Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have a deposit on the Limited AWD (that I test drove and declined on Jan 29th)... but asked my dealer to move it to a Genesis GV60 EV.

That Genesis has basically nuked my interest in the Ioniq 5... because it's exactly what I wanted. The Ioniq 5 was underwhelming after all my test drives - I strongly preferred the EV6 but the new Genesis is better version of both.

Performance model starting at almost $70k before any dealer mark up or option package. and it will be close to $80k very quick.
Car and Driver:
"Both models feature a 77.4-kWh battery good for an estimated range of 248 miles (Advanced) or 235 miles (Performance)."

"The Performance ups the ante to $68,980 and 429 horses, while also adding 21-inch wheels, adaptive dampers, stronger front brakes, nappa leather upholstery, and a Boost mode that temporarily raises the output to 483 horsepower."

I like the adaptive dampers, and also I am wondering how the boost mode works and how long it would work. I think it will be a few seconds of boost.

Last edited:
Performance model starting at almost $70k before any dealer mark up or option package. and it will be close to $80k very quick.
$60K for Advanced (base) which is like an upgraded Ioniq 5 Limited AWD. Hopefully not a sh**ty stereo like the Ioniq 5 since it is B&O now (like the Mach-E). Will have native battery pre-conditioning from the start and everything the Ioniq 5 probably should have shipped with.

Performance is equivalent to a MYP which I don't need.

Also eligible for $7500 tax credit.

The top trim of the Ioniq5 has a HUD - I always wanted one of those in fact I can't believe they're not already a mainstream standard feature

As for the tilt/slide sunroof, I just liked to open it on the Civic and get a bit of fresh air. There are just some days (admittedly few in Texas) where the weather is so nice and somehow the sunroof was better than opening the windows

...should call those Miata Days

The top trim of the Ioniq5 has a HUD - I always wanted one of those in fact I can't believe they're not already a mainstream standard feature

As for the tilt/slide sunroof, I just liked to open it on the Civic and get a bit of fresh air. There are just some days (admittedly few in Texas) where the weather is so nice and somehow the sunroof was better than opening the windows

...should call those Miata Days

The Kia/Hyundia HUD is useless in sunny weather with sunglasses. I recently bought a Telluride SX (top trim) as a second car and didn't even realized I had a HUD for the first 200 miles because my polarized sunglasses blocked the HUD display.

I wish every EV had the full set of safety features of the Telluride - they watered them down for the Ioniq 5 and EV6 to cut costs.

Reactions: cusetownusa
The Kia/Hyundia HUD is useless in sunny weather with sunglasses. I recently bought a Telluride SX (top trim) as a second car and didn't even realized I had a HUD for the first 200 miles because my polarized sunglasses blocked the HUD display.

I wish every EV had the full set of safety features of the Telluride - they watered them down for the Ioniq 5 and EV6 to cut costs.

I (wife) have the top trim as well. I had to put the HUD on maximum brightness and it is still tough to see with my sunglasses on. Was kind of bummed when I discovered this issue driving it home from the dealer, but honestly the HUD didn't live up to the hype for me anyways and now I don't even care that I can't see it with sunglasses on. The HUD also doesn't work with apple car play maps and the built in Nav sucks.

It is a great car with lots of tech, if only it was electric. Surprised the Ioniq 5 and EV6 have a watered down version of the Telluride Tech/safety features.

Reactions: mangrove79
Ioniq 5 vs. MYP... The Performance will win of course. Ioniq 5 vs MYLR is what I'm comparing and in reality the Ioniq 5 AWD might actually edge the MYLR.
I own both, and use I5 as daily driver last 3 weeks with several long trips. Acceleration on Ioniq 5 AWD is actually pretty ok. Pretty snappy and quick off line, but, it feels very different vs MY after you hit 60. It's like in a sprint that I5 just used a lot of energy to get to that sub 5 second number and is gasping for air once it hit the goal, where as Tesla would feel like it did that acceleration with relative ease and still has lot in the tank, so to speak, to go on much longer. It's a bit difficult to describe, so you really need to test drive them both to feel the difference. No right or wrong answer, it's just a different car.

Ioniq 5 is actually a very good car from Hyundai, and I would recommend it if you mainly care about comfortable and soft suspension ride. It's a really good transition car from someone who's very used to traditional ICE car and don't want to jump straight to the minimalist design of Tesla. Yes it has HUD, which I think it's cool at first but really don't care much for it after a few days. The problem is that HUD doesn't integrate with Apple CarPlay so if you use map on the phone, instead of built-in Nav, HUD is basically useless. And the build-in Nav is a disaster is the only word I would use to describe. It is not, and worth repeating, NOT location aware when you type in partial POI in search. For example, if I type in a partial coffee shop name, it will list suggestions with random coffee shops around the US. Only after you click enter to go on next step it will then show more relevant information. it is very annoying, and takes at least 2 additional presses to get navigation started. This is a stark contrast to how fast Tesla can start navi. Also the highway driving assist is just OK, it works but it's definitely not as good AP. HDA sometimes drives like a drunk driver that is having a hard time staying steady in the center of the lane, and shifting left and right too much. It's also not great at dealing with bigger curve, occasionally would steer itself over the line to either side. It's not terrible in most cases, but just need to be a little careful when you are surrounded by cars.

Also the key fob on I5 is super annoying, having to turn on and off the car, and lock the door are something that all Tesla owners would hate.

