Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inverter setting or powerall problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After my solar edge HD wave (one with the screen) failed after 1year and 4 months of usage, I finally got a replacement from Tesla after 2 1/2 months of waiting. This time the inverter is one without a LCD screen. After they replaced it, something unusual is happening. I normally run on self supply since I am not on net metering.

- my powerwalls shut off solar when reserve capacity is reached. Even when it is set for 25%. Once it charges to 25%, solar shuts down and house is supplied only with PW.
- PW seems to be limited to 3.3 kWh of charging no matter how much sun there is. My system can produce up to 10 kWH
- If I set the reserve to 100%, PW will charge to that amount and shuts down solar and house will only again draw from PW

In Back up only mode, the powerall will charge at max solar production and the house only draws from grid.

In power outage mode, only max 2.8 KWh is produced vs before it would produce whatever the panels produce at that time.

Right now I am charging my car and the PW will prioritize charging up to the reserve capacity and leave the difference for the solar and grid. It used to take from battery and solar with last resort using grid. If I lower reserve capacity to say 10%, the solar would shut down if the PW SOC is above that limit. Solar is shut down and the car would draw only from grid.

Tesla customer support had no answer and said tier 2 will call me. After waiting 2 months for service on my inverter, I will not hold my breath waiting.

Any suggestions and comments appreciated.

David

Did you watch them commission the inverter? It almost sounds like all your power optimizers weren't paired when they replaced the inverter. They use an app for the newer none LCD solaredge inverters called setapp which is made by solaredge. You can download it and scan the bar code on the side of the inverter, pair your phone and go in to the inverter to verify all your power optimizers are paired.

Hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Did you watch them commission the inverter? It almost sounds like all your power optimizers weren't paired when they replaced the inverter. They use an app for the newer none LCD solaredge inverters called setapp which is made by solaredge. You can download it and scan the bar code on the side of the inverter, pair your phone and go in to the inverter to verify all your power optimizers are paired.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I was at work so I wasn't able to watch them. I tried getting the setapp to see the settings but I don't have the credentials to log in. How do you obtain the credentials?

At the bottom of the app there's a a "View Only? Start here". That's get you in to see the status but you won't be able to change any of the settings. If you see that they're not all paired you can just register as an installer with your email. Anybody with an email address can register as an installer.

At the bottom of the app there's a a "View Only? Start here". That's get you in to see the status but you won't be able to change any of the settings.
Ok. Will try that. I tried to pair yesterday but phone couldn't locate the wifi for the inverter. I did flick the switch to pair for 2 seconds. I wonder if they disabled the wifi. Also if I tried to pair, would that shut the solar panels down?

So the only way is to get them back to reconfigure the system, is that right?

No they didn't disable the wifi. They're very finicky about connecting. What I've found works best is to position your phone on top of the knob and tilt it against the inverter. Right behind where the top of your phone is sitting is where the wifi card is located. I've had good luck connecting in this way. You really have to be patient with it. After you hold the switch for 2 second or less, don't worry about what the line is doing, just watch the top of you phone for the wifi symbol to start blinking. Even if the line is at the end just wait for it if you see the wifi connection blinking on top of you phone. If you see it blinking just hit the retry button without flicking the switch again. If you don't see it blinking when it says try again, hold the switch for 2 seconds or less. It could take 3 or 4 trys.

I think the wifi hardware kind of sucks.

No they didn't disable the wifi. They're very finicky about connecting. What I've found works best is to position your phone on top of the knob and tilt it against the inverter. Right behind where the top of your phone is sitting is where the wifi card is located. I've had good luck connecting in this way. You really have to be patient with it. After you hold the switch for 2 second or less, don't worry about what the line is doing, just watch the top of you phone for the wifi symbol to start blinking. Even if the line is at the end just wait for it if you see the wifi connection blinking on top of you phone. If you see it blinking just hit the retry button without flicking the switch again.

I think the wifi hardware kind of sucks.
Thank you for the tips. I got the phone to connect but not sure where to look for the power optimizers settings and what the proper reading should read.

I had the EXACT same inverter problem, going from a SE 7600H with LCD screen to the newer model that is set up with the app.

Do you have Zigbee on your inverter, so it is connected to the internet ? I had Solar Edge help with the commissioning since my electrician was not familiar with solar. They were WONDERFUL. They connected to the inverter, and uploaded ALL of the settings of my previous inverter, plus enabled the Solar Edge app so I could see the new inverter in place of the old one.

I didn't have the Powerwall problem you are having. Assuming that you haven't changed the Powerwall settings any, I'd ask Solar Edge if they can remote in to your unit and take a look. If they have the old units settings saved, perhaps they can copy them over for you.

Oh yeah I just looked myself. I thought you could see the number of paired optimizes in view only but you can't. You'd have to register as an installer to see the power optimizer status on the status screen.

Got it. So I need to wait for Tesla to respond. I wish I could have got them to give me the credentials to log on. Even the Solar Edge monitoring app is not available to us. I think the Tesla app is much too simple. With the old inverter before it broke, I was able to live off the grid for over a year. I have 31 panels and 2 powerwalls. I had over 10,000 hours of back up only. They had the inverter set up incorrectly where it would export power to HECO. I got tired of trying to figure out the setting so I just turn my breaker box off from the grid and the system thought I had power outage all that time.

I had the EXACT same inverter problem, going from a SE 7600H with LCD screen to the newer model that is set up with the app.

Do you have Zigbee on your inverter, so it is connected to the internet ? I had Solar Edge help with the commissioning since my electrician was not familiar with solar. They were WONDERFUL. They connected to the inverter, and uploaded ALL of the settings of my previous inverter, plus enabled the Solar Edge app so I could see the new inverter in place of the old one.

I didn't have the Powerwall problem you are having. Assuming that you haven't changed the Powerwall settings any, I'd ask Solar Edge if they can remote in to your unit and take a look. If they have the old units settings saved, perhaps they can copy them over for you.
I will try to contact them and see if they can help. Thank you for the advice!

They had the inverter set up incorrectly where it would export power to HECO. I got tired of trying to figure out the setting so I just turn my breaker box off from the grid and the system thought I had power outage all that time.

HECO doesn't want you to do what you're doing but that's good you had somebody change it. I'm still waiting for my PTO from HECO and the city and county inspection and mine is configured for rapid shutdown. I already what needs to change to operate as you do after the inspections are done and HECO gives me permission to operate.

How long have you been waiting for PTO? My install is scheduled for Wednesday in Makakilo. I’d imagine, as with all things HECO, they’ll take their sweet a$$ time. Also, are running “off grid” while waiting for HECO?

The company that installed mine said you can keep it powered up since we're not exporting off grid. I'm assuming you're CSS? If you're planning to export off grid which isn't allowed on new installations, then technically you can't fire up your system and have to wait the 6 to 8 weeks for HECO to give you PTO. If you're CSS, then the company that installs it should let it stay operational.