Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I was in your shoes I would either learn to live with it, spring for a suspension upgrade (lot's of good reviews here), or sell the car (excellent time but peak is passing!). I had a similar choice when my wife had trouble getting in and out of my M3 so I ordered an MY Jan 2020, sold my M3 that same month, and waited 'til Jun to pick up my MY, driving my commuter Honda Fit in the interim (loved it, gave it to my son after 15 years but I digress). The point is I had an issue with the M3 and dealt with it, haven't looked back. Since you asked, what I wouldn't do is take every opportunity to complain about the suspension here but would take action and move on. But that's me, seems the logical route.

A year ago there were NO viable alternatives to a Model Y and while the Y has improved over the last year and is a solid/reliable EV now... there are now plenty of choices.

It's the same with EV trucks... once there were none and now we have Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning, Silverado EV, Hummer EV, etc.

Reactions: Whtrbt7
Not quite so nice evaluation of the EV6 from Motor Trend, but no mention of range (244 from PBS Motor Week)

It's fair... but they still love how it drove "While the EV6's driving characteristics elicited grins..." and "Kia EV6 May Not Be A Great SUV, But It's Pretty Great"

EV6 is a hothatch that competes with a Model 3 and with the tax credit it is cheaper and probably better value.

As a crossover/SUV... it's not a good choice.

Reactions: 2101Guy
totally agree. From the article I posted above, "we can’t help but wonder how much better it could have been if Tesla had spent more time polishing its dynamics. With a smoother ride and quieter cruising manners, the Model Y could be a class leader."

Many people (maybe most?) buy a compact SUV as a practical hybrid of a sedan and minivan. Better driving position, easier entry and better storage than an sedan but more fun and not as 'frumpy' as a minivan. These people enjoy the acceleration but aren't looking for sports cars, they're looking for a good car to drive. It would make total sense for Tesla to have a more comfortable suspension in the LR model and a sport tuned suspension in the performance model.

My main complaints with my MY have been ride, the crappy adaptive cruise and the way they messed up the V11 UI. I'm on an old software version, but from the reports it sounds like they are making good strides in phantom braking and they have also worked on fixing some of the faults and deficiencies of the UI. Maybe they could get some of the folks from Öhlins or Moutain Pass Performance to their design lab and tweak the suspension a bit. Despite my complaints, the MY is overall a good car. With a bit of work it could be an incredible car.
Lol, I’m coming from a Honda Odyssey so I’m missing a lot of space and I love taking naps in the 2nd row captains chairs. I would get a Model X except the price, the Falcon doors, and the Y feels better to me. The MY falls under the “Crossover” category which is currently the most popular category for people to purchase. It’s basically a sedan crossed with an SUV which brings more space than a sedan but no off-roading which most compact and mid size SUVs have trouble doing. The Model Y can always improve in future generations and if they can get air suspension in there cheap, the ride will improve. It’s already an incredible car especially with FSD. There is always more room for improvement.

A year ago there were NO viable alternatives to a Model Y and while the Y has improved over the last year and is a solid/reliable EV now... there are now plenty of choices.

It's the same with EV trucks... once there were none and now we have Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning, Silverado EV, Hummer EV, etc.
I really hope they make more EVs. The delivery numbers for Ford and GM right now are really sad. The F-150 Lightning looks great and I hope that spurred Tesla to improve the Cybertruck. We are on the verge of getting more EV manufacturers which is great. I just hope we have enough lithium and cobalt to supply enough of us.

Well yeah, the VW and IH Scout comments were just a couple of "experienced" guys commiserating of course. I've had enough "floaty" BMW and other car time to really appreciate the MY though. I recently switched to the "sport" steering after 2 years and like that better too! But as with all the comments here, it's my opinion and YMMV.... :cool:
Everything's gotten better! I learned to drive on a 79 Impala. A big boat that floated like one. It totally absorbed bump in the road but you couldn't feel anything, either, and it handled like a boat.

The same goes for phantom braking - as annoying as it can be I still missed my MY when I had to drive our 2011 Odyssey with plain dumb cruse control.

One of the things I love about the Y is the amount of space it has but it still can't beat our Odyssey for hauling stuff. It's not nearly as fun to drive but you can pack so much stuff into a minivan!

