Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow this thread is wild and took multiple turns.

Anyway, want to update back that just got VIN for the second MYP (EOQ push is real!) I ordered a few months back to be delivered in the upcoming week, so I would be saying goodbye to the 1 month old 1500 miles Ioniq 5 Limited. I decided to sell to Carvana as other dealers not coming close to what Carvana is offering. I don't know if the car is too new or just Hyundai in general not holding value well, I was getting some pretty bad and insulting quotes out there for an almost new Ioniq 5. Tesla trade in only offers 46k for a MSRP 57.5k car. This is a bit puzzling because at the same time I'm reading some people are willing to pay over 10k dealer markup to get this car. Anyhoo, happy to answer any questions you have on I5.

I can't see how that is insulting at all.

MSRP is $57.5K, and I presume you get the $7.5K Federal tax rebate + anything your state might offer? So that's a max cost of $50K. In TX you'd get $2.5K from the state as well for example.

Seems to me the dealer needs to sell a 'used' car at a minimum of sub $50K which is the new price effectively.

One of the Podcast I listened to said that Tesla claims these long waiting lists to increase demand and urgency but in reality everyone receives their Tesla much sooner suggesting lead times are much smaller.

Reactions: cusetownusa
It would be really interesting to see how Hyundai performs in the long run.
This is garbage because it's based off Edmunds' hit piece that includes false numbers.

"First, in the real world, the Ioniq 5 managed to drive 270 miles (434 km) on a single charge, which is further than its EPA-estimated range of 256 miles (411 km). At the same time, the Model Y came in at 263 miles (423 km), which is much lower than Tesla’s claim that it’ll go 303 miles (487 km)."

That was based off earlier test that Edmunds conveniently left out the fact, that it only charged MY to 90% to do the test, vs other cars charged at 100%. YES, really!! For what reason, I don't know, but I could only speculate that it had other agendas against Tesla. Edmunds later on updated the test score and republished on the EV leaderboard here: Edmunds Tested: Electric Car Range and Consumption | Edmunds
Model Y did achieve 317 miles range which is very close to EPA estimate, and that is over 50 miles range compared to I5.

So if even this most basic information is untrue in the article, there's not much value keep reading it besides trolls want to continue using it as hit piece. You be the judge.

One of the Podcast I listened to said that Tesla claims these long waiting lists to increase demand and urgency but in reality everyone receives their Tesla much sooner suggesting lead times are much smaller.
That's definitely not true. I was quoted 1.5 to 2 months at time of ordering MYP, but it ends up taking close to 4 months. EDD push back is way worse for MYLR.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I think this might be true for the higher priced models. I have friends who have had reservations since May 2021 on the $52k LR model (when they were priced that low) and their delivery times keep getting pushed... now Sept 2022.

I think this might be true for the higher priced models. I have friends who have had reservations since May 2021 on the $52k LR model (when they were priced that low) and their delivery times keep getting pushed... now Sept 2022.

This appears to be a corp decision to increase profits by stiffing those that have ordered at old pricing.

The fact is that people have ordered Teslas way after your friends and those cars were already built & delivered.

I ordered a MY LR in late May 2021 and took delivery in September 2021. They probably got caught up in the hysteria to delay deliveries to 2022 in hopes of a Federal tax credit that never happened. Those customers got themselves pushed to the back of the line and are lucky they got to keep their low price.

Reactions: DrGriz
In case some on this thread aren't aware, there is a Google Sheet that tracks delivery times for hundreds of orders (whoever chooses to enter in their info). It even has rolling average wait times so you can see the average for deliveries in the most recent month or quarter. Most are definitely waiting for 7-8 months right now and that is going upward. If you are buying a MYP, then yes, you will be prioritized and will probably only wait 2-4 months.

Here is the link: Wiki - Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet

At $66k starting for the Model Y with the latest Muskflation... I would definitely consider other EVs if I were buying today.

I used to think that Supercharging was a great advantage but if you're just driving locally... home charging will suffice.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
At $66k starting for the Model Y with the latest Muskflation... I would definitely consider other EVs if I were buying today.

I used to think that Supercharging was a great advantage but if you're just driving locally... home charging will suffice.
I think that is the plan. Instead of completely stop taking order, Tesla raises price to slow down demand while buying them some time to get a better visibility into cost structure next year. Inflation is out of control and I think this is the prudent thing to do. Tesla can always lower the price later on. This is one of the biggest advantages of Tesla vs legacy motors. Ford is losing money on every Mach-E and F150 it's selling because it doesn't have the option to raise price on demand like Tesla, and that to me makes little sense. Is Ford just building car for fun at this point? Hyundai/Kia/BMW will need to re-think their price and I'm sure an increase is coming. Rivian or Lucid is not going to survive selling the car at 70k. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, only few will survive after this.

'Muskflation?' It's the same supply and demand affecting everything. Deliveries for MY LR are 6-10 months out. Just like always, it's in your best interest to shop around and compare options to see what the best value is; It may well be something else.

As far as charging goes, it all depends on your usage. We've used a SuperCharger less than 10x since we bought the car 2 years ago so yeah, the supercharger network isn't a huge deal for us. others go on road trips more regularly and it plays a bigger role. Again, that's part of the value equation that is different for everyone.

1655410718038.png

Reactions: WhiteWi and DrGriz
I think that is the plan. Instead of completely stop taking order, Tesla raises price to slow down demand while buying them some time to get a better visibility into cost structure next year. Inflation is out of control and I think this is the prudent thing to do. Tesla can always lower the price later on. This is one of the biggest advantages of Tesla vs legacy motors. Ford is losing money on every Mach-E and F150 it's selling because it doesn't have the option to raise price on demand like Tesla, and that to me makes little sense. Is Ford just building car for fun at this point? Hyundai/Kia/BMW will need to re-think their price and I'm sure an increase is coming. Rivian or Lucid is not going to survive selling the car at 70k. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, only few will survive after this.
Maybe they will increase their prices for now. But in the long-term and even in the medium-term, EV manufacturers will have to find a way to make and sell their vehicles for less. Otherwise EVs will remain a niche product for the wealthy and/or a lot of EV manufacturers eventually will go out of business. I know that batteries cost a lot to make, but I hope that if supply bottlenecks are resolved and new battery materials and battery-making techniques are adopted, battery prices can start to come down again. Aside from batteries, other aspects of an EV should be no more expensive to make, or even cheaper for some elements of the vehicle. Currently, manufacturers are targeting the upper end of the market with a lot of extra technology and features, and it is great to have to those vehicles, but not all EVs have to be high end.

Reactions: Daekwan and DrGriz