Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Invited to configure... have a couple of questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Hopefully someone is able to answer my questions.

As a late reserve holder (july of 2017), I hadn't thought the tax credit was a possibility. My planned configuration was a SR, with premium interior and AWD. Now that I have an invitation AND an estimated delivery is 3-5 months the net difference is only $1500 for the LR which make it more enticing to me (although still not necessary considering I have an 8 mile commute).

So my question is this: If I configure now, pay my $2500, am I locked into the LR should their be delays and I don't get the tax credit? I would still buy a M3, if it goes beyond Dec I'd opt to switch to the SR.

Thanks

Yes after you order there is still a edit button to Change your configuration. It will disappear once your car goes into production. So if you get close to October and November and still see the edit button you can change it to the Short (standard) Range configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Once you actually put down your 2500 down payment, can you delay the car in any way? It seems like delivery is delayed quite a bit at this point anyway (saying 3-5 months now) but what if I need to delay delivery and final payment? Does anyone know what the options are here?

Once you actually put down your 2500 down payment, can you delay the car in any way? It seems like delivery is delayed quite a bit at this point anyway (saying 3-5 months now) but what if I need to delay delivery and final payment? Does anyone know what the options are here?
I have heard that they release your assigned VIN and give it to someone else and you have to wait for a new VIN. I am not sure about losing your deposit but I don't think so. The thing to keep in mind is if you pull the trigger and pay the $2500 deposit that means you are committed to getting your car. There is also the $7500 Tax Credit (assuming you qualify due to your tax situation) to consider which is speculated to end on at the end of the year.

That 3-5 months can actually be a longer wait or it could be sooner. Its Tesla so who knows what will change in the next few months. My configuration estimate said 3-6 weeks when I did it in April now its been over 8 weeks. Others that configured in April have waited over 10 weeks! :eek:

I have heard that they release your assigned VIN and give it to someone else and you have to wait for a new VIN. I am not sure about losing your deposit but I don't think so. The thing to keep in mind is if you pull the trigger and pay the $2500 deposit that means you are committed to getting your car. There is also the $7500 Tax Credit (assuming you qualify due to your tax situation) to consider which is speculated to end on at the end of the year.

That 3-5 months can actually be a longer wait or it could be sooner. Its Tesla so who knows what will change in the next few months. My configuration estimate said 3-6 weeks when I did it in April now its been over 8 weeks. Others that configured in April have waited over 10 weeks! :eek:

My hypothesis is that you waited so Elon didn't go over 200K until Q3. Now that we're about to be in Q3, the floodgates are open.

I meant to say "he" waited on some of those deliveries. Clearly you wouldn't of waited if it was up to you. ;)
Agreed that was the reason for the delay. My point is when it comes to Tesla you cannot assume too much as things will change. For example, Short Range was estimated for me Dec 2017 and got pushed back to March 2017 and then towards the end of 2018. We can plan but in the end who knows what will actually happen.

I hoping that all of you that configured recently won't have to wait the 3-5 months estimated time and get the car sooner as production ramps up. I hope its true that Tesla will deliver a bunch of cars starting in July :D

Yes after you order there is still a edit button to Change your configuration. It will disappear once your car goes into production. So if you get close to October and November and still see the edit button you can change it to the Short (standard) Range configuration.
Are we sure about this? I placed my order yesterday (with the thousands of others who were able to configure for the first time yesterday). Checking my account now and the edit button is gone. I have a hard time believing my car went into production already (I reserved 4/5/16). Are other people still seeing the edit button?

• Helpful
Reactions: ebmcs03
Are we sure about this? I placed my order yesterday (with the thousands of others who were able to configure for the first time yesterday). Checking my account now and the edit button is gone. I have a hard time believing my car went into production already (I reserved 4/5/16). Are other people still seeing the edit button?
Most likely, your config was matched with an existing car. Expect a ViN, phone call within next few days

Reactions: ebmcs03
Most likely, your config was matched with an existing car. Expect a ViN, phone call within next few days
I am really trying to not get my hopes up. I would absolutely love to take delivery ASAP, but I just have a feeling it's going to be another long wait...

Can anyone else confirm their edit button is still there after placing their order?

Edit: I checked on mobile and desktop version of the site and no edit button

I am really trying to not get my hopes up. I would absolutely love to take delivery ASAP, but I just have a feeling it's going to be another long wait...

Can anyone else confirm their edit button is still there after placing their order?
My edit button is still there. I am not sure if it means your car is in production. It did mean that before but who knows now...

Keep us posted either way.

I can see the edit option. Reserved 4/1/16, configured 6/27

Whats your configuration?

Are you owner or non-owner?

Hello,

Hopefully someone is able to answer my questions.

As a late reserve holder (july of 2017), I hadn't thought the tax credit was a possibility. My planned configuration was a SR, with premium interior and AWD. Now that I have an invitation AND an estimated delivery is 3-5 months the net difference is only $1500 for the LR which make it more enticing to me (although still not necessary considering I have an 8 mile commute).

So my question is this: If I configure now, pay my $2500, am I locked into the LR should their be delays and I don't get the tax credit? I would still buy a M3, if it goes beyond Dec I'd opt to switch to the SR.

Thanks
PLEASE REMEMBER that at the worst scenario the Federal Tax Credit will extend into 2019. Assuming the 200,000 threshold is met July 1st or after the FULL $7,500 Federal tax Credit will be valid for all cars purchased in 2018. THEN the credit goes to $3,750 for the first 6 months of 2019.THEN it gets cut to $1,875 until the end of 2019. So in the best case is there will be SOME KIND of federal EV Tax credit for Tesla vehicles in ALL OF 2019.
WORST CASE is that the 200,000 threshold is met in Jun 2018, which means the whole timeline is accelerated EARLIER by 3 months. In that case full Tax credit is only until September 2018, BUT YOU STILL get $3750 for purchases from October 2018 until March 2019 and $1875 until September 2019.

PLEASE also remember that the Federal Tax Credit is applied towards your Federal tax liability ON ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME AFTER EITHER Standard or Itemized Deductions. The tax bill passed last year RAISED the Standard Deduction to $12,000 for single and $!2,000 for Joint returns. In Many cases even if your car purchase qualifies you for the full deduction YOU MAY NOT ACTUALLY pay $7,500 in Federal Taxes, meaning that it wouldn't matter if you got the full credit or not.

You can still pay a change fee. It delays your delivery, but otherwise it's not as big a deal.

My main thing is the tax credit. If it looks very much like you're missing the $7500 and only getting $3500, then it's worth the $500 change fee to get whatever car you want.

I doubt we'll have an idea of how soon or late you'll get the car until months from now (towards end of the year). I expect huge changes in the meantime (some groups get it much earlier, some get delayed).