Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inverter to be used with Tesla Powerpack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...forgive me if this is a stupid question (I'm not an engineer). If you have a solar array with panel-level inverters that feed AC power directly into your home's circuit, if you were to install a PowerWall, would you have to convert the AC power back to DC, then to have the power coming out of the batteries converted back to AC?

I depends on when you want to use the AC generated by your panel level inverters. There is a similar discussion on another thread here.

Here in California we have pretty high rates and a recent PUC policy directive that most all users will be put on Time of Use rates by 2017. For those with solar Net Metering that could mean high rates paid for power generated. That will create opportunities for rate arbitrage. For example an efficient inverter battery system that can charge the batteries at super off peak rates and offset loads during the high rate times will allow one to maximize the amount that you get credited for your solar generation. That scheme will work the best if you have other loads, like charging a car, that you can also shift to the super off peak rate period. There are certain inefficiencies in going from batteries to inverter and then charging those batteries from AC but it all depends on the rate structure from your utility.

To answer @igotzzoom's question yes you would need a separate inverter to charge and make AC from the battery. That is not the most efficient system. The DC coupled Tesla/SolarEdge solution appears to be more efficient.

Last edited:
This is particularly interesting because JB Straubel specifically said in a presentation about energy storage that Tesla had developed their own expertise in AC power inverters, leveraged from their experience in motor inverters.

~500 kW peak out of something the size of a watermelon and comes as one of many parts of a $105,000 car. I think the cost is sufficiently bounded. I'm only surprised that each powerpack doesn't have an inverter build it.

Tesla doesnt have expertise in integration PV Panels and MPPT. The SolarEdge product was easily modified to add another DC input. I can understand why Tesla would partner with SolarEdge on a consumer level inverter but use in house expertise for commercial systems that had no solar input.