Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the delta is pretty small for highway driving, driven mostly by the fact that most of the energy goes to heat. Being 30% less efficient on the 30% actually doing work is 9%. And of course back to the reality of quick fill ups.

Also, for most cars, unless you reset the trip odometer on every fill up, you're making an approximation on fuel economy. Some give a bit more info, though the live gauge on my outback just showed more or less, not numbers. That was buried elsewhere in a hard to use feature. It's of course front and center in hybrids and now EVs.

This is a really good video that describes some of the discrepancies in EPA ratings.

The short version is that manufacturers have the right to choose from 2 different standards, picking the one that gives them the best result if they desire. They also have the ability to reduce the rating, as Porsche does as they feel it better reflects reality.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: matj1285
Finally had the chance to drive an SE RWD and Limited AWD Ioniq 5 today. I was excited to try them as I have the ear pressure booming over bumps in my MYLR. The SE RWD is fine, not exciting, just okay. The Limited is much more fun. Feels stronger from 0-30 MPH, but doesn't have the punch at higher speeds, say from 50-70 mph. It was kind of nice to have some buttons back, but many are touch-capacitive and you still have to look away from the road to use. Heated/cooled seats were buried 3 levels deep in touch screen. The blind spot video takes much longer to appear than in the Y and would take some getting used to. Slows your reflexes in traffic.

The ride is definitely more absorbent over bumps and rough roads, but that did not make up for other shortcomings. It had a jerky, slingshot effect to the acceleration - a half second delay when stomping the pedal. The car was always correcting my steering for every bit on paint on the road (maybe you could disable this). The driving experience was much less satisfying for me than my MYLR.

Glad to finally be able to put that alternative to rest. I'll just continue to work on the resonance and harsh ride in my car. Ioniq 5 is a fine car for others, but not for me.

The car was always correcting my steering for every bit on paint on the road
Was that Hyundai’s autosteer feature? I haven’t driven the Ioniq or driven a Hyundai with autosteer but I did rent a Toyota Camry with it once and it was horrible. It gave the steering a spongy feel and just made the car feel unsafe on the highway until I figured out how to turn it off.

Was that Hyundai’s autosteer feature? I haven’t driven the Ioniq or driven a Hyundai with autosteer but I did rent a Toyota Camry with it once and it was horrible. It gave the steering a spongy feel and just made the car feel unsafe on the highway until I figured out how to turn it off.
Yes, and you can probably turn it off. There were A LOT of settings that we were trying to figure out on the fly.

I have an EV6 and the cooled seats are really really nice. I've had other luxury cars and this is the best i've had in terms of cooling.

On the EV6, it has dedicated hard buttons for cooled and heated seats which is different than the I5. You can permanently disable the lane centering assist by holding down the lane centering button on the steering wheel for 5 seconds. The Hyunda/KIa also have the blind spot indicators on the mirrors which is a way better implementation than Tesla's center screen solution - i really despise that implementation. I don't look at my center screen when i change lanes.

The sling shot acceleration is annoying...i think its due to the clutch packs on the front motors re-engaging to assist in the acceleration. If you have it in sport mode, the front axles are already engaged so the sling-shot effect is mitigated and becomes very responsive like a Tesla. The handling is definitely more family crossover than sport utility which I prefer for that vehicle. The autosteer in the Hyundai/Kia is pretty good but autopilot is better for sure. I'm not going to talk about the software...they aren't even on the same planet for that.

I have an EV6 and the cooled seats are really really nice. I've had other luxury cars and this is the best i've had in terms of cooling.

On the EV6, it has dedicated hard buttons for cooled and heated seats which is different than the I5. You can permanently disable the lane centering assist by holding down the lane centering button on the steering wheel for 5 seconds. The Hyunda/KIa also have the blind spot indicators on the mirrors which is a way better implementation than Tesla's center screen solution - i really despise that implementation. I don't look at my center screen when i change lanes.

The sling shot acceleration is annoying...i think its due to the clutch packs on the front motors re-engaging to assist in the acceleration. If you have it in sport mode, the front axles are already engaged so the sling-shot effect is mitigated and becomes very responsive like a Tesla. The handling is definitely more family crossover than sport utility which I prefer for that vehicle. The autosteer in the Hyundai/Kia is pretty good but autopilot is better for sure. I'm not going to talk about the software...they aren't even on the same planet for that.
I didn't test drive the EV6 as I thought the row of buttons that switches from audio to climate would be too annoying. What's your opinion?

I didn't test drive the EV6 as I thought the row of buttons that switches from audio to climate would be too annoying. What's your opinion?

Its kinda annoying but I don't really use that for the radio. I leave it in the climate mode and use the touchscreen for media. I also just use the volume switch on the steering wheel to control volume so really much ado about nothing. Over time, I've really become a fan of the looks of the EV6. Its been a wonderful car to own and the charging is blazing fast on roadtrips (if the stupid EA charger isn't broken).

Honestly, If i had to only own one car, I'd still pick my M3P but I prefer the EV6 for family duties as its more comfortable and waaaay quieter than my Tesla.

Reactions: Chi_Guy and Noflash
I did a comprehensive review last year. Owned both.

IONIQ 5 Review and Comparison to Model Y

Ioniq 5
Pros
  • Stunning looks
  • Maximum range of 303 miles
  • Fast-charging ability
  • Sustainable cabin materials
  • Zero-emissions driving
  • Over-the-air updates for maps and multimedia software
Cons
  • Range good, but still not at Tesla levels
  • Entry-level version with smaller battery not on sale until the spring
  • Interior lacks the retro-futuristic charm of the exterior

New?​

• The Ioniq 5 is completely new and a great first surge into the EV market
  • Comes with 800-volt fast-charging capability
  • Offers latest Highway Driving Assist 2 features
  • Base model with 220 miles of range arrives in the spring
PRICING

IONIQ 5 LIMITED $56945 MODEL Y LR $69440

Hard to find.... Long wait

Up to $10 markup Inconsistent delivery dates

12495 Savings

$7500 Tax Credit

$19,995 Less than a Model Y

Advantage IONIQ 20 points

DRIVING

An all-wheel-drive Ioniq 5 has a second motor driving the front wheels. This 74-kilowatt front motor brings total output to 320 horsepower and 446 lb-ft of torque. The AWD Ioniq 5 hits 50 mph in less than five seconds, delivering satisfying punch from a standstill, but also confident thrust at higher speeds. All variants have a top speed of 115 mph.

IONIQ 5 LIMITED $56945 MODEL Y LR $69440 (NO FSD)

Handles well vs Great Handling

Quiet (Laminated windows) vs Quiet (Laminated windows)

Steering Assist vs Autopilot

Wide 55 tires, vs smooth Wheel Choice

256 Range, actual 264 vs 318 Range, actual 275

0 – 60 in 4.74 sec vs 0 to 60 in 4.8 sec

Advantage Model Y LR 5 points (50 points for me)

The autopilot totally outshines the steering assist. I almost took out the neighbor's garbage cans and lawn while driving the IONIQ 5. This is the primary reason I am not keeping the vehicle. My wife said, “You need to get rid of this car before you kill both of us!”

For someone who has never owned a TESLA, the IONIQ would be just fine, but my body and brain memory will not let me trust this vehicle. A neighbor with an ID-4 said the same thing. The only safe way to drive with the steering assist is with it off.

EXTERIOR STYLING

IONIQ 5 LIMITED $56945 vs MODEL Y LR $69440 (NO FSD)

Fresh, new vs Dated duck bill styling

Turns hundreds of heads vs Looks like every other TESLA

Generated over 30 comments in 3 wks Mundane, 8 year old styling.

