge bummer to have it go out in the peak usage season. It is super hot/humid in Georgia during the summer, our rates are .14/kWh so not as bad as Hawaii. I purchased my system from a local Tesla authorized installer and they were able to get a SE replacement within 10 days and 2 days later replaced it, so I lost 12 days in July. I'm not sure if C19 is impairing inverter production across vendors but most electronics seem to be constrained
FYI, I've since upgraded to an 11.4 unit and added a few more panels

FYI, I've since upgraded to an 11.4 unit and added a few more panels

I'm thinking it might be faster to get the out to fix this if I buy a few more panels and add another powerwall. I could use a third powerwall. With 31 panels and 2 powerwalls, I was able to be on back up only (turned off the breaker from the grid to house) for over 10,000 hours. I find having 2 powerwalls a bit of a stretch.

I'm thinking it might be faster to get the out to fix this if I buy a few more panels and add another powerwall. I could use a third powerwall. With 31 panels and 2 powerwalls, I was able to be on back up only (turned off the breaker from the grid to house) for over 10,000 hours. I find having 2 powerwalls a bit of a stretch.

Wait,10,000 hours is more than a year. I’m not sure you need a third powerwall here.

Wait,10,000 hours is more than a year. I’m not sure you need a third powerwall here.

I think I made it work out with constant monitoring of the usage. I would only charge the cars only during 10am -1 pm in order make sure that the poweralls are close to 100% before sundown. But there are days when it is cloudy where I am not able to charge both cars and the poweralls. Luckily, I have a flat roof home to maximize the solar production.