Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
Yes and they shortened the service interval last I read. And it's stupid expensive... this coolant has even impacted their battery recalls cuz they cannot replace a battery w/o this specific coolant.

Their service docs are veruy strange but it Looks like the interval is every 40K . I have a lift in my garage so I could perform this myself but yea, this is a deal breaker for me .

Attachments

• IONIQ 5 1YR 10k miles Interim Service Checksheet.pdf
    59.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IONIQ 5 2YR 20k miles Service Checksheet.pdf
    59.2 KB · Views: 48
A year ago there were NO viable alternatives to a Model Y and while the Y has improved over the last year and is a solid/reliable EV now... there are now plenty of choices.

It's the same with EV trucks... once there were none and now we have Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning, Silverado EV, Hummer EV, etc.
I'm still surprised that I haven't seen a single one of any of these in the wild around where I live, Southwest FL, the most concentrated retirees in the US, who have plenty of money to spend. There are tons of Teslas here, in particular S and Xs, but increasing 3 and Ys. When you don't have to worry about mortgages and kids, it's amazing how freely you can spend. I'm literally wondering where are the ID4s, I5s and EV6s. Are they some mythical creatures? The only alternative EV I've seen in the wild is MME, a couple of times.

It's possible the generic designs of some of these "production" EVs make them easy to miss in a crowd of ICE cars, but I would definitely recognize a I5 when I see it. The others you mentioned, R1T, F-150, Silverado are just unicorns until they can deliver at least 100K/yr. So the "now we have ..." probably should be "in 2 years, we'll have..." ;)

The I5 is a nice car, but its not there yet.

If I were Hyundai or any other OEM/Legacy car maker I would replicate Tesla’s PAK functionality to the letter. The fact that you cant walk away from the car and have it auto lock is unacceptable IMO. The fact that they built NFC into the car but require that your phone be on to use it is a missed opportunity. The fact that PAK functionality is limited to Android phones is insane. The fact that you cant precondition the battery before level 3 charging makes no sense considering the car has a full battery temperature management system. The fact that you have a wireless phone charger but no wireless car play is an affront to technology. The fact that it has piano black all over the cabin is terrible. The fact that it has camera’s all over it but offers no sentry mode is so disappointing.

It’s a good car, dont get me wrong, but these decisions by Hyundai tell me they are not ready to truly compete with Tesla.

I was hoping for some real competition for Tesla (it'd be good for the brand). But, your points are valid. No preconditioning is kinda nutty for a vehicle that ought to be a solid road-tripping EV.

Maybe they'll get it squared away some day.

Rich

The I5 is a nice car, but its not there yet.

If I were Hyundai or any other OEM/Legacy car maker I would replicate Tesla’s PAK functionality to the letter. The fact that you cant walk away from the car and have it auto lock is unacceptable IMO. The fact that they built NFC into the car but require that your phone be on to use it is a missed opportunity. The fact that PAK functionality is limited to Android phones is insane. The fact that you cant precondition the battery before level 3 charging makes no sense considering the car has a full battery temperature management system. The fact that you have a wireless phone charger but no wireless car play is an affront to technology. The fact that it has piano black all over the cabin is terrible. The fact that it has camera’s all over it but offers no sentry mode is so disappointing.

It’s a good car, dont get me wrong, but these decisions by Hyundai tell me they are not ready to truly compete with Tesla.
I agree with most of your points, but wireless charging and wireless CarPlay are completely different technologies, and if you're going to complain about not having wireless CarPlay in the Hyundai you'd better complain about not having it at all in the Tesla.

Reactions: voxel
Repace the lead acid battery with LI and I'd be happy. I have no desire to replace a battery every 2-3 years on an electric car.
Are you talking about the Tesla or the Hyundai/Kia? Tesla is replacing the 12V batteries with LiFePO4 batteries and you can also get aftermarket retrofits. I assume you can get an aftermarket for other cars, but I've never checked so I don't know.
Yes and they shortened the service interval last I read. And it's stupid expensive... this coolant has even impacted their battery recalls cuz they cannot replace a battery w/o this specific coolant.

Yuk! That's a definite minus in the Hyundai/Kia column.

Are you talking about the Tesla or the Hyundai/Kia? Tesla is replacing the 12V batteries with LiFePO4 batteries and you can also get aftermarket retrofits. I assume you can get an aftermarket for other cars, but I've never checked so I don't know.
I was talking about the Hyundai. When I ordered my Tesla in September I had no Idea it came with a lead acid battery. I think I found out sometime in November. I really wasn't happy about that or the need for a jump just to get back in the car. Basically even if you carried a backup with you you couldn't get to it . This is when I wished the tesla had a normal door lock somewhere. Fast foreard to today where the Teslas are coming with the lithium 15V batteries tht should last as long as your main pack .

There are tons of reports of the I5 having dead battery issues already. So yea I won't get any EV without ALL lithium batteries.

I'm still surprised that I haven't seen a single one of any of these in the wild around where I live, Southwest FL, the most concentrated retirees in the US, who have plenty of money to spend. There are tons of Teslas here, in particular S and Xs, but increasing 3 and Ys. When you don't have to worry about mortgages and kids, it's amazing how freely you can spend. I'm literally wondering where are the ID4s, I5s and EV6s. Are they some mythical creatures? The only alternative EV I've seen in the wild is MME, a couple of times.

It's possible the generic designs of some of these "production" EVs make them easy to miss in a crowd of ICE cars, but I would definitely recognize a I5 when I see it. The others you mentioned, R1T, F-150, Silverado are just unicorns until they can deliver at least 100K/yr. So the "now we have ..." probably should be "in 2 years, we'll have..." ;)

Then you don't look hard enough... lol.

