Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Invite to test drive M3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not me and i am in Los Angeles. Let us know how you like it and if its worth extra $10k +

I test drove a P3D. I am not a car enthusiast (meaning I have not driven a bunch of cars nor do I know much about cars...the fastest thing I've driven would be a P100D test drive, never drove a BMW/Mercedes/Audi/etc.) but I love to drive and in my 1 year with my Golf R I have put almost 30k miles on it with only a 30 mile RT commute, so a lot of extra driving for fun. Model 3 will be only new/used car purchase until VW comes out with their EV van (can't. wait.). I have driven a LR RWD and P3D now. P3D is just a nutty car IMO and I love it. Is it necessary? No, absolutely not. In fact that's what I thought the whole test drive. Do I NEED my car to feel like it's trying to jump out of it's skin whenever I push the pedal down? Nope. But is that a blast? Yep. Is it work $10k? IMO, no, not if you're a normal driver or if another $10k is difficult to budget. Is it worth $10k PLUS free supercharging? IMO, yes. Again, I drive a lot. I drive for fun, up mountains and as twisty of roads as I can find. I plan on lots of road trips.

The Model 3 is a wonderful car. RWD was an absolute blast, and if I had better impulse control or wasn't as fortunate to be able to afford a P3D without too much trouble I would be more than happy with a RWD (well, AWD actually due to semi-frequent trips to snow). However, if it didn't come with free supercharging I don't think I could've rationalized the up-charge just for the performance increase. From what it sounds like the AWD is a nice performance in-between if that's what you're looking for.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
I test drove the P3D at Tesla's HQ to compare it to my RWD. It was a such a blast. If I did the test drive before making my order I would have been very tempted to get the P3D. If you drive a lot and have any interests in going to the track the extra $20k is worth it.

I test drove a P3D. I am not a car enthusiast (meaning I have not driven a bunch of cars nor do I know much about cars...the fastest thing I've driven would be a P100D test drive, never drove a BMW/Mercedes/Audi/etc.) but I love to drive and in my 1 year with my Golf R I have put almost 30k miles on it with only a 30 mile RT commute, so a lot of extra driving for fun. Model 3 will be only new/used car purchase until VW comes out with their EV van (can't. wait.). I have driven a LR RWD and P3D now. P3D is just a nutty car IMO and I love it. Is it necessary? No, absolutely not. In fact that's what I thought the whole test drive. Do I NEED my car to feel like it's trying to jump out of it's skin whenever I push the pedal down? Nope. But is that a blast? Yep. Is it work $10k? IMO, no, not if you're a normal driver or if another $10k is difficult to budget. Is it worth $10k PLUS free supercharging? IMO, yes. Again, I drive a lot. I drive for fun, up mountains and as twisty of roads as I can find. I plan on lots of road trips.

The Model 3 is a wonderful car. RWD was an absolute blast, and if I had better impulse control or wasn't as fortunate to be able to afford a P3D without too much trouble I would be more than happy with a RWD (well, AWD actually due to semi-frequent trips to snow). However, if it didn't come with free supercharging I don't think I could've rationalized the up-charge just for the performance increase. From what it sounds like the AWD is a nice performance in-between if that's what you're looking for.

I really appreciate the response and I totally agree with you, hence i "just" got AWD. With the test drives, one wonders if Tesla has a test track or just going on the roads... test track would be incredible to play around with the car

I walked into the San Diego store and was offered a test drive in the P3D. Was there for a wedding so I thought I thought it would be a great way to compare it to the RWD (which I had previously rented on Turo).

It was significantly faster, but not enough to even tempt me to spend the extra money. Of course, the $55k that I am already spending is somewhat of a stretch as I'm a pretty conservative spender.

Anyways if you're in the SD area they have all kinds of room to fit you in for a P3D test drive.