Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on the model. They make a base single motor version that has around 167hp and 258tq. Obviously that version is designed for efficiency not speed. Then there’s a single motor with 225hp and 258tq model, a the top trim is a dual motor 320hp and 466tq model (4.5 sec 0-60). The upcoming GT will have 576hp and 546tq and is in the low 3’s. The Ford Lightning is also faster than the LR MY. I’d trade some outright speed for more efficiency.
I'm really interested to find out the price and actual performance of the EV6 GT (or the Ioniq5 N-line or whatever it'll be called). If it ends up with a better 0-60 time, it would cool if that prompts Tesla to offer an acceleration boost for the MYP, assuming there's anything left to squeeze out of its motors/battery pack.

By the way, while I agree with those who contend that the MYLR is more than fast enough, there's a reason why there are all kinds of turbo-charged/large displacement high performance variants of all kinds of different cars. Many people just want the most powerful car regardless of how practical it is. I certainly don't need anything as powerful as the MYP, but it sure puts a smile on my face every time I punch it.

Reactions: sleepydoc
By the way, while I agree with those who contend that the MYLR is more than fast enough, there's a reason why there are all kinds of turbo-charged/large displacement high performance variants of all kinds of different cars. Many people just want the most powerful car regardless of how practical it is. I certainly don't need anything as powerful as the MYP, but it sure puts a smile on my face every time I punch it.

totally agreed! 😁🚀

my advice to them OEM is to get their app, software and OTA updates figured out first. Then focus on performance. Then maybe they have a chance to catch Tesla. If not, they will never figure this out.

its all about the user experience And the fun Factor! IMO.

Last edited:
totally agreed! 😁🚀

my advice to them OEM is to get their app, software and OTA updates figured out first. Then focus on performance. Then maybe they have a chance to catch Tesla. If not, they will never figure this out.

its all about the user experience And the fun Factor! IMO.
As I said, there are some people for whom the performance matters. There are many others for whom it doesn't (just look at the number of people who buy Chevy Sparks or Honda Fits.) Even a 'slow' EV is still fun to drive and if you're used to the average ICE car, smooth, instant torque of the EV power train will sell itself. We have to remember that TMC forum members are not necessarily representative of the driving public as a whole.

It depends on the model. They make a base single motor version that has around 167hp and 258tq. Obviously that version is designed for efficiency not speed. Then there’s a single motor with 225hp and 258tq model, a the top trim is a dual motor 320hp and 466tq model (4.5 sec 0-60). The upcoming GT will have 576hp and 546tq and is in the low 3’s. The Ford Lightning is also faster than the LR MY. I’d trade some outright speed for more efficiency.
I don't know what model was that, but most likely not the GT. My Model 3 is too one of the slowest Teslas. Anyway.

Regarding anything EV Ford (or GM), I don't trust them. Regarding the dynamics, is the Lightning as fast 50-90 as Tesla? That is of more practical importance for me than 0-60.

The Ford Lightning is also faster than the LR MY. I’d trade some outright speed for more efficiency.
Faster Only for the first 5 seconds. =) for Mach e at least , but I’m assuming the same thing for all Ford EVs at least for now.

Also, Based on the current ioniq/ev6 power curve, the faster model will be similar. Faster initially and quickly hit the wall and slow down.

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr
In all fairness, the MY LR was slower until they bought the acceleration upgrade.
Btw something is odd about that video, the car's SOC must have been low. LR with boost is roughly half a second behind MYP. A stock LR does 1/4 in around 12.8 secs. With AB you're looking at low 12s and low 4sec to 60. In any case the Tesla in that video was rather slow. There's many a dragy runs and threads on AB.

I'm pretty sure Mark up was for a vehicle on the lot. If you shop around and willing to wait there are dealers you can order for msrp.

But I agree ordering tesla is easier, waiting isn't.
At the time (early 2021), Toyota had only made like 500 Rav4 Primes. The wait time for the Tesla was 3mo. The only other similar EV out at that time was a Mach-E, which I had considered, but nixed due to the inferior charging network at the time (I was buying a road trip car).

I ended up getting a Tesla within 2 weeks, switched to existing inventory.

Today, the environment is much different. Tons of EVs to choose from, the CCS network is markedly better, and wait times are ridiculous for all cars. When I was buying, the concept of waiting more than a month or 2 for a car was crazy to me, but I was cool with 3.

I only switched to Existing Inventory because Tesla removed radar, lost their IIHS rating, and that was sketchy to me.

Reactions: jsight
I only switched to Existing Inventory because Tesla removed radar, lost their IIHS rating, and that was sketchy to me.
It lost it because it had to be re-evaluated and it regained its top rating. Sketchy... more like logical and unavoidable given its configuration changes.

• Informative
Faster Only for the first 5 seconds. =) for Mach e at least , but I’m assuming the same thing for all Ford EVs at least for now.

Also, Based on the current ioniq/ev6 power curve, the faster model will be similar. Faster initially and quickly hit the wall and slow down.

The Kia EV6 GT was tested with Bjorn and it is faster than the Model 3 Performance after 60 mph. Check out the 100-200 km/h times. Its very impressive.

All this Macan talk...any of you actually drive one? I thought it was a complete dud. The only good aspect was the suspension tuning...yes much much better than MYLR suspension I tested. Probably the best CUV suspension I've experienced. But the rest of the Macan was mediocre at best. Cramped, crappy packaging (for a CUV). Junky outdated interior and infotainment. And slow slow slow. Did I mention it felt so slow compared to MYLR? Yes it was a base Macan (the only kind they had to test)...still pricey vs MYLR then and let's not even get into GTS pricing to have a chance at competing with MYLR (let alone MYP).

I took a wrong turn on my Macan test drive and was angry at myself for having to waste time driving it longer. I really don't get what people see in that car. Must be the Porsche badge.

Also full disclosure, I kind of hated the MYLR too for the awful wind noise and ride quality of the one I tested. Sitting still I liked it a lot but on the move it felt like an old economy car. HOWEVER I'd still take that MYLR over the Macan in a heartbeat...the MYLR had a lot more positives than the Macan.

If you want an Ioniq 5 Limited, make sure to look for this one on Carvana!

631C5ED4-86A6-42B1-8803-C97065AEABF3.jpeg