Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe they will increase their prices for now. But in the long-term and even in the medium-term, EV manufacturers will have to find a way to make and sell their vehicles for less. Otherwise EVs will remain a niche product for the wealthy and/or a lot of EV manufacturers eventually will go out of business. I know that batteries cost a lot to make, but I hope that if supply bottlenecks are resolved and new battery materials and battery-making techniques are adopted, battery prices can start to come down again. Aside from batteries, other aspects of an EV should be no more expensive to make, or even cheaper for some elements of the vehicle. Currently, manufacturers are targeting the upper end of the market with a lot of extra technology and features, and it is great to have to those vehicles, but not all EVs have to be high end.
I agree but right now that's the problem. Materials costs are going up and the car market is crazy for all cars - new, used, EV & ICE. Should a maker be expected price a car lower and make significantly lower profits (or no profits) simply to further the ideal of EVs?

I'm not all that convinced that the price increases is directly proportional to the supply chain increase in costs.

This is just like gas, food etc... someone is profiting more than they should and that's fine but we all know that stuff goes up faster than they should and goes down slower than they should because everyone wants to get their share.

Musk has to pay for Twitter somehow. :)

Reactions: jsight
Right now, there is a temporary significant price advantage going with the Ioniq 5. $57k - $7.5k = $50k which is $17k less than a Model Y. I think its crazy to not look at it considering that difference. I wonder if the 2023 models will have a significant price bump considering the noticeable increase in material costs. Better get yourself a 2022 model real soon :D

I'm not all that convinced that the price increases is directly proportional to the supply chain increase in costs.

This is just like gas, food etc... someone is profiting more than they should and that's fine but we all know that stuff goes up faster than they should and goes down slower than they should because everyone wants to get their share.

Tesla last increased price back in March, and this time 3000 / 64000 < 5% of increase, in which fueling cost + other inflationary cost had definitely increased over that amount in the last 3 month. It would be naive to think that Tesla is not going to maximize profit and pass the increase in cost to customer while it can, not saying it's right, but less than 5% increase seems just inline with increase in overall cost.

Wow this thread is wild and took multiple turns.

Anyway, want to update back that just got VIN for the second MYP (EOQ push is real!) I ordered a few months back to be delivered in the upcoming week, so I would be saying goodbye to the 1 month old 1500 miles Ioniq 5 Limited. I decided to sell to Carvana as other dealers not coming close to what Carvana is offering. I don't know if the car is too new or just Hyundai in general not holding value well, I was getting some pretty bad and insulting quotes out there for an almost new Ioniq 5. Tesla trade in only offers 46k for a MSRP 57.5k car. This is a bit puzzling because at the same time I'm reading some people are willing to pay over 10k dealer markup to get this car. Anyhoo, happy to answer any questions you have on I5.
So with the newly increased price of the MY, would you still take it over the Ioniq5 at MSRP?

Prices went up roughly 5% on Teslas... seems in line.

Also, all the legacy auto makers will raise the price very soon
and Hyundai/Kia cars depreciate really fast!
This is actually my primary worry. As good as I5 / EV6 may be, outside of people who are intimately familiar with EVs, no one is going to go gaga over buying a Hyundai/Kia. It's what it is. And with each new model year brings many new functions/improvements over the previous model, which really scares me how well values will hold up, especially for a first generation car like I5/EV6. A few quotes I got just offered me (msrp - 7500) rebate, Tesla trades in offered 47k, and many local dealers just said they are not interested. So I'm basing this off real market value. It's definitely not the same as Tesla for sure. I certainly will not pay anything over MSRP / mark up for I5.

Reactions: yellowr6
Honestly why I got a Tesla... got tired of the dealerships adding 20% to the price of the car (Rav4Prime in my case). Went on tesla.com, a few clicks later had a car on order with no surprises.

it's honestly way more car than I wanted, but I'm happy
I'm pretty sure Mark up was for a vehicle on the lot. If you shop around and willing to wait there are dealers you can order for msrp.

But I agree ordering tesla is easier, waiting isn't.

Honestly, as much as I like the Y, these new prices are crazy. Outside of the performance models, which face weaker competition, the Y is a hard sell at this price.
Yeah, I tend to agree. At some point, orders will start dropping off and Tesla will need to drop their prices. Until we’re at the point where everyone has cars on their lot waiting to be sold and Tesla waiting times are down to a month or two the prices will continue to rise.

Yeah, I tend to agree. At some point, orders will start dropping off and Tesla will need to drop their prices. Until we’re at the point where everyone has cars on their lot waiting to be sold and Tesla waiting times are down to a month or two the prices will continue to rise.
I used to think it was crazy to compare the Y to the macan. Now Macan with air suspension and nice leather is $68k while the Y is $66k. You can get a lot of great cars for Y money.

You'll have to wait a while, but that's true for the Tesla too.

Reactions: sleepydoc