Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fairchild

14S,16 X90,18 3,19 XRvn, 21 Y, 14S. 22 YP, 23 3
Mar 27, 2016
Florida
NEWS FLASH~!

Decided to take the leap tonight to IONIC 5.

This waiting, 4180 perpetual mystery, color limitations, Giga Texas, Giga nowhere, reduced range, and the increased price among same-looking cars, has just gotten to me. Secrets, delays, secrets, promises, delays, more secrets. Enough consumer abuse.

The Ionic 5 is selling for thousands above MSRP ($10k in FL). I found a country dealer, who will give me an IONIC 5 Limited Dual Motor AWD with glass roof with power shades and all the toys for MSRP $54,810 with delivery in the next two weeks. Quiet, solid, and innovative for $15,000 less than the Model Y I have on HOLD. Not to mention the $7500 tax credit a the end of the year. That's $22,000 less than the YP. For me, a NO BRAINER.

When a dedicated Tesla owner (had six) and confirmed Hyundai hater, like myself, is making the leap, believe me, it is time for TESLA to take note and wake up. I am not alone. I am indeed a TESLA fan and will keep my stock, however, I will be riding in an Ionic until my CYBRTRK arrives (Only God knows when).
BTW, I don't think I will miss the farting seats, as I enjoy Android Carplay.

I will do an honest appraisal of likes and dislikes comparing the Ionic to the S, Y, 3, and X after about a month of ownership.

I still have an MYP Blue/White on HOLD and could decide to accept it at some point.

NEWS FLASH~!

This waiting, 4180 perpetual mystery, color limitations, Giga Texas, Giga nowhere, reduced range, and the increased price among same-looking cars, has just gotten to me. Secrets, delays, secrets, promises, delays, more secrets. Enough consumer abuse.

The Ionic 5 is selling for thousands above MSRP ($10k in FL). I found a country dealer, who will give me an IONIC 5 Limited Dual Motor AWD with glass roof with power shades and all the toys for MSRP $54,810 with delivery in the next two weeks. Quiet, solid, and innovative for $15,000 less than the Model Y I have on HOLD. Not to mention the $7500 tax credit a the end of the year. That's $22,000 less than the YP. For me, a NO BRAINER.

When a dedicated Tesla owner (had six) and confirmed Hyundai hater, like myself, is making the leap, believe me, it is time for TESLA to take note and wake up. I am not alone. I am indeed a TESLA fan and will keep my stock, however, I will be riding in an Ionic until my CYBRTRK arrives (Only God knows when).

I will do an honest appraisal of likes and dislikes comparing the Ionic to the S, Y, 3, and X after about a month of ownership.

I still have an MYP Blue/White on HOLD and could decide to accept it at some point.

Congrats. I've put my name on the list in several dealerships for a limited model (which are really hard to find). Just playing the waiting game until I get the call. Looking at the digital Teal with gray interior. I think its a fantastic value and you'll be super happy with it.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I admit: the Hyundai IONIQ 5 is looking better and better to me. As much as we love our Model 3… I confess that I'm growing disillusioned with Tesla. Today's hefty price increases; the CEO's petty behavior; building a factory in a cruel, medieval, authoritarian state; service issues; the awful v11 user interface; my experiences as a FSD Beta tester; not covering components in the HV Battery Service Panel under its Battery and Drive Unit Warranty… are just some of the reasons why I'm starting to lose my optimism. And in many ways (not all), the IONIQ 5 leapfrogs Tesla with some desirable features and functions. I'll be interested in hearing your impressions, once you've had time to compare the vehicles.

Not sure how delivery wait time are in the US for this car, but in Canada, a friend of a co-worker just order one in Vancouver BC. Twelve months +/- a month. When they started to appear on the road here, we test drove one February. The dealer said the ones we see on the road were ordered last July. We were told at that time delivery time had not been established for this model year. Maybe our quota in Canada is vastly different than the US.
We have both a Y SR and an S 85D, not so impressed with the Ioniq 5, does not have that WOW factor. The display seems like an after thought, and for some reason, the tester rear seat assembly rattled side to side, distracting in the rear view mirror.
Seem like delivery times are a common EV problem here.

Not sure how delivery wait time are in the US for this car, but in Canada, a friend of a co-worker just order one in Vancouver BC. Twelve months +/- a month. When they started to appear on the road here, we test drove one February. The dealer said the ones we see on the road were ordered last July. We were told at that time delivery time had not been established for this model year. Maybe our quota in Canada is vastly different than the US.
We have both a Y SR and an S 85D, not so impressed with the Ioniq 5, does not have that WOW factor. The display seems like an after thought, and for some reason, the tester rear seat assembly rattled side to side, distracting in the rear view mirror.
The gas price is at all time high now so it's easy to understand why people are hopping on EV bandwagon. I tried to request a quote for a Toyota truck and one dealer came back with $55 over MSRP offer... haha 55 over, not $550 or $5500. When gas price goes down, people will be back buying ICE SUV and truck.

They have 26 of them on the lot in Islip, NY.

NEWS FLASH~!

Hi Scott, I just took the plunge today and traded a MY in on an Ioniq 5 (also in Florida)..What's the current etiquette on including the mobile charger with the trade? Seems crummy for dealer and eventually the new owner not to have a charger but Tesla seems to think it's OK not to provide one.

Reactions: Yanquetino
We were just talking today with the FME team about how the IONIQ is at the top of various EV charts for a lot of different reasons, many of which you've mentioned here. With the tax credit an all, many consider this to be a no-brainer as well! Congrats on locking one up!