Then again there are 400K+ Teslas and maybe 10K Ioniq 5s and 10K EV6s in the US. There are about 35K+ Mach-Es and 30K ID.4s in the US. I definitely see more Mach-Es and ID.4s randomly than the Korean twins (they only started selling them in Feb basically). My retired Florida friend travelled to Europe last fall and saw Mach-Es everywhere and never saw a single one here. Ford sent loads of them to Europe for emission compliance rules.

I've seen ONE RAV4 Prime in the wild. They've sold 40K+ now. However.. it's hard to tell them from the regular RAV4s except for badging and the new aggressive 2021+ styling used in all new and higher trim RAV4s.

I occasionally see a Niro EV or i3. It's hard to tell the difference between an EV and non-EV Kona + Niro.

Reactions: mangrove79
I was talking about the Hyundai. When I ordered my Tesla in September I had no Idea it came with a lead acid battery. I think I found out sometime in November. I really wasn't happy about that or the need for a jump just to get back in the car. Basically even if you carried a backup with you you couldn't get to it . This is when I wished the tesla had a normal door lock somewhere. Fast foreard to today where the Teslas are coming with the lithium 15V batteries tht should last as long as your main pack .

There are tons of reports of the I5 having dead battery issues already. So yea I won't get any EV without ALL lithium batteries.
VW is using lithium ion in the 2022 ID.4s - of course none have been delivered to the US for some reason. lol.

Ioniq 5 dead battery issues has to due with weird software bugs. There's some drain Don't use the app to open your charge door! (was...

An EV6 owner setup a system to monitor his 12V recharging cycle:

I was hoping for some real competition for Tesla (it'd be good for the brand). But, your points are valid. No preconditioning is kinda nutty for a vehicle that ought to be a solid road-tripping EV.

Maybe they'll get it squared away some day.

Rich
Genesis GV60 EV will have preconditioning at launch and supposed the next year's Ioniq 5 will too.

It's not a dealbreaker for me because I don't even precondition on my Model Y... I find it wastes more power and I usually don't care for fastest charging speeds unless I'm a long road trip (which is almost never). I also live in a warm climate.

The lack of sentry/dashcam is a bigger deal with me - along with app control car. ID.4 has the worst external control. You can't even open the car via app. I've met a couple at an EA charger where the wife accidentally locked herself on the ID.4 because she left her purse with the fob inside. Neither could open the ID.4 (app doesn't have this feature) so they called an Uber to go home to pick up the second fob. WTF.

• Funny
Reactions: Jersey_guy_202
Should we compare Ioniq 5 with M3 in terms of size?
The Ioniq 5 has 357 liters of storage compared to a Tesla model 3’s 425 liters just in the trunk. The funny thing is, you can also compare it to a BMW M3 which was what I was thinking as soon as I saw M3 which has 480 liters. All 3 of the cars house 5 passengers too. In terms of practicality and cargo space, the Hyundai/Kia platform has less space.

The Ioniq 5 has 357 liters of storage compared to a Tesla model 3’s 425 liters just in the trunk. The funny thing is, you can also compare it to a BMW M3 which was what I was thinking as soon as I saw M3 which has 480 liters. All 3 of the cars house 5 passengers too. In terms of practicality and cargo space, the Hyundai/Kia platform has less space.
Yup, way less space in the trunk in Ioniq 5, and no frunk, no subtrunk storage. It's not the car if you must have storage space.

Reactions: voxel
Whether you like or dislike the ride quality the fact is that the struts and springs are not matched correctly. BMW has a stiffer ride than a Lexus but it's not 'harsh'.
An educated automotive fan knows that Tesla ranks among the worst in terms of build quality
(JD Power Dependability Survey Places Tesla Among Worst-Ranked Car Brands In US)
Those who don't think legacy car manufacturers can't catch up and surpass Tesla in less than 5 years really don't know anything about the industry. Elon slept on the manufacturing floor trying to get the 3 moving. Ford did that over 100 years ago. Put down the Kool-aid and pick up a book.
I really hope I’m wrong that the other major auto manufacturers/assemblers can’t catch up and surpass Tesla. It’s just that looking at their supply chains and the current amount of EVs they are producing, they are really low. If legacy manufacturers need to start sourcing lithium batteries and BMS chips, I’m not sure if there is enough for them to produce in the numbers they are thinking of producing. Tesla is already starting to tap into direct mining resources which means supply is constrained. If there is some magic way to make the batteries, chips, and magnetics, that company would be the one to invest in.

Reactions: Schnitz
Yup, way less space in the trunk in Ioniq 5, and no frunk, no subtrunk storage. It's not the car if you must have storage space.
The Ioniq 5 has a frunk, just can’t fit much in it (won’t even fit the charge cable). It has a subtrunk but it can only fit like 2 of the charge cable packs. It’s really flat. The craziest by far is the Mercedes EQS which has no frunk and you can’t even open up the front. It has a separate wiper fluid compartment with a hose and funnel.

Whoa! I did not know this about the Ioniq5! If that's true it would be a deal breaker for me. Unless our MYs have something similar that I didn't know about?
If you ask me it's some sort or racket. No other EV needs this low conductive coolant. What sort of crappy design necessitates this coolant? There's weak design reason you know what I mean? Our Teslas are lifetime on coolant, you never have to replace it. The Hyundai/Kia PHEV/EV on the other hand all use this coolant and lots of it, smh.