But if you can overlook some of minor annoyances, Ioniq 5 is actually not a bad car. if you can get it at MSRP and take an advantage of $7500 rebate it's a very good alternative.

I (wife) have the top trim as well. I had to put the HUD on maximum brightness and it is still tough to see with my sunglasses on. Was kind of bummed when I discovered this issue driving it home from the dealer, but honestly the HUD didn't live up to the hype for me anyways and now I don't even care that I can't see it with sunglasses on. The HUD also doesn't work with apple car play maps and the built in Nav sucks.

It is a great car with lots of tech, if only it was electric. Surprised the Ioniq 5 and EV6 have a watered down version of the Telluride Tech/safety features.

If the Telluride were electric it would cost $25K more IMO... at least. EVs truly cut down on features to save on costs.

1652905849902.png

Unlike Hyundai, at least with Kia you get all the standard safety features (like a front sensor!!!) on all trims but only the fancy 360 camera on the top trim or tech package. The prices of the Kia are higher though.

Reactions: mangrove79
I own both, and use I5 as daily driver last 3 weeks with several long trips. Acceleration on Ioniq 5 AWD is actually pretty ok. Pretty snappy and quick off line, but, it feels very different vs MY after you hit 60. It's like in a sprint that I5 just used a lot of energy to get to that sub 5 second number and is gasping for air once it hit the goal, where as Tesla would feel like it did that acceleration with relative ease and still has lot in the tank, so to speak, to go on much longer. It's a bit difficult to describe, so you really need to test drive them both to feel the difference. No right or wrong answer, it's just a different car.

Ioniq 5 is actually a very good car from Hyundai, and I would recommend it if you mainly care about comfortable and soft suspension ride.

I only test drove the Ioniq 5s (SE, SEL, Limited) on roads under 60mph so I only accelerated to 60s :)

I pretty much have zero interest in the Ioniq 5 now that the Genesis GV60 is available soon. That's the true competitor to the Y.

I only test drove the Ioniq 5s (SE, SEL, Limited) on roads under 60mph so I only accelerated to 60s :)

I pretty much have zero interest in the Ioniq 5 now that the Genesis GV60 is available soon. That's the true competitor to the Y.
It might be competitive in terms of performance but that's where it will end. The build quality and the interior will be light years ahead of Tesla. There will be a premium for that though but that should be expected.

Yeah GV60 pricing makes Ioniq 5 looks bad.
It's apparently made out of unobtainium;

"Initially, the 2023 Genesis GV60 will only be sold at select Genesis retailers in CA, CT, NJ and NY. Contact your Genesis retailer for availability details."

Problem with any of these new super-duper EVs is, among other issues:

• Unknown reliability
  • Unknown quirks
  • Problematic availability
  • Where get them repaired/serviced?
  • No objective street tests reviews done to-date

I'm not "anti" new EVs. Tesla needs a fire lit under that company's butt to keep them from acting all uppity in regard their customers. It's just that I'm not gonna get hot and bothered over a promising new machine until we see some firm data coming out about it.

Rich

It's apparently made out of unobtainium;

"Initially, the 2023 Genesis GV60 will only be sold at select Genesis retailers in CA, CT, NJ and NY. Contact your Genesis retailer for availability details."
Yeah the first batch is for those states. People have ordered a month or so ago.

For regular non ZEV states... ordering opens later this summer. I already have my name on a list at a few dealers.

There many new EVs available now.. the Cadillac Lyriq ordering just opened up today and one dealer told me they have 29 orders so far.

Reactions: Whtrbt7
I still have a deposit on the Limited AWD (that I test drove and declined on Jan 29th)... but asked my dealer to move it to a Genesis GV60 EV.

That Genesis has basically nuked my interest in the Ioniq 5... because it's exactly what I wanted. The Ioniq 5 was underwhelming after all my test drives - I strongly preferred the EV6 but the new Genesis is better version of both.

My order of preference between the same platform was Genesis GV60 then EV6 the Ioniq5. The GV60 is the superior version but I felt that it still doesn’t have the same level as a MY. I really hope the GV60 with the side mirror cameras are street legal in the US. The motors and battery in the MY IMO are still better however and even though the Hyundai/Kia platform has 800v and battery to load, I don’t view those as useful as the Tesla motors and battery durability.

Yeah the first batch is for those states. People have ordered a month or so ago.

For regular non ZEV states... ordering opens later this summer. I already have my name on a list at a few dealers.

There many new EVs available now.. the Cadillac Lyriq ordering just opened up today and one dealer told me they have 29 orders so far.
Thanks for the tip about the Lyriq. It will be interesting to see how it comes out. I was also looking at the Mercedes EQS 580 since that had such a cushy interior. I’m glad that there is more competition coming for EVs but the biggest issues are still with the dealership model and legacy profitability. I feel like most legacy “manufacturers” are not producing as many EVs since it’s not the current core of their business. For that reason alone, Tesla stands in a class on its own.

There is nothing like Tesla complete experience out there. Supercharger network is unbeatable at the moment.
Quite right. And now that I have the Tesla CCS adapter the charging world is my oyster...

Tesla can be frustrating to deal with (although, to be honest, I have had no issues with them). But there is a reason we now drive a MY and have a M3 SR on order. It just makes sense, unless using a car for only commuting or local use.

Rich