Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inverter recommendations for M3? 12v DC to 120v AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all! I'd love to find an inverter that can plug in to the cigarette lighter plug and live in the center console (without overheating ideally)... Or, if heat is an issue, I could put it under the passenger seat if necessary. What's the largest inverter I can / should get? I see from these forums that it appears to be ~150W, since it's a 12A (16A max) plug; is that correct?

I'm planning to charge electronics with it, so I guess a sine wave inverter would be better, but I've read a few websites that say that for laptops with power bricks, it's likely not a big deal. Which is nice, since non-sine wave inverters are like a third of the cost...

I'd love to see what people have working for them! Thanks for your advice!

Totally separate question... If I wanted to run something high wattage (1200 ish) off my Tesla, do I need to tie in directly to the 12v battery? I'm assuming that can be done with the alligator clips that come with most inverters?

Is there a way to do that in the trunk, or would it require running ~4GA wire all the way to the trunk from the battery up front? Thx!

Cheers,

-joe

Just for fun, here's a pic of my car after it's first bath! (after 2949 miles)

Thank you! That didn't show up in my searches, but post #49 that says the following is some of what I was looking for! Still seeking advice from people who have done this... :)