Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Invitation to Tesla Hong Kong Special Event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just scheduled to attend it next week for the LHD Model 3. The M3 will leave HK at the end of next week according to the representative.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 5.22.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 5.22.32 PM.png
    115 KB · Views: 80
  • Informative
Reactions: IdaX and markwj
I heard that all the slots they had were fully booked. Charged.hk managed to get two groups in, and it was good to see the car amongst a group of friends (old and new).

Feedback was varied. Some felt the car not as 'good' as S, and would consider it a downgrade. Early S owners (pre-autopilot) generally considered it an upgrade. Features like lack of power tailgate were missed.

I personally felt the 3 better suited for Hong Kong than the S. It is smaller (not by much, but enough to make a difference) to better fit our narrow roads and car parks.

Overall, very grateful to Tesla for facilitating this. I realise that getting these cars here is not easy, and there is the risk that showing the 3 could cannibalise what few sales of S there are. The community appreciates it.

Feedback was varied. Some felt the car not as 'good' as S, and would consider it a downgrade. Early S owners (pre-autopilot) generally considered it an upgrade. Features like lack of power tailgate were missed.

But at ~60% of the price it wasn't meant to compete with the S though (at least not intentionally). Interesting thought about it being an upgrade for early S owners (i never thought of it that way). Personally I could forgive the lack of a power trunk if it was spring actuated (but it isn't and it would feel cheap).

I personally felt the 3 better suited for Hong Kong than the S. It is smaller (not by much, but enough to make a difference) to better fit our narrow roads and car parks.

Overall, very grateful to Tesla for facilitating this. I realise that getting these cars here is not easy, and there is the risk that showing the 3 could cannibalise what few sales of S there are. The community appreciates it.

I saw quite a few in Toronto last month and i'd agree about the smaller size (and lower price) being more suited to Hong Kong.

However, FRT make the the S and X too cost prohibitive for most (and too similar to an ICE optionat least upfront), so the sales volume for the HK market will never be as they were back in the day.
I actually hope for more canniblization (ie: very high adpotion of the 3 similar to the S pre FRT).
Hopefully them showing it in Hong Kong means they've fast tracked the timeline to bring it here and provide an extremely ICE-competitve small sedan at around 400k and dominate the market again.

Hopefully them showing it in Hong Kong means they've fast tracked the timeline to bring it here and provide an extremely ICE-competitve small sedan at around 400k and dominate the market again.

Current schedule is for summer 2019 (which means second half of 2019). That'll give them about a year++ before the current (limited) tax incentives expire on 31st March 2021. Let's hope they do well, but not too well to force a government reaction.