TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Invite to test drive M3 Performance

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mrtian97, Aug 13, 2018.

1. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

anyone else receive this invite?

It’s in Hawthorne, Ca for 30 minutes test drive

Thanks

2. boriszima

boriszima Member

Not me and i am in Los Angeles. Let us know how you like it and if its worth extra $10k +

3. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Didn't go ... wasn't looking to spend $15k to go 1 sec faster :rolleyes:

4. iamblinkin

iamblinkin Member

I test drove a P3D. I am not a car enthusiast (meaning I have not driven a bunch of cars nor do I know much about cars...the fastest thing I've driven would be a P100D test drive, never drove a BMW/Mercedes/Audi/etc.) but I love to drive and in my 1 year with my Golf R I have put almost 30k miles on it with only a 30 mile RT commute, so a lot of extra driving for fun. Model 3 will be only new/used car purchase until VW comes out with their EV van (can't. wait.). I have driven a LR RWD and P3D now. P3D is just a nutty car IMO and I love it. Is it necessary? No, absolutely not. In fact that's what I thought the whole test drive. Do I NEED my car to feel like it's trying to jump out of it's skin whenever I push the pedal down? Nope. But is that a blast? Yep. Is it work $10k? IMO, no, not if you're a normal driver or if another $10k is difficult to budget. Is it worth $10k PLUS free supercharging? IMO, yes. Again, I drive a lot. I drive for fun, up mountains and as twisty of roads as I can find. I plan on lots of road trips.

The Model 3 is a wonderful car. RWD was an absolute blast, and if I had better impulse control or wasn't as fortunate to be able to afford a P3D without too much trouble I would be more than happy with a RWD (well, AWD actually due to semi-frequent trips to snow). However, if it didn't come with free supercharging I don't think I could've rationalized the up-charge just for the performance increase. From what it sounds like the AWD is a nice performance in-between if that's what you're looking for.

• Like x 1
  5. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I test drove the P3D at Tesla's HQ to compare it to my RWD. It was a such a blast. If I did the test drive before making my order I would have been very tempted to get the P3D. If you drive a lot and have any interests in going to the track the extra $20k is worth it.

6. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Member

7. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Their campus is in Palo Alto. There's a really nice path there for the test drive.

8. boriszima

boriszima Member

I really appreciate the response and I totally agree with you, hence i "just" got AWD. With the test drives, one wonders if Tesla has a test track or just going on the roads... test track would be incredible to play around with the car

9. patoirish

patoirish Member

I walked into the San Diego store and was offered a test drive in the P3D. Was there for a wedding so I thought I thought it would be a great way to compare it to the RWD (which I had previously rented on Turo).

It was significantly faster, but not enough to even tempt me to spend the extra money. Of course, the $55k that I am already spending is somewhat of a stretch as I'm a pretty conservative spender.

Anyways if you're in the SD area they have all kinds of room to fit you in for a P3D test drive.

10. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

It’s 10K more above AWD. Not sure where 15K or 20K came from.

The difference between rwd and p is like this:

RWD you can see discrete numbers when accelerating. 0,17,25,37,44,50,56,60

P is 0,blur,blur,60.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

I had a rear drive, wonderful car... but irrationality? won out and now I have the 'stealth' performance version - worth it is so totally subjective but the thing is a blast...