Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investor Call MCU1->2 upgrade question on "Say"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SAY investor call questions are up for the 1/29 call. Please upvote my question regarding MCU 1-> 2 and maybe we'll get some answers:

Say

I know this is a point of passion for a lot of us with AP2 FSD reservations, dying eMMCs, perpeually dysfunctional web browsers, or frustrations with how each software update makes our MCU look more like a Commodore 64

I'd settle for a reasonable trade-in for my MCU1 vehicle on a new vehicle. They could then remove FSD from it for the resell and dodge the question and still keep a longer-term customer happier.

A good trade-in program could just about eliminate this question.

What's reasonable?

It might help to eliminate this question for people like you who are interested in getting a new vehicle, but for many of us, that is not a priority or feasibility. The core issue at hand is that Tesla has not delivered on a few sale points for our vehicles that we alreadyd bought, and based on what comes to mind, MCU2 retrofit solves all of these issues.

Reactions: Tdreamer
As an investor, I fail to see how this will help sell new vehicles and do see how it will divert resources.
As an MCU1 owner, I want MCU2.

As an MCU1 owner; who has had two of them fail... it's a very bitter pill having to pay $2500 for a used/refurbished replacement on something they destroyed. For that amount of money, an upgrade to MCU2 is much easier to swallow.

As an investor; I fear the increased attention they're receiving for 'Creating the World's Worst Service' might have future ramifications.

Last edited:
Reactions: aesculus
Tesla doesn't advertise, so I see them addressing this as a way to placate and assuage us early buyers to further trust the brand for our future purchases AS THEIR ADVERTISERS. At this point, I have zero confidence that the M3, MY, or CT won't also have some glaring design oversights coming down the pipe as they age, for which will just leave owners hanging as they have with MCU1 owners.

Last edited:
I have zero confidence that the M3, MY, or CT won't also have some glaring design oversights coming down the pipe as they age...

M3 owners have the numbers on their side. It would be a yuge disaster if something like the MCU1/eMMC failures started to happen and Tesla began treating them like their MS early adopters.

However, the much smaller base of S/X owners are going to have a tough road. Elon has moved on to the more nimble, younger model Grimes... errr, I mean 3.

200107115637-elon-musk-dancing-shanghai-exlarge-169.jpg

Reactions: Shaz and glide
What's reasonable?

It might help to eliminate this question for people like you who are interested in getting a new vehicle, but for many of us, that is not a priority or feasibility. The core issue at hand is that Tesla has not delivered on a few sale points for our vehicles that we alreadyd bought, and based on what comes to mind, MCU2 retrofit solves all of these issues.
It doesn't have to appeal to everyone to have some impact, and I was referring mainly to the FSD retrofit issue, not just a swap to the new display for other reasons (eMMC issues and interface quality).

But "just about eliminate" was more for those of us wondering if an MCU2 upgrade would be required to get the FSD we paid for, and wondering how long we'll have to sit through a waiting game where those with a lot less skin in the game are getting the features preferentially over those of us who paid a lot more than they did and quite a bit longer ago. An easy upgrade path via trade-in would reduce their liability for those obligations by quite a lot.