Lol, I’m coming from a Honda Odyssey so I’m missing a lot of space and I love taking naps in the 2nd row captains chairs. I would get a Model X except the price, the Falcon doors, and the Y feels better to me. The MY falls under the “Crossover” category which is currently the most popular category for people to purchase. It’s basically a sedan crossed with an SUV which brings more space than a sedan but no off-roading which most compact and mid size SUVs have trouble doing. The Model Y can always improve in future generations and if they can get air suspension in there cheap, the ride will improve. It’s already an incredible car especially with FSD. There is always more room for improvement.
I went from Odyssey to the MYP too. I love minivans for their utility, but I'm finding that the MYP is more than sufficient in the utility department now that my oldest daughter got her driver's license and is more independent, so I'm usually dealing with 1~2 kids instead of 3. When I had the Odyssey I rarely stayed in it to wait/nap/etc because I'd feel guilty about running the engine to keep the HVAC on. No such guilt in an EV. In fact, I love staying in the MYP to watch shows or just chill out while waiting for my kids' activities. Oh, the MYP's acceleration is fun too.

By the way, does anyone know if the Ioniq5 have an equivalent to dog mode or camp mode? These types of modes are close to must haves for me going forward.

I went from Odyssey to the MYP too. I love minivans for their utility, but I'm finding that the MYP is more than sufficient in the utility department now that my oldest daughter got her driver's license and is more independent, so I'm usually dealing with 1~2 kids instead of 3. When I had the Odyssey I rarely stayed in it to wait/nap/etc because I'd feel guilty about running the engine to keep the HVAC on. No such guilt in an EV. In fact, I love staying in the MYP to watch shows or just chill out while waiting for my kids' activities. Oh, the MYP's acceleration is fun too.

By the way, does anyone know if the Ioniq5 have an equivalent to dog mode or camp mode? These types of modes are close to must haves for me going forward.
There is Utility mode on the Ioniq 5 is the closest to dog mode on the MY. Problem is, you have to lock the door manually. This is also a “camp mode” since it leaves the outlet, heat pump, and seat adjustment available. IMO, Tesla is easier to use for those 2 functions.

Reactions: gx9901
Whether you like or dislike the ride quality the fact is that the struts and springs are not matched correctly. BMW has a stiffer ride than a Lexus but it's not 'harsh'.
An educated automotive fan knows that Tesla ranks among the worst in terms of build quality
(JD Power Dependability Survey Places Tesla Among Worst-Ranked Car Brands In US)
Those who don't think legacy car manufacturers can't catch up and surpass Tesla in less than 5 years really don't know anything about the industry. Elon slept on the manufacturing floor trying to get the 3 moving. Ford did that over 100 years ago. Put down the Kool-aid and pick up a book.

Not sure what issues you are referring to but my new model Y has been rock solid and at least as good initial quality as any car I have ever purchased. The in car infotainment system is by far the best I have ever experience out of all car manufacturers. Don’t miss Apple car play at all.

I do believe they should start an App Store and offer a sirius/xm app though. But now that I have Spotify I don’t think I would go back to sirius anyways.

• Funny
Reactions: cusetownusa
Of note for the current thread, Kia was number 3 and Hyundai/Genesis were at 7 & 8. At least Tesla did better than Jaguar and Land Rover! 🥴

One caveat with the article - it looks at 3 year old vehicles, so any improvements that have been made in the last year or two won't be accurately reflected. It also focuses on 'initial quality' which hasn't always been well correlated with long term reliability.

1653409263224.png

Reactions: Suns and WhiteWi
Of note for the current thread, Kia was number 3 and Hyundai/Genesis were at 7 & 8. At least Tesla did better than Jaguar and Land Rover! 🥴

One caveat with the article - it looks at 3 year old vehicles, so any improvements that have been made in the last year or two won't be accurately reflected. It also focuses on 'initial quality' which hasn't always been well correlated with long term reliability.

View attachment 808206
Pretty big caveat. M3 just started rolling out and we all knew how bad it was, same as MY. Would be more relevant if look at this 3 years from now.

View attachment 808206
Looks like I'm screwed...with a Tesla and a first production year Volvo (C40) in our garage.o_O

The I5 is a nice car, but its not there yet.

If I were Hyundai or any other OEM/Legacy car maker I would replicate Tesla’s PAK functionality to the letter. The fact that you cant walk away from the car and have it auto lock is unacceptable IMO. The fact that they built NFC into the car but require that your phone be on to use it is a missed opportunity. The fact that PAK functionality is limited to Android phones is insane. The fact that you cant precondition the battery before level 3 charging makes no sense considering the car has a full battery temperature management system. The fact that you have a wireless phone charger but no wireless car play is an affront to technology. The fact that it has piano black all over the cabin is terrible. The fact that it has camera’s all over it but offers no sentry mode is so disappointing.

It’s a good car, dont get me wrong, but these decisions by Hyundai tell me they are not ready to truly compete with Tesla.

It’s a good car, dont get me wrong, but these decisions by Hyundai tell me they are not ready to truly compete with Tesla.
And also highlights the broader issue with large, legacy manufacturers - namely that they still operate today like they did in the 1970's, and can't or won't adopt fundamental changes internally which will improve things for the end customer and our surroundings.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod