Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As with so many EVs whether it's the right car for a family really "depends." From what I've seen this looks like a really nice vehicle. Because we use our EVs for occasional distance travel (AZ>Cape Cod>AZ and AZ/San Diego runs) we need an EV we can easily road-trip. If we were living solely on the East Coast and only going to and from say FL then the Ioniq 5 would likely be a viable EV (lots of EA charging stations on the East Coast.). Not as practical out in the South-West.

I've ordered a CCS-1 adapter from South Korea, which ought to arrive this Wed. This will make our Tesla Y (and our 2nd Tesla, a M3 SR) all the more practical.

There is little doubt that in a few years the infrastructure for EVs will be built out to the point where my considerations hold little merit. But, at the moment...

Rich

My wife and I were at the Twin Cities Auto show this weekend. They allowed you to test drive a number of electric cars including the Ioniq 5. My wife really liked it, and liked it better than our MY. So we may have a second electric car joining our family.
Cool! I will be at the TC Auto show tomorrow and am hoping to test drive as many EVs there as possible. Ioniq5 is definitely at the top of the list to check out.

Also, do they really have e-tron GT available to test drive as the website indicated?

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
Cool! I will be at the TC Auto show tomorrow and am hoping to test drive as many EVs there as possible. Ioniq5 is definitely at the top of the list to check out. ...
I like the Ioniq a lot. But now that I've gotten hold of a Tesla CCS-1 adapter (came today, a day early), which gives me access to all fast chargers, I'd be reluctant to give up that edge!

Rich

ot5sSDq.jpg

I test drove the Kia EV6 GTline which is built on the same platform as the Ioniq5. It’s a little underwhelming compared to the MY in my opinion. While I liked the buttons, integrated CarPlay, and multiple screens, the vehicle feels more more “closed in” since it doesn’t have the panoramic sunroof and the amount of overall passenger and cargo space is less than the MY. The Ioniq5 has an option for panoramic sunroof but the amount of headroom is similar to the EV6 so it may feel a little like sitting in the back row of the 7 seat MY. The motor and battery for the EV6 is not as good as the MY so it’s not as efficient and doesn’t have as much torque as the MY. This is on a dual motor version that is more comparable to a MY. If you opt for the single motor version, the power is even less but you do get more range. Once you add in the ADMs, it costs the same as a MY but you get less bang for your buck. It’s unfortunate that the dealership model works this way but in this current vehicle market, they can afford to turn you away if you don’t want to pay above MSRP.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Interesting about the panoramic roof. Personally, I'd gladly swap that for an opening tilt/slide sunroof. It's not as if you can even see through the glass roof if you're sitting in the driver's seat ... well maybe if you lean back quite a lot, but then again, I didn't get FSD!

Interesting about the panoramic roof. Personally, I'd gladly swap that for an opening tilt/slide sunroof. It's not as if you can even see through the glass roof if you're sitting in the driver's seat ... well maybe if you lean back quite a lot, but then again, I didn't get FSD!
The MY has a bigger and better panoramic sunroof compared to the Ioniq 5 if you like having glass above you. It gives a more spacious feel to the vehicle IMO. In the MY you can look above you and see sky in the driver’s seat while the Ioniq 5 and EV6 it’s more towards the back. FSD is also a huge benefit to Tesla because no other manufacturer is currently doing the same thing. It’s one of the main reasons to pick up a new Tesla IMO.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I test drove the Kia EV6 GTline which is built on the same platform as the Ioniq5. It’s a little underwhelming compared to the MY in my opinion. While I liked the buttons, integrated CarPlay, and multiple screens, the vehicle feels more more “closed in” since it doesn’t have the panoramic sunroof and the amount of overall passenger and cargo space is less than the MY. The Ioniq5 has an option for panoramic sunroof but the amount of headroom is similar to the EV6 so it may feel a little like sitting in the back row of the 7 seat MY. The motor and battery for the EV6 is not as good as the MY so it’s not as efficient and doesn’t have as much torque as the MY. This is on a dual motor version that is more comparable to a MY. If you opt for the single motor version, the power is even less but you do get more range. Once you add in the ADMs, it costs the same as a MY but you get less bang for your buck. It’s unfortunate that the dealership model works this way but in this current vehicle market, they can afford to turn you away if you don’t want to pay above MSRP.

The AWD trims of the EV6 and Ioniq 5 in sport mode are really peppy. They are 100% comparable to a MYLR with the same 0 to 60 times too.

I got to rip down an empty road with the EV6 with the RWD and AWD. The RWD trim was underwhelming like an ID.4.

The cramped cabin of the EV6 is major issue for sure but the EV6 RWD efficiency (real world) dare I say from what I've seen posted by owners... very close to MYLR. Of course, the EV6 has a smaller battery and AWD with 20" tires is definitely less efficient... so real world range will be lower.

Reactions: Whtrbt7
I'm just the opposite. I never liked those "tiny" tilt/slide sunroofs from the 90's and 2000's. That was a great feature on dealer window stickers for sure, but I found myself NEVER actually using the slide/tilt feature because all they add is noise. It doesn't really help with circulation, and you can forget to close it when parking outside. The panoramic sunroof is exactly what I wanted instead. It gives me the airy feel, blocks out most sunlight and UV rays with its tint, and makes an elegant silhouette both inside and outside. As the driver, I don't look up very often. But when I do, typically at a stoplight to stretch out, I'm always amazed at how panoramic it is.

The AWD trims of the EV6 and Ioniq 5 in sport mode are really peppy. They are 100% comparable to a MYLR with the same 0 to 60 times too.
If you look at the top post on this page for the Youtube video, Ioniq 5 AWD vs MYLR, it says different. Sure, it was not 0-60 time, but I am sure 0-60 is not that different from the result in that video ("He got the jump on me!")

If you look at the top post on this page for the Youtube video, Ioniq 5 AWD vs MYLR, it says different. Sure, it was not 0-60 time, but I am sure 0-60 is not that different from the result in that video ("He got the jump on me!")

Ioniq 5 vs. MYP... The Performance will win of course. Ioniq 5 vs MYLR is what I'm comparing and in reality the Ioniq 5 AWD might actually edge the MYLR.

I'm just the opposite. I never liked those "tiny" tilt/slide sunroofs from the 90's and 2000's. That was a great feature on dealer window stickers for sure, but I found myself NEVER actually using the slide/tilt feature because all they add is noise. It doesn't really help with circulation, and you can forget to close it when parking outside. The panoramic sunroof is exactly what I wanted instead. It gives me the airy feel, blocks out most sunlight and UV rays with its tint, and makes an elegant silhouette both inside and outside. As the driver, I don't look up very often. But when I do, typically at a stoplight to stretch out, I'm always amazed at how panoramic it is.
I am the opposite.
I like the tiny tilt/slide sunroof/moonroof for the following reasons:

1. Less chance of rattling/squeaking
2. Great open air feel (compare to non sunroof models, no pano roof cars) and great air ventilation and circulation
3. Never forgot to close it when parked (I'm not sure how now to notice and forget to close when parked)

Cons of Pano Roof:

1. You cannot open
2. It can shatter and make your car convertible (which might be fun!)
3. HEAT HEAT and HEAT! that makes your head boil

Reactions: mangrove79
I still have a deposit on the Limited AWD (that I test drove and declined on Jan 29th)... but asked my dealer to move it to a Genesis GV60 EV.

That Genesis has basically nuked my interest in the Ioniq 5... because it's exactly what I wanted. The Ioniq 5 was underwhelming after all my test drives - I strongly preferred the EV6 but the new Genesis is better version of both.