Some fresh new colors (Gag green) vs Same old 5 Red & Blue only color

Advantage IONIQ5 5 points

INTERIOR STYLING

Great passenger room vs Limited passenger room

No appreciable FRUNK vs Sizeable FRUNK

No deep rear trunk vs Deep rear trunk

Soft comfortable styling vs Dated styling

Advantage TIE

FAVORED FEATURES

Front seat leg support vs Not available

Vehicle to load charging vs Not available

Ultra-fast charging 10% to 18% in 18 min vs Slower charging rates

Cool shade for roof meets in the middle vs None

Advantage IONIQ 5 5 points

STANDARD FEATURES

IONIQ 5 LIMITED $56945 MODEL Y LR $69440 (NO FSD)

AWD vs AWD

Blue Link Ltd phone control vs Good phone control

No auto lock vs Auto-Lock HUGE

No auto shut-off vs Auto shut off HUGE

Four-level regenerative braking vs Off/On regenerative braking

Three driving levels Eco/Norm/Sport vs One driving level

Advantage TIE

SECURITY

No security cameras vs SENTRY

Advantage Model Y 5 points

Pet Peeves

Blind spot mirrors vs No blind spot mirror HUGE for me

Push button to initiate front sensors vs Automatic sensors

All and all the IONIQ 5 is well-designed and beats the MODEL Y in a number of areas, including styling and significantly in price ($20,000).

It is an excellent vehicle out of the box.

If I weren’t already brain trained in AUTOPILOT, I would keep the IONIQ 5.

It is a super deal for an ICE driver and likely a better deal than a Model Y

UPDATE
The IONIQ 5 was sold for more than I paid and I am enjoying my Model Y Performance.

Attachments

• 20220403_134735_resized.jpg
    20220403_134735_resized.jpg
    889.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220403_133720_resized.jpg
    20220403_133720_resized.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220403_133120_resized (1).jpg
    20220403_133120_resized (1).jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 52
  • PPF Front minus duck bill. jpg.jpg
    PPF Front minus duck bill. jpg.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Mud Flap on all Paws.jpg
    Mud Flap on all Paws.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Satin roof blend.jpg
    Satin roof blend.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 52
  • Satin A.jpg
    Satin A.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
Comprehensive review of Polestar 2 above is out of date. For now, no more tax credit until Chinese manufacturing switched to North America and batteries qualified. It also should really be compared to Model 3 for pricing especially for future tax credit limit of $55,000 for sedans.

Reactions: nate704
Ioniq 5 beat Model Ys in price only. Styling is very subjective. I think it is super weird (my own opinion).
I totally agree, styling should not be included in reviews because thats 100% personal preference.

I've also seen a few comparisons to the Model Y "Fully optioned out" (which includes FSD for $15k) and they use that as a basis for comparison (see Model Y vs. Polestar 3).

I totally agree, styling should not be included in reviews because thats 100% personal preference.

I've also seen a few comparisons to the Model Y "Fully optioned out" (which includes FSD for $15k) and they use that as a basis for comparison (see Model Y vs. Polestar 3).
There is a HUGE difference between "SUBJECTIVE" styling and "DATED" styling. The duck nose of the Model Y, and for the most part, the rest of the car was introduced with the Model 3 on July 7, 2017. That's five years and by Automotive standards is ANCIENT. That is why I spiced up the front of my MYP with a decal, and satin blackened the A-Piller, which a few people hate, but, hey, personal preference.

I failed to mention another significant advantage of the Hyundai Ionic 5. It comes with accurate range prediction and TWO free years of supercharging.
My MYP has roughly 5000 miles on it and already won't charge above 288 miles, when the listed range is 303. Do they count what's left after zero (0)??
Another big plus for the IONIQ 5 is the FREE SUPERCHARGING for TWO years, the Bose, interior lighting, shade curtain and the inverter.

Styling, perhaps not "super weird" by the CYBRTRK standard, but..... preference

In spite of all of the IONIQ 5 advantages; $12,400 less MSRP, $7500 tax credit, four levels of regenerative braking, and three driving levels Eco/Norm/Sport, Free Supercharging, etc, I still chose to keep the 2022 MYP over the 2022 IONIQ 5, and I am glad I did. Steering assist was a killer for me, as was the START button and lack of an auto-shutoff. That may be why IONIC 5 sales continue to drop.

There is a HUGE difference between "SUBJECTIVE" styling and "DATED" styling.
No - they’re the same. Style is a personal preference. I can decide for myself what I like and I assume you can, too. I quit worrying what other people thought about how my car looks when I graduated from high school.
I failed to mention another significant advantage of the Hyundai Ionic 5. It comes with accurate range prediction and TWO free years of supercharging.
My MYP has roughly 5000 miles on it and already won't charge above 288 miles, when the listed range is 303. Do they count what's left after zero (0)??
Another big plus for the IONIQ 5 is the FREE SUPERCHARGING for TWO years, the Bose, interior lighting, shade curtain and the inverter.
You already said that.

Last I checked, the charging was at Electrify America - totally useless for me.

There is a HUGE difference between "SUBJECTIVE" styling and "DATED" styling.
The reality is its all about a low Cd. The Model Y (and pretty much all teslas) dont have anything to disrupt the airflow. Everything is puprosely designed for low drag, no unneeded lines, no protrusions, everything is minimalist to keep the air floiwing around the car. Even the scoops in the bumper are functional to direct air around the front wheels to limit the disturbance from the turbulence created by a rolling wheel. As an aerospace engineer I can totally appreciate that.

I honestly lay out my requirements before I look at cars. I dont care about looks. I go by what meets my needs (at the time). Years ago I bought a 1st gen CTS-V which looks like it was drawn by designers that were only given a ruler. But MAN it was fast for its time, sipped 87 octane with no complaint, and was formidable on the track. Of course now I'm older and prefer a car that gets more than 10mpg in the city (the way I drove it). I wanted range, fast charging, and a lot of cargo space. It being fast was a plus though. Its honestly amazing that my current SUV (CUV?) is roomier and more efficient than the Prius it replaced AND faster than that CTS-V (which at the time, was the fastest 4dr car on the market).

The Ioniq 5 has a Cd of 0.28 and the MY is 0.23. Thats a huge difference.... while the Hyundai can make up for some of that in charging speed, it doesn't change the fact that its not as efficient.

EDIT: I wiill say, I dont think panel misalignment helps aero AT ALL. alignment is critical for some of that stuff.

Last edited:
Finally had the chance to drive an SE RWD and Limited AWD Ioniq 5 today. I was excited to try them as I have the ear pressure booming over bumps in my MYLR. The SE RWD is fine, not exciting, just okay. The Limited is much more fun. Feels stronger from 0-30 MPH, but doesn't have the punch at higher speeds, say from 50-70 mph. It was kind of nice to have some buttons back, but many are touch-capacitive and you still have to look away from the road to use. Heated/cooled seats were buried 3 levels deep in touch screen. The blind spot video takes much longer to appear than in the Y and would take some getting used to. Slows your reflexes in traffic.

The ride is definitely more absorbent over bumps and rough roads, but that did not make up for other shortcomings. It had a jerky, slingshot effect to the acceleration - a half second delay when stomping the pedal. The car was always correcting my steering for every bit on paint on the road (maybe you could disable this). The driving experience was much less satisfying for me than my MYLR.

Glad to finally be able to put that alternative to rest. I'll just continue to work on the resonance and harsh ride in my car. Ioniq 5 is a fine car for others, but not for me.
Forgot to mention, the Ioniq5 allows you to power through a corner sliding the tail out, where the Y often cuts power in a turn. The moonroof shade is brilliant. The turn signals require much less effort. 😂

There is a HUGE difference between "SUBJECTIVE" styling and "DATED" styling. The duck nose of the Model Y, and for the most part, the rest of the car was introduced with the Model 3 on July 7, 2017. That's five years and by Automotive standards is ANCIENT. That is why I spiced up the front of my MYP with a decal, and satin blackened the A-Piller, which a few people hate, but, hey, personal preference.

Styling, perhaps not "super weird" by the CYBRTRK standard, but..... preference

In spite of all of the IONIQ 5 advantages; $12,400 less MSRP, $7500 tax credit, four levels of regenerative braking, and three driving levels Eco/Norm/Sport, Free Supercharging, etc, I still chose to keep the 2022 MYP over the 2022 IONIQ 5, and I am glad I did. Steering assist was a killer for me, as was the START button and lack of an auto-shutoff. That may be why IONIC 5 sales continue to drop.

Lol. How is the Bose audio system considered a plus? It’s awful. My friend dumped his SEL RWD for a Y and his major complaint was the poor audio system. I was unimpressed by it in my 3 separate test drives.

Tesla’s audio is just okay by my standards now. I want BMW i4 HK minimum in my next car.