Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investor Discussion Threads for 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was actually thinking about this last week. What if we had a short-term, a long-term and something like a "news bulletin" thread. The news bulletin thread could simply be a place to mention any new data point being discussed on any of the threads that might impact the stock short or long term. Effectively we'd have an uncluttered go to place to see if there's a reason the stock is up or down $X dollars today, and to see if anything happened of significance the past Y days you did not have time to go through the other threads.

That is, on this new thread keep the content of posts simply to

1) state the new piece of information, i.e. Elon tweeted xyz, Morgan Stanley changed price target, Model X spy shots found,...

and

2)provide a link to the thread having a discussion about it... rather than clutter the news bulletin thread with discussion.

I've just found it hard to read through the 3 main threads, any of which new information can pop up on the way things are currently.

For this to work, of course, people would have to remember to add a short post to this new thread as discussion went on in one of the other threads.

I really like this idea. The 'news bulletin' thread would ideally not contain any discussion, simply a collection of links to news stories/data points, with a quick indicator if its more relevant to short-term price movement or long-term fundamentals. People from other threads can then link to the posts in the bulletin thread and discuss what is posted there. That way there is always a source, we have an uncontaminated thread to comb through all TSLA related news, and the discussion threads will be slightly de-cluttered and better organised.

The threads are great the way they are now, thanks to both great contributions:cool: and moderation :cool:.

I do not mind if there is a bit of digressing on threads, I find it more interesting to have tids and bits of related information sparkled through the main topic. It is easy to skip over posts if one wishes to do so. It seems that the majority of posters wish to have more rigid structure, so be it.

My preference for that structure:

1. SP movements discussion (both long-term and short-term)
2. Data points, quarterly reports, TA, charts etc
3. News summary with links
4. Options (both advanced and newbies merged)

Agree with FR that macroeconomic thread is useful.

I would also like to see portfolio management thread if there is enough interest to discuss related topics, such as portfolio construction, asset classes selection, risk management, diversification, tax strategies and similar.

Regarding "other cool stocks to invest in" I would prefer separate thread title for each new suggested stock, as the simultaneous discussions on numerous stocks seems to be too messy and not as effective as more focused discussion on a single business could be, if there was an opportunity for such discussion to take place.

Currents--emerging topics
FUDscream--takedown of daily misinformation
Chartopia--technical analysis, statistical trends, and graphics
TheFundamentals--core business strategy, peformance metrics and valuation
MyTradingStrategy--strategies, options and plays

I personally only read the long-term thread of the stickies (well, with anything resembling regularity), plus the individual threads. Moving long-term discussions into individual non-stickied threads is sensible to me and would work. The one sure thing that will most chase me out due to the volume and low signal level, would be mushing the short-term and long-term conversations into a single fast-paging thread.

Of course, what makes this work well is for people to start new threads for topics with long-term relevance, rather than dumping them into a mega-thread.

I guess another way to look at it - at least for me - the real value in the mega threads has been that they do a good job of keeping the very high volume day and hour level chatter into a well known location, and lets me avoid it if I choose.

I would enjoy a "News Items" thread without discussion (as many items will generate separate threads for discussion), and am flexible on the other. Personally, I have been traveling and not reading the ST thread for about a week, and feel better for it. :crying:

I stumbled across very interesting thread on Lending Club, in Off Topic TMC section. I found the thread topic and discussion quite informative and investment related. Off Topic section is perhaps the most entertaining part of the forum, however people that frequent Off Topic and Tesla Investor Discussion sections likely differ.

I am hoping that in 2015 we may be able to include investment topics not related to TSLA in Tesla Investors Discussions section, rather than placing such topics in Off Topic forum section. Investment related topics are better matched to the intended audience in this section, they may get more views and replies here, and may help to inform and educate investors on various investment related issues.:cool:

Tesla Investors seem to be a bunch of savvy investors with a lot to offer in a way of sharing their views and experiences in a similar manner as austinEV has done in detailing his experience and thought process in LC thread.

