Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Invest in TSLA, and have no trouble sleeping at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early-mover advantage

The only times that my stock-picking has done noticeably than the general market rise has been when I knew something that the pro's did not (or at least were not comfortable with yet). Usually it was about the market for the products (bleeding edge, early adopter advantage). So, for example, I took positions in AMGN in 1980, MSFT in 1986, CREE in 2008, and so on.

But this early adopter advantage disappears as soon as the advisors to big funds get up to speed. Then market ups and downs are due to them. At the moment, they and most of the journalists are not up to speed on TSLA. I haven't felt this far ahead of the game in decades. We all knew the safety ratings were coming but the pro's did not; they weren't really following TSLA.

That's soon going to end. Wait too long and you may just as well buy the mutual funds that specialize in the area.

Also, DaveT, have u had a chance to glance over the Appl options pdf I sent you, and if so, what do u think?

Hi Ongba, actually I did read over the APPL investor pdf you sent. It was a pretty fascinating read. The most striking part of it was in 2008, nobody in the thread had a clue the Great Recession was lurking. It was like lambs to the slaughter... AAPL would go from $200 to the 80s... but just several months earlier they were talking about AAPL headed to the 300s. It was a good reminder for me. I'm actually very aware and conscious of the effects of a recession on stock prices, especially high-growth stock. So, I've always had that in mind when approaching my TSLA investments. But nevertheless a good reminder.

I think Snipus' greatest moves were simply two. One, he got in early (ie., 2004+) and leverage options to increase his gains tremendously early on so he had a large amount of cash/holdings. By 2006/2007 the pace of his gains probably dropped dramatically. Second, in October 2008 though he was probably hit with massive losses, he made the bold me to not only spot that AAPL had likely bottomed but to go "all in" (or relatively) with LEAPs at that point. That resurrected his holdings and allowed him to recoup his losses and more until he exited when AAPL was $300.

It seemed like more users were getting into bull call spread when the options premiums were getting high because of AAPL's high exposure, but this seemed like it was after the early years. Meaning, lots of the posts on bull call spreads seemed to be later on (ie., stock over $150, $200 or at $300). This makes sense as the days of cheap option premiums were over and people needed ways to leverage their money for faster gains than stock, and the bull call spreads removed some of the inherent risks in option calls with high premiums.

Applying all of this to Tesla, probably the greatest risk to investors (especially in options) is a severe recession that keeps TSLA low. That would be pretty harsh for those who have a significant holding in option calls.

Also, I got the feeling that after $300 or so, a lot of the fun (ie., quick gains) had been taken out of AAPL investing. I wonder if that's how it will be after a certain point (not sure when) with TSLA. At that point, I might be heavily engaged in actively searching/investing in the next breakout company (10x+ returns). Actually, I've already started my search for that next breakout company, acknowledging that it can take a lot of time/effort/research.

- - - Updated - - -

The only times that my stock-picking has done noticeably than the general market rise has been when I knew something that the pro's did not (or at least were not comfortable with yet). Usually it was about the market for the products (bleeding edge, early adopter advantage). So, for example, I took positions in AMGN in 1980, MSFT in 1986, CREE in 2008, and so on.

But this early adopter advantage disappears as soon as the advisors to big funds get up to speed. Then market ups and downs are due to them. At the moment, they and most of the journalists are not up to speed on TSLA. I haven't felt this far ahead of the game in decades. We all knew the safety ratings were coming but the pro's did not; they weren't really following TSLA.

That's soon going to end. Wait too long and you may just as well buy the mutual funds that specialize in the area.

1986 MSFT. Wow! What kind of returns did you get on that? And did you invest a meaningful amount?

Was MSFT you're highest return investment? Or was it another company (ie., AMGN)?

Also, I got the feeling that after $300 or so, a lot of the fun (ie., quick gains) had been taken out of AAPL investing. I wonder if that's how it will be after a certain point (not sure when) with TSLA. At that point, I might be heavily engaged in actively searching/investing in the next breakout company (10x+ returns). Actually, I've already started my search for that next breakout company, acknowledging that it can take a lot of time/effort/research.

Hi Dave,
The question you need to ask is, how strongly do you believe Tesla can double? And what alternative do you have in the works.

For me, the run up to the Gen3 vehicle will be just too much fun to miss. Lots of news putting upward pressure on the stock. I doubt I'll be re-assessing my position in the next few years.

