Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Invitations opened up! I got mine this morning (reserved January 16th 2018)!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might want to check today. I figured I was about 400,000th in line, and they've only manufactured ~38,000 cars so far.

Capture+_2018-06-28-07-34-47.png

Yes, I received an invite and ordered last night and my reservation was much later than yours. Can't help but wonder what's driving this but perhaps a combination of many factors such as higher production now and Q2 ending and rebates ending. Not counting on it but ordered in case the provincial rebate can be applied. If not, I'll ask for a refund (unlikely) or delay it, hoping for a federal incentive.

Man I really want to order but this 3-5 months is bothering me. I want to be sure I’ll get delivery by end of year to take advantage of the full tax credit..... I don’t like Elon time.

Man I really want to order but this 3-5 months is bothering me. I want to be sure I’ll get delivery by end of year to take advantage of the full tax credit..... I don’t like Elon time.

If you want the full tax credit watch the configs others are getting in July and August

Given the prices below and no paint, wheels or autopilot options:

• LR battery pack $9,000
  • AWD $4,000
  • Premium Upgrades Package (PUP) $5000
There are 9 major hardware configs

1. $64,000 Performance
  2. $53,000 AWD "all in" AWD + PUP + LR
  3. $49,000 "First available" - PUP + LR - NO AWD
  4. $48,000 AWD LR - NO PUP
  5. $44,000 AWD PUP - NO LR
  6. $44,000 LR, no PUP, no AWD
  7. $40,000 PUP, no AWD, no LR
  8. $39,000 AWD - NO PUP - NO LR
  9. $35,000 BASE BASE BASE Model 3 with no major options.
If whatever the cheapest config on that list is that is being delivered at the end of August you'll have to order that high on the list before Halloween or the next lower one on the list by the middle of September. If you've configured before September and the deliveries don't look to be working down to the lower config you picked you'll have to up your config.

But it's only a $3750 difference between H2 2018 and H1 2019 so it's only worth punching up the list if the price delta to that next option is less than that if you are trying to save money.

Of course if you would rather do it in 2018 no matter the cost and want the tax credit to partially pay for that preference go for it. Just pick high enough on the config list and you'll get it sooner.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Troy and Kuhz
Sorry. To clarify, if you want to get a earlier delivery time, you go from top to bottom in terms of the config? (i.e., if you want delivery soonest, pick $64000 performance option?)

yes, the higher the base cost the sooner it will come out (with the exception of the Standard Range battery configs that will come last)

1. $64,000 Performance
  2. $53,000 AWD "all in" AWD + PUP + LR
  3. $49,000 "First available" - PUP + LR - NO AWD
  4. $48,000 AWD LR - NO PUP
  5. see below
  6. $44,000 LR, no PUP, no AWD
Everything above here is LR battery pack and will come before
  • $44,000 AWD PUP - NO LR (was #5 in the list two posts up)
  • $40,000 PUP, no AWD, no LR
  • $39,000 AWD - NO PUP - NO LR
  • $35,000 BASE BASE BASE Model 3 with no major options.

I haven't seen anyone say they can configure without PUP yet, and until they do config #4 and #6 aren't available but I'd expect those to be shipping this fall.

There is the possibility that config #5 or #6 could be swapped as both are the same price but have a different margin for Tesla. Or they might both become available at the same time and you might not notice what their preference is between those two.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
No, not an owner.

Perhaps it's so Elon can announce "we've achieved 5,000 / week production, and ~200,000 committed, paid, configured reservations will receive their Model 3 within the next 5 months" = smackdown.
When did you reserve? I have a non-owner friend interested but he wont buy unless he can take delivery by end of year (aka full tax credit)

Any thoughts here when the base version with zero options will be available?

Do previous owners get any exclusivity to that process does anyone know?

The standard battery shows 6-9 months from now. Then there is probably a build time of 2 months and they will prioritize PUP/AWD. If you want standard with no options, you might get it next summer. If they really do get to 8-10k / week, they will consume the current backlog by the end of next summer.

• Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001
The standard battery shows 6-9 months from now. Then there is probably a build time of 2 months and they will prioritize PUP/AWD. If you want standard with no options, you might get it next summer. If they really do get to 8-10k / week, they will consume the current backlog by the end of next summer.

Thanks.

That makes a lot of sense regarding timelines, I do fear that the base Model 3 will be the last one to become available to reservation holders being probably the least that Tesla want to make profits on, but being maybe ultimately their most popular choice for those on budgets.

Still a base model with AP would probably be my choice in the end, or by then used Model 3 with longer range batteries are on the market :)

Thanks.

That makes a lot of sense regarding timelines, I do fear that the base Model 3 will be the last one to become available to reservation holders being probably the least that Tesla want to make profits on, but being maybe ultimately their most popular choice for those on budgets.

Still a base model with AP would probably be my choice in the end, or by then used Model 3 with longer range batteries are on the market

Keep in mind, prices and options are very likely to change from now to next summer. We've already had the performance introduction, which started at a much higher price than it is today.

The AWD price has also been adjusted to 4k from 5k.

If Tesla gets all the way to next summer and realizes they cannot sell the M3 base for 35k, they might just make something else 'mandatory'. Maybe autopilot or AWD would be included for 38k. In a sense, they have stuck with the 35k starting point, but now they are offing a slightly better car for less than it would have been to add the options originally. It would still be competitive, and would keep their margins up.

But this is all speculation :)