One option would be to have sub forum within Tesla Investors Discussions. Sub forum may capture all non-Tesla investment discussions, such as Solar City, Alternative Energy Investors Discussions, Lending Club, etc.

Second option is to at least be allowed to post new threads discussing non-TSLA investments in Tesla Investors Discussions section.

Moderator check

What do people think? Do research notes from Mr Lovallo have much of an impact on price movements or would his work be better discussed within the Fact or Fiction, aka FUD, thread?

@doggusfluffy, I moved your post into the Apple thread. Apple: Rumors of EV to Challenge Tesla or Buying Tesla - Page 29

Edit. Given the low estimation here of Mr Lovallo's work, more engaging as an object of mockery than as source of actionable investing information, I have moved the discussion to Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction? - Page 10.

Last edited:
What do people think? Do research notes from Mr Lovallo have much of an impact on price movements or would his work be better discussed within the Fact or Fiction, aka FUD, thread?

@doggusfluffy, I moved your post into the Apple thread. Apple: Rumors of EV to Challenge Tesla or Buying Tesla - Page 29

Edit. Given the low estimation here of Mr Lovallo's work, more engaging as an object of mockery than as source of actionable investing information, I have moved the discussion to Articles re Tesla—Fact or Fiction? - Page 10.

I'm no expert but my feeling has been these news stories do seem to move the stock in the short term. Sadly when the reporting is so poor and distorting the underlying facts it seems they're motivated only about the short term action and not the subsequent post mortem debunking. I only posted the Bloomberg link not because of the Apple rumor aspect...but how exaggerated his disregard was for Tesla.

I'm no expert but my feeling has been these news stories do seem to move the stock in the short term. Sadly when the reporting is so poor and distorting the underlying facts it seems they're motivated only about the short term action and not the subsequent post mortem debunking. I only posted the Bloomberg link not because of the Apple rumor aspect...but how exaggerated his disregard was for Tesla.

I see. Then it belongs in the Fact or Fiction thread where we deal with intentional distortion. I'll move it there. Thanks.

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

I see. Then it belongs in the Fact or Fiction thread where we deal with intentional distortion. I'll move it there. Thanks.

If we're just going to move literally everything out of this thread, why not delete the thread entirely?

This is crazy. What belongs here? Nothing? We've just had four different people ask that you please allow some sort of content in this thread. Please stop moving everything.

Last edited:
Exactly. It seems this thread is only for "the stock went up two dollars today". We have charts for that. Please could we stop moving everything out of this thread.

Not to beat a dead horse here but it is sad to see this thread dismantled. This was always my one stop shop for all things Tesla. What I really liked about this thread is that news is very often broken hear first. I also enjoyed the occasional posting of the chartists and seeing how that played into the price movement. I haven't even looked at the chart thread since it was created or the recently created FUD thread. It is becoming way to many things to follow. I don't quite understand the need to split everything up because at the end of the day everything still relates back to TSLA.

Last edited:
^^As pointed out in that thread, Tesla time for "soon" can be e.g. two years. To my understanding, that is the time chademo adapter has been "coming soon" (I know, it is now shipping to those, who are in the waiting list)

Not to beat a dead horse here but it is sad to see this thread dismantled. This was always my one stop shop for all things Tesla. What I really liked about this thread is that news is very often broken hear first. I also enjoyed the occasional posting of the chartists and seeing how that played into the price movement. I haven't even looked at the chart thread since it was created or the recently created FUD thread. It is becoming way to many things to follow. I don't quite understand the need to split everything up because at the end of the day everything still relates back to TSLA.

I know it is done with the best intentions, but please dont move posts. Keep this as the one-stop shop. (I really liked this image) Copy posts perhaps? But dont move.. I miss the old short term tesla thread, with charts and everything.

if it aint broken...