Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Hyundai's website, it doesn't look like it's available yet in the US (and when it is, it will be in limited quantities), but I'd be interested in driving one. I have a feeling that once we have our MYLR, we may be wanting a second EV and the value of an IONIQ5 with a $7,500 tax credit might be too good to pass up.

"Extremely limited availability. 2022 IONIQ 5 will be available in early 2022 in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, TX, VT, VA, and WA. Additional state availability coming in mid-2022. See your Hyundai dealer for availability details."

if you drive locally, charge at home, and don't care about Tesla technology get Hyundai.
If you take occasional long trips and use even basic Autopilot there is no comparison to Tesla.
Autopilot? Wife and I routinely put around 7,000~8,000 miles on our EV (MY) a year. Without the Tesla Supercharger network we couldn't do that (did 2,700 miles in a Bolt, Cape Cod to AZ. Never again...).

Rich

I guess my biggest concerns are lack of Google maps, live traffic, Spotify music, Netflix, you tube, games (my kids enjoy all of this), supercharger network...does Ioniq have any of these features? Back to regular legacy auto maps? Does it have apple car play?

I’m seeing tremendous value here at a price for the top line that is better then MY’s cheapest config. 🤷🏽‍♂️

0-60 in 4.9 even. Respectable indeed. Hmmm 🤔

Starting to see quite a few on the road here in Canada. Nice looking car and good reviews. Cheaper, more options and similar real world range and as fast if not faster than the Y so no slouch either. Biggest asset is the suspension is apparently a heck of a lot better than the Y according to the reviews so far.
Looking myself and like that ultimate package we have here :) for 5k cnd…worth it.
Wonder if anyone in Can got that package yet.?

Head up display, cooled seats, pano roof auto cover, CarPlay/android auto, actual bsm and rear cross traffic, head up display, 20” ride, softer suspension, 0-100 in 5.1, reclining seats with auto foot rest, one pedal driving…

Guys…this is something interesting :)

Attachments

• 64852DB8-ED67-4A7E-8CEE-3E1EEA2B41FC.png
    64852DB8-ED67-4A7E-8CEE-3E1EEA2B41FC.png
    448.6 KB · Views: 940
The Ioniq 5 looks like a good mainstream, relatively affordable choice for a BEV, assuming you can get one at MSRP. It's got a lot of great features absent from the Tesla including a HUD, center stack, 360 camera, and ventilated seats. The "electrical out" from the big battery is also pretty nifty for situations like a power outage, glamping, tailgating, and other scenarios. Having a broader sales and service network will surely ease a lot of peoples concern too.

However, I still have a skeptical to negative opinion of Hyundai/Kia vehicles overall. This is v1 of a new platform, be curious to see what type of issues emerge, and how well their dealer service network is actually equipped to deal with them. Having a local service center but lacking parts and expertise to fix could certainly equate to a "no better than Tesla", or a worse experience in many cases, such as no mobile service.

Last edited:
Have had quite a few experiences with Hyundai between my children and myself, even owned 3 Genesis prior to the Y. Must say they were the most reliable cars I have ever had except maybe for a 1981 Toyota Supra that could easily compete with the Energizer Bunny. My daughter did have an engine die on her Elantra which was out of warranty by quite a bit yet they replaced the engine no questions asked with a loaner and zero cost to her!

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Jump in guys. It's a Hyundai.
I've had three and my son had two. (It took a long learning curve before either of us would vow to never, ever, ever consider anything with a Hyundai name on it).

The first Sante Fe saved my family in a crash. "I'll give it that." Or at least credit the airbags.

The Hyundai Tuscon rode like a bouncing brick and the mileage was nowhere near the EPA promise.
(When a Prius says 51 mpg, you get 51 and maybe even a bit more).

The Elantra promised 40 mg mileage and it never came close averaging 27 mpg at it's peak. They just keep returning it saying, "Everything checks out OK."

How could that be?? Heard of mileage gate? If they can lie about that, how much do you trust the rest of the car?

Hey, you could get compensation for the mileage deficit, but Hyundai made it so difficult that it wasn't worthwhile. You had to show up EVERY month at the dealership to collect your $17.32, while they spent an hour haranguing you to buy tires or another one of their pieces of junk. Sly lawyers too.

My son had two. Both were returned under the lemon law.
The first one was towed to service 9 times in the first 6 months. The second one got 12 mpg and the national engineer couldn't figure out why. They even removed the gas tank. A match in the tank would have been more appropriate. I should have known to stay away, when the first new one off the lost died on the second day.

My office manager got a used Accent that spent more time in the shop ("we don't find any problem") than it did in our lot, until she finally dumped it on some poor soul for about half of what she paid to it.

Buyer Beware? Sign up and get one, guys, if you like death by a thousand cuts. We complain about Tesla service. Geez. Don't even go there with Hyundai.

Last edited: