Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beyond the high level overviews at the above, due to a Hyundai MPG class action lawsuit settlement, they put out some other info that they felt could lead to variable results. Examples of that below:

Automakers can (and likely do) push the boundaries in order to receive better results while still staying with the rules. How Fuel Economy Is Measured (And Why You Get Different MPGs) makes a reference to the above dispute between Hyundai and the EPA.
Reminds me of when they updated the SAE standards for determining HP ratings of combustion engines, about 15 years ago, to standardize some of the testing conditions, such as temperature, etc... Some Honda engines ended up with lower HP ratings at the time. For example, the Honda J32 in the Acura TL used to be rated at 270hp when the engine came out under the old standard, but got de-rated to 258hp after the revised standard was used. Honda got a lot of flack, because Nissan's VQ35DE at the time, maintained its 280hp rating even under the revised testing standards

Reactions: cwerdna
Got an Ioniq hybrid (not the Ioniq 5 EV) rental last Christmas and I was actually very impressed with its driver assist. It’s on par with basic autopilot if not better. WAY better than Toyota’s and Honda’s.

I will say the lane keep assist on this new 2022 civic sedan touring I got for my son is really good. No ping ponging between lanes at all, was very impressed.

Reactions: Daekwan
... The problem with current Tesla AP is phantom braking that I have not experienced with other systems(which are dumber except BC). Will be trying it out when I pick up my Y this week.

Have a MY (bought in AZ). Driven back and forth from AZ>Cape Cod>AZ. 13,000 miles on the car. No phantom braking(?).

Don't understand why this happens to some Tesla owners and not others.

Rich

We have both a 2015 MS and a 2021 MY. We took an Ioniq 5 out for a brief test drive on the weekend. Not a big fan of the flat, stark screens in an otherwise nicely contoured cockpit. The ride was smoother than the Y, but did not feel agile and the S or Y. Also, very little storage space.
What really turned me off, the rear passenger seats were set back in a slight reclined position. Anytime we hit some rough road or manhole cover, the rear seat would jitter side to side, enough to distract me and check my rearview mirror. That struck me as odd.
Also, the dealer rep told me the cars we started to see on the road locally were all ordered at the beginning of summer here in Vancouver. All the 2022s are spoken for and there is no delivery timeline for the next batch. I thought they might have an advantage over Tesla if they could supply vehicles in a reasonable length of time, but it appears not the case.
Oh yeah, the regen braking seems less than both the Y and the S, I found myself using the brake on the Ioniq despite using the highest level of region.

Last edited:
Reactions: mangrove79
Bang on.
Tesla still is the best car for sure. This is a good car though.

However; without a charging network, I wouldn’t take another brand even if it was better.
No other brand would ever work for my driving needs. The supercharger network is that crucial. Clearly only Elon gets that.
Also, I am so glad Elon has disrupted such a ridiculous industry. Hopefully he forces positive change. He’s on track.
Has anyone driven the Ioniq?
I haven’t, but I did take a long sit inside of a production model at the LA Auto Show and was very impressed. Out of all of the other EV’s at the show the only non-Tesla EV that I was impressed with was the Ionic-5. I honestly think that Tesla should be more worried about Hyundai/Kia more than anyone else - they have an excellent product… better than anything Ford, GM, or even the Germans have coming out. The Ionic5’s cousin has a GT Kia EV6 coming out soon that is almost apples to apples with the MYP.

We have both a 2015 MS and a 2021 MY. We took an Ioniq 5 out for a brief test drive on the weekend. Not a big fan of the flat, stark screens in an otherwise nicely contoured cockpit. The ride was smoother than the Y, but did not feel agile and the S or Y. Also, very little storage space.
What really turned me off, the rear passenger seats were set back in a slight reclined position. Anytime we hit some rough road or manhole cover, the rear seat would jitter side to side, enough to distract me and check my rearview mirror. That struck me as odd.
Also, the dealer rep told me the cars we started to see on the road locally were all ordered at the beginning of summer here in Vancouver. All the 2022s are spoken for and there is no delivery timeline for the next batch. I thought they might have an advantage over Tesla if they could supply vehicles in a reasonable length of time, but it appears not the case.
Oh yeah, the regen braking seems less than both the Y and the S, I found myself using the brake on the Ioniq despite using the highest level of region.

You have to adjust the regen via paddles. The 1-pedal is very strong. Probably stronger than the Y IMO. The default setting is weak regen with creeping.

In the US, there is tons of availability. My local dealer still has 36 Ioniq 5s unreserved. 10-12 are on the lot now.

I test drove it and am seriously considering but there are some issues that is causing me to hold off.
-No wireless car play/android auto. This just makes no sense and makes me question Hyundai’s philosophy.
-phone as key doesn’t work on IPhone. 80% market share in the US and Hyundai doesn’t support the iPhone? Only Android? I have gotten so used to not carrying a key fob that I don’t want to go back.
-Range seems suspect. Out of spec reviews got 227. Inside EV’s saw less than 200 in cold weather. The battery is decent enough in size. Range should be better.
-lack of storage. Tiny frunk, tiny sub trunk. This is something you don’t even know you want until you own a Tesla.

It’s a really nice car with all the features you can’t get in a Tesla. I just question if Hyundai understands what the next gen of cars should be like.

Iv had zero phantom breaking on my new model 3 but I also live in Arizona. New roads and plenty of space. I love AP. #1 Selling feature for me
not gonna lie, my 2010 Prius had "AP" (Lane keeping and dynamic cruise)... the Tesla’s is better, but it's also 11yrs newer. I imagine at this point MANY manufacturers offer something very comparable to AP (NoAP and FSD... not so much)

not gonna lie, my 2010 Prius had "AP" (Lane keeping and dynamic cruise)... the Tesla’s is better, but it's also 11yrs newer. I imagine at this point MANY manufacturers offer something very comparable to AP (NoAP and FSD... not so much)
Volvo’s system is amazing. On par with autopilot without any nags. Honda sense is catching up fast. Tesla is building that AI as fast as they can to achieve actual FSD. It will require true AI to finally get it going.

AP is nothing tech wise compared to what FSD will be eventually.

Volvo’s system is amazing. On par with autopilot without any nags. Honda sense is catching up fast. Tesla is building that AI as fast as they can to achieve actual FSD. It will require true AI to finally get it going.

From what I've heard a couple of systems are actually better than AP now. Basically, they provide the same level of functionality & steering torque for taking hard corners.. but they also include features like lane changing for free. I believe KIA's system is one of those that are top-rated.

Honda Sensing Elite is real deal SAE L3 tech. That said it only works on certain roads, in Japan, and under 35mph I believe. It's basically traffic jam assist capability. You figure with L3 driver-assist the driver is legally allowed NOT to pay attention. The Honda Sensing Elite will let you actually watch videos on the center screen of the car, while the car is in motion and the driver is using L3. So the manufacturer bears full responsibility if something goes wrong. No surprise they are being very careful rolling it out.

Which Volvo are you referring to? We got a 2022 C40 for my wife last month and I'm a bit disappointed with its Pilot Assist. Using Pilot Assist, the car feels a bit floaty within the lanes on a highway, and it cannot take anything more than a slight bend on its own, whereas AP can take fairly big curves on the highway at 65 MPH. I've tried both systems on the same stretch of highway and have found AP to be vastly superior to the Pilot Assist in the C40.

I'm sure other systems are superior to AP since AP is just lane keeping assist, but at least from what I've seen, it's definitely better than Volvo's system, at least the one in the C40.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi