Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ioniq 5? too bad its a hyundai.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately the geniuses at Hyundai detuned it compared to the EV6,
meaning less well planted on the road on the twisties.

Gorgeous to look at but driving it not so much, from reviews I read so far.

Anyway in the US it is a EV tax break quota car only, sold in a few states.

Unfortunately the geniuses at Hyundai detuned it compared to the EV6,
meaning less well planted on the road on the twisties.

Gorgeous to look at but driving it not so much, from reviews I read so far.

Anyway in the US it is a EV tax break quota car only, sold in a few states.

Kyle from Out of Spec disagrees with what you’ve read and says the chassis is very well sorted.

Last edited:
Every time I sit in Hyundai or Kia I feel again riding a 1998 Elantra ... just a new refreshed 1998 Elantra. A few years back I was cross shopping with Sonata Hybrid, and Sonata was a total sparkly $hit, then I cross shopped with Kia Kona, and I didn't even drive that $hit because it was a tiny $hit with a terrible forward view. So yes, I share the stance of the OP, it would be a good car if it were not another Hyundai.

Hyundai/kia is not what it used to be in the 90s
They are pretty solid nowdays maybe not as good toyota and honda but definitely better than most especially american which doesn’t matter now cause chevy ford chrystlers dont make cars for the usa anymore other than muscle cars and trucks
And hyundai and kia slap the 10yr/100k warranty on everything

As far as dealer horror stories yea but tbh I’ve heard it from almost any unfortunately

The biggest question is is how much are you willing to put up with electrify america etc.

But the ioniq in my opinion looks better than id4, etron, hell better than the regular mach e

I like what I heard /seen on the reviews so far!. Seems to be a bit better than the Mach-e. Qualifies for incentives too. That a Plus!

This.

I was surprised at the smooth suspension of the Ioniq 5 in my three test drives. I've been too used to the harshness of the Model Y and Mach-E.

There needs to be more choices out there and availability is great (3500+ Ioniq 5s arriving in next 2-3 weeks) so it seems Hyundai is shipping 4K to 5K Ioniq 5s to the US a month.

Reactions: Ocelot
The interior looks pretty good, but the walkthrough video of the internal controls sees like a real complicated mess with buttons ad touchscreen and other controls. Which is a shame, because I considered it momentarily.

100% agree. The UI and controls are a mess but once you get used to it… it’s not unusable. The steering wheel buttons/joystick are poorly thought out.

I personally think the Mach-E has one of the best UI and physical controls. Everything is understandable from first glance. The Ioniq 5 took me three test drives to be comfortable with the control scheme and I needed to watch this video too. I wanted to try out every main feature.

I drove a couple Ioniq 5's this past weekend. Local dealer has around 15 on the lot (more on the way). I thought it drove great - better ride than the 3 or Y, although not as quick as the P3 - but it did feel as quick as a Y. Seat, I thought, were much more comfortable. I'm not sure on the screens yet - although I do prefer the dash cluster over the 3 and Y screens.

I don't think I can wait for the Lightning - so I'm definitely considering this - or the EV6 (on their way).
D62A9DDB-ABAD-40C9-AE92-AAECC83AEF1F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
Hyundai/kia is not what it used to be in the 90s
They are pretty solid nowdays maybe not as good toyota and honda but definitely better than most especially american which doesn’t matter now cause chevy ford chrystlers dont make cars for the usa anymore other than muscle cars and trucks
And hyundai and kia slap the 10yr/100k warranty on everything

As far as dealer horror stories yea but tbh I’ve heard it from almost any unfortunately

The biggest question is is how much are you willing to put up with electrify america etc.

But the ioniq in my opinion looks better than id4, etron, hell better than the regular mach e
It's pretty obvious that the OP doesn't own and hasn't owned a Hyundai in the last five years.

Reactions: SpaceShipDrvr
It's pretty obvious that the OP doesn't own and hasn't owned a Hyundai in the last five years.
I'm guessing this has more to do with appearances than perceived lack of quality. What would the neighbors think? I don't have that problem as my neighbor who drives a loaded F250 never fails to remind me that Teslas are really not that expensive :).

The specs on the car look really good. I'm just not sure how many people will be happy with the "hot hatch" look.