Of course, if you figure out some alternative be sure to share it. While I don't really listen to the opinion of others, I find that saying things out loud helps me stay intellectually honest.

It seemed like more users were getting into bull call spread when the options premiums were getting high because of AAPL's high exposure, but this seemed like it was after the early years. Meaning, lots of the posts on bull call spreads seemed to be later on (ie., stock over $150, $200 or at $300). This makes sense as the days of cheap option premiums were over and people needed ways to leverage their money for faster gains than stock, and the bull call spreads removed some of the inherent risks in option calls with high premiums.

Seems like TSLA is now entering this phase.

Hi Dave,
The question you need to ask is, how strongly do you believe Tesla can double? And what alternative do you have in the works.

For me, the run up to the Gen3 vehicle will be just too much fun to miss. Lots of news putting upward pressure on the stock. I doubt I'll be re-assessing my position in the next few years.

Of course, if you figure out some alternative be sure to share it. While I don't really listen to the opinion of others, I find that saying things out loud helps me stay intellectually honest.

Hi Haid, yeah I'm a big believer in GenIII as well and I have little doubt TSLA will double by GenIII and double again within several years after that as it scales production. So I'll likely keep most of my TSLA position for many years to come.

But also over time I'll probably take off 5-10% at a time to invest in opportunities that I'm very confident that will grow faster than TSLA (though this won't be easy to find). So, if currently TSLA is 90% of my liquid assets, then in several years I can foresee it to be about 50-70% of my liquid assets with the money I took out being re-invested in two to three other megagrowth companies (if I can find them).

Hi Haid, yeah I'm a big believer in GenIII as well and I have little doubt TSLA will double by GenIII and double again within several years after that as it scales production. So I'll likely keep most of my TSLA position for many years to come.

But also over time I'll probably take off 5-10% at a time to invest in opportunities that I'm very confident that will grow faster than TSLA (though this won't be easy to find). So, if currently TSLA is 90% of my liquid assets, then in several years I can foresee it to be about 50-70% of my liquid assets with the money I took out being re-invested in two to three other megagrowth companies (if I can find them).

Please tell us if you find them. I will help you boost the stock price by buying aswell ;)

G3, or Model E (recent trademark filing hints that this will be the name), is where the game really gets going.

I think that investors who believe in Elon Musk's long-term plans will likely be very pleased with TSLA gains. Buying for the long haul is also something that should allow investors to not sweat the small ups and downs that inevitably occur.

It could well be that TSLA is a 100x opportunity by itself. If one invests before $20, around IPO price, it is not unimaginable TSLA hits $2,000 per Sal Demir:

Analysis of Sal Demir's Tesla Analysis 2.0

I think that it is within the realm of possibility that Tesla could have a 200-300B market cap, if they keep executing and delivering superior products. This would put them in 100x+ territory for investors who got in early and were able to hang on.

With NUMMI in California, and additional factories, one in Asia, and one in Europe, the company could easily build 600-700k vehicles per year.

Dave, regarding your thoughts on focused investing vs. diversification, I came across Shai Agassi Tesla's recent article on Tesla. Then it leads to another piece:

My Best Mistake: Betting On Apple and OthersAnd Nearly Going Under | LinkedIn

You can clearly draw the analogy between the lessons he learned from startup and our investment. Instead of giving one a false sense of security by diversifying custom base to 5 different industries, which end up get cancelled one by one, he succeed focused on the right killer product and takes the risk. Certainly food for thoughts.

I feel more and more comfortable with my focused investement on Tesla. My diversification is on hedging. If there is unforeseeable event that Tesla crashes down to $50, I would be fine. That would be mostly caused by a catastrophic broad market event, which will sink a very diversified portfolio since all good and safe stocks will crash down with the market. So a hedged-focused investment is more 'diversified' (market proof) than a diversified-and-subject-to-market-mercy account.

I've been into focused investing with my retirement account for over 10 years. But until recently, people said I was crazy.

Some sort of public perception has changed recently with Tesla. Within the last month, I know of five people who have invested 100+K of their retirement into Tesla. And, like me, they can't afford a Model S via their non-retirement funds.

Clearly an anecdote of a few people doesn't mean anything to the market. However, I wonder if there are more out there adding to the ranks of buy-and-hold bulls. The PR in the last week or two has been amazing. ... and you can bet that they all will be in line for a Model E.