Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inverter install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did this for fun hah. The space there was begging for it. Put a 400w inverter under the frunk lining and presto :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    396.7 KB · Views: 750
Very nice.

Before finding a 12V espresso maker, I had intentions of installing a Nespresso onboard, which would have required, believe it or not, a 4KW sine wave inverter in part because of the surge amperage. I'm glad I didn't have to do that as a) a 4KW inverter is not small, nor all that trivial to install, and b) my installation skills are not as clean as yours.

That, and it hadn't occurred to me to use the frunk, which would have been smart - my thinking was a surface mount under the rear seats. Doh.

The 12V is sooooo much simpler - and it's 16 bar versus the Nespresso's 19 bar. More than enough to make a decent double shot as long as I get the grind right.

I installed a 1000w inverter. I put one outlet on the console just like @Evee did, and I agree, the car looks like it should have one there, and everyone who sees it thinks it's stock. I then also put a second outlet in the frunk similar location to @artsci but on the passenger side instead of driver, though mine is just a single outlet poking through the frunk lining, there's no big backing plate. (and as such it's a bit higher up and further back)

Finding a place for the inverter itself was a bit of a challenge as the 1000w inverter was just a bit too big for any of the empty spaces in the front of the vehicle (on a fully loaded car with the large frunk there's not a lot of empty space up there!), but I eventually mounted it inside the passenger front fender, attached to the battery by 4AWG wiring and through a 100A fuse. I then connected the inverter's power switch to a relay, and powered it from the relay in the fuse box meant for the 12v outlet. This way the inverter is on whenever the car is. (I have however bypassed that relay for the 12v outlet, and that outlet is now live at all times instead of only when the car is "on")

Reactions: Evee
I installed a 1000w inverter. I put one outlet on the console just like @Evee did, and I agree, the car looks like it should have one there, and everyone who sees it thinks it's stock. I then also put a second outlet in the frunk similar location to @artsci but on the passenger side instead of driver, though mine is just a single outlet poking through the frunk lining, there's no big backing plate. (and as such it's a bit higher up and further back)

Finding a place for the inverter itself was a bit of a challenge as the 1000w inverter was just a bit too big for any of the empty spaces in the front of the vehicle (on a fully loaded car with the large frunk there's not a lot of empty space up there!), but I eventually mounted it inside the passenger front fender, attached to the battery by 4AWG wiring and through a 100A fuse. I then connected the inverter's power switch to a relay, and powered it from the relay in the fuse box meant for the 12v outlet. This way the inverter is on whenever the car is. (I have however bypassed that relay for the 12v outlet, and that outlet is now live at all times instead of only when the car is "on")

Not meaning to resurrect such a old thread but does this work well if one was to hardwire say a 1000 watt inverter to the 12v battery then run it to the passenger compartment? Would the car keep the 12v charged while supercharging? Is there any concerns I should have before attempting this?

Very nice.

Before finding a 12V espresso maker, I had intentions of installing a Nespresso onboard, which would have required, believe it or not, a 4KW sine wave inverter in part because of the surge amperage. I'm glad I didn't have to do that as a) a 4KW inverter is not small, nor all that trivial to install, and b) my installation skills are not as clean as yours.

That, and it hadn't occurred to me to use the frunk, which would have been smart - my thinking was a surface mount under the rear seats. Doh.

The 12V is sooooo much simpler - and it's 16 bar versus the Nespresso's 19 bar. More than enough to make a decent double shot as long as I get the grind right.
Pictures of your built-in espresso maker setup?

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal