Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to think it was crazy to compare the Y to the macan. Now Macan with air suspension and nice leather is $68k while the Y is $66k. You can get a lot of great cars for Y money.

You'll have to wait a while, but that's true for the Tesla too.
Isn't that base Macan price? The thing with Porsche is that you start adding options (comparable to other competition), you are looking at $100k vehicle pretty quick.

Remember that those are prices for delivery six months to a year out. Cars being delivered today are a great deal less expensive. Tesla has put itself in a good position for dealing with inflation and demand. When you order a car, that's the price. Look at the problem that Rivian and Lucid have. They have committed reservations out as far as two years with today's prices. What happened to Rivian when they tried to correct their pricing vs. cost problem? They are stuck with a lot of deliveries at a loss. Ford has a similar problem, but they have acted to limit the damage by cutting off orders for now. You can bet new orders will call for higher prices (or stockholders will get very upset about electrification). I think that the OEMs will limit reservations to just model year prices and production estimates to avoid similar future problems.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Cybertruck will go into production with drastically different models than the reservations covered, and new prices to boot. Although I think that the Cybertruck's method of construction will cost a lot less than the competition and pricing won't be far out of line.

Remember that those are prices for delivery six months to a year out. Cars being delivered today are a great deal less expensive. Tesla has put itself in a good position for dealing with inflation and demand. When you order a car, that's the price. Look at the problem that Rivian and Lucid have. They have committed reservations out as far as two years with today's prices. What happened to Rivian when they tried to correct their pricing vs. cost problem? They are stuck with a lot of deliveries at a loss. Ford has a similar problem, but they have acted to limit the damage by cutting off orders for now. You can bet new orders will call for higher prices (or stockholders will get very upset about electrification). I think that the OEMs will limit reservations to just model year prices and production estimates to avoid similar future problems.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Cybertruck will go into production with drastically different models than the reservations covered, and new prices to boot. Although I think that the Cybertruck's method of construction will cost a lot less than the competition and pricing won't be far out of line.
For now, I agree that Tesla is in a good position. That is, unless the economy goes into recession or worse and Tesla finds itself with a lot of excess production capacity and a lot of high-priced orders that go unclaimed from people who can no longer afford the vehicles. Or unless other manufacturers find ways to build quality, capable EVs significantly cheaper than Tesla, with perhaps a similar result. I hope that neither occurs. But what I do hope is that all manufactures, with Tesla in the lead, find ways to make decent EVs affordable for the average buyer so that the electric vehicle transition goes ahead. Otherwise, it just won't.

Honestly, as much as I like the Y, these new prices are crazy. Outside of the performance models, which face weaker competition, the Y is a hard sell at this price.
I would agree the Model Y (and perhaps the entire Tesla lineup) is a tough sell at the current price, at least for people who would comparison shop. What I'm really interested to see is how much other manufacturers increase their price for model year 2023 EV's. If they can hold the line or increase by a significantly smaller amount than Tesla, it might be a problem for Tesla. If they increase prices in line with Tesla, I guess it'll be business as usual.

• Funny
Reactions: jsight and WhiteWi
Isn't that base Macan price? The thing with Porsche is that you start adding options (comparable to other competition), you are looking at $100k vehicle pretty quick.
No, the base price is now lower than the Y. That price was after upgrading the seats and suspension. It was far from fully loaded, but imo had a nicer interior and suspension setup at that point.

Of course, operation cost and headaches are both likely higher with the Porsche.

No, the base price is now lower than the Y. That price was after upgrading the seats and suspension. It was far from fully loaded, but imo had a nicer interior and suspension setup at that point.

Of course, operation cost and headaches are both likely higher with the Porsche.
And of course it’s not an EV so kind of apples and oranges here……

Reactions: jsight and WhiteWi

When you compare MY to Macan, you have to compare with Macan GTS which has 0-60 4.6 Seconds vs. MY LR 4.8 secs or MYP 3.5-3.7 Seconds.
If you add air suspension and other comparable options to Macan GTS, such as LED adaptive headlight, pano sunroof, lane keep/assist, dashcam, etc, It comes down to the following (captured from Porsche build your configuration page)

1655614493670.png

A few days back, a car tried to race me at the light. I let it go first and then floored my car. To my surprise, the competitor was competitive for the first 2 seconds. I later found it was a KIA EV6. BTW, I drive 19 M3 LR on 18" wheels, so maybe in 3 more years or so an average Kia or Hyundai EV will be able to compete with my 6 year old Tesla. Good progress. Seriously.

A few days back, a car tried to race me at the light. I let it go first and then floored my car. To my surprise, the competitor was competitive for the first 2 seconds. I later found it was a KIA EV6. BTW, I drive 19 M3 LR on 18" wheels, so maybe in 3 more years or so an average Kia or Hyundai EV will be able to compete with my 6 year old Tesla. Good progress. Seriously.
Honestly, if it was competitive for the first few seconds it was plenty fast enough. I have a relatively ‘slow’ MY LR and even in chill mode I’m never lacking acceleration. People focus on the 0-60 times because they’re a nice concrete number to compare, but at a certain point, unless your self worth is tied to how fast your car is, more acceleration doesn’t matter and other factors are equally, if not more important.

Edit- I just looked up 0-60 times:
Kia EV6 GT: 4.7 sec
Hyundai Ioniq Dual motor: 4.7 sec
Tesla model Y LR: 4.8 sec
Ford Mustang MachE AWD: 5.2 sec
VW id.4 AWD: 5.7 sec

Even the ‘slow’ VW has a very respectable time.

Source: TESTED: The 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Is Shockingly Fun to Drive | Edmunds

Last edited:
Reactions: Suns_PSD and DrGriz
Ioniq 5 awd and Kia GT are pretty snappy off the line but does drop off after initia burst. It’s more noticeable on the highway that they don’t have as strong instant acceleration at higher speed compared to MYP. They are not bad though, plenty fast for day to day drive.

When you compare MY to Macan, you have to compare with Macan GTS which has 0-60 4.6 Seconds vs. MY LR 4.8 secs or MYP 3.5-3.7 Seconds.
If you add air suspension and other comparable options to Macan GTS, such as LED adaptive headlight, pano sunroof, lane keep/assist, dashcam, etc, It comes down to the following (captured from Porsche build your configuration page)

View attachment 818361
I thought the Macan was still around 5 seconds? Pretty comparable, imo. The P models of the Y and 3 are more competitive though. I feel like the upcharge for that isn't bad at all.

And, tbh, I'd probably still pick the Y. I like the electric drivetrain. I just with the suspension and steering were a bit better.

It depends on the model. They make a base single motor version that has around 167hp and 258tq. Obviously that version is designed for efficiency not speed. Then there’s a single motor with 225hp and 258tq model, a the top trim is a dual motor 320hp and 466tq model (4.5 sec 0-60). The upcoming GT will have 576hp and 546tq and is in the low 3’s. The Ford Lightning is also faster than the LR MY. I’d trade some outright speed for more efficiency.