Hi Scott, I just took the plunge today and traded a MY in on an Ioniq 5 (also in Florida)..What's the current etiquette on including the mobile charger with the trade? Seems crummy for dealer and eventually the new owner not to have a charger but Tesla seems to think it's OK not to provide one.
Congratulations! Hopefully, you found a Limited. They are beautiful vehicles. Hyundai hit a home run outta dugout.
I would normally say charger goes with the car. However, I bought an $85 adaptor and used my Tesla cable to charge the IONIQ.
Hyundai. Dealers don't provide you with a charging cable. Hang onto the cable and get an adaptor. Dealers make enough money. They can buy one from the "market adjustment" they charged you.

An electric car without a charging cable. The most stupid thing the Tesla "bean counters" have ever done and then to make the cables, NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL OCTOBER!! Game changer for many. Not for me, as I have an extra cable and charge at home 98% of the time. Those cables started at $650 years ago. Now $200, but not available anywhere.

That's why Tesla management needs a Public Relations Dept. With Tesla's current high demand, they sit in the catbird seat and can do anything they want, however with great products like the IONIQ 5 hitting the road, they need to keep their eye on the rearview mirror, because objects are closer than they appear.

I regret to say that my own neural network could not adapt to the steering assist on the IONIQ 5, and I almost mowed the neighbor's lawn and took in his garbage cans for him. I couldn't develop any faith or trust in it and if I had kept the car would have had to leave it in the OFF position to be safe. My wife said, "That car has gotta go or you are going to get into an accident."

Subsequently, I sold it to a dealer in TX, for about what I paid for it and was able to keep the $7500 tax credit. My MY Performance (wife changed it to Red) comes in next week and fortunately, it has already accumulated $5000 in equity from the price raises since ordering, and another couple of thousand from the demand. Along with the $7500 tax credit from the IONIQ 5, and selling my 2021 MY or an $8k profit after a year (17k miles), I was able to justify the price difference.

Happy Motoring! Without a motor!!!!

Reactions: dbldwn02
I admit: the Hyundai IONIQ 5 is looking better and better to me. As much as we love our Model 3… I confess that I'm growing disillusioned with Tesla. Today's hefty price increases; the CEO's petty behavior; building a factory in a cruel, medieval, authoritarian state; service issues; the awful v11 user interface; my experiences as a FSD Beta tester; not covering components in the HV Battery Service Panel under its Battery and Drive Unit Warranty… are just some of the reasons why I'm starting to lose my optimism. And in many ways (not all), the IONIQ 5 leapfrogs Tesla with some desirable features and functions. I'll be interested in hearing your impressions, once you've had time to compare the vehicles.
And you don't think South Korea is an authoritarian state? Abortion was illegal until 2021, and gender-typing was a crime until 2008. Nearly all abortions in SK are to kill off females. If females are a bother, SK is a great place to live I guess.

I grew up in a country that claimed US automaking is dead, only the government can operate spacecraft, and EVs must be dictated to people, not chosen by people. Elon Musk made that happen, and as a reward, California and many folk stabbed him in the back out of gratitude.

I won't buy an EV that is not superior to gas cars, and the Hyundai/Kia efforts are not there yet. Ditto for VW (Porsche excluded, the TTS is perhaps the world's best EV).

• Funny
Reactions: JssonB and outdoors
And you don't think South Korea is an authoritarian state? Abortion was illegal until 2021, and gender-typing was a crime until 2008. Nearly all abortions in SK are to kill off females. If females are a bother, SK is a great place to live I guess.

I grew up in a country that claimed US automaking is dead, only the government can operate spacecraft, and EVs must be dictated to people, not chosen by people. Elon Musk made that happen, and as a reward, California and many folk stabbed him in the back out of gratitude.

I won't buy an EV that is not superior to gas cars, and the Hyundai/Kia efforts are not there yet. Ditto for VW (Porsche excluded, the TTS is perhaps the world's best EV).
Wowza. Well, I suggest you don't even look at an IONIQ 5, Kia EV6, or Genesis GV60, even after they built in the new EV factory projected for Georgia, since the headquarters is in —gasp!— South Korea. Nearly all abortions there are to "kill off females"…!?! Uh… gotta source for that accusation?

Sorry, but I fail to see how California stabbed Musk in the back —if not just the opposite. By wanting him to adhere to COVID guidelines in Fremont? By allowing those black employees to file a lawsuit for discrimination? By applying the same state taxes to Tesla as other major manufacturers? I must have missed the news story about that stabbing also.

I see there is some serious topic drift happening. :rolleyes:

Hopefully I'm in the write place to post that a friend of mine just picked up a 2022 Ioniq 5 SE AWD and loves it. I went for a ride and thought it was very nice - enough so that I've recommended it to my parents, who have been in the market for an EV for a while. They already have a Model X, but they're looking for something kind of in between the 3 and Y - the Ioniq 5 seems to fit the bill very well and the price is right.

I was particularly impressed by the charging curve, although time will tell how the aggressive charging curve affects the battery's longevity. On the plus side, there are adjustable settings for the DC fast charging speed. On the down side, the local three-stall Electrify America station seems to be at capacity. We arrived to another Ioniq 5 on a charger (that had faulted out and wasn't delivering power). A Mach-E pulled into the third charger shortly after we starting charging. A third Ioniq 5 queued up and waited shortly after the Mach-E started charging. Hyundai's offer of two years of free charging is going to put a lot of pressure on Electrify America and other fast charging providers.

FD5E4CAA-FF7F-4A7A-831F-AA5BE78B965F.jpeg

Last edited:
Wowza. Well, I suggest you don't even look at an IONIQ 5, Kia EV6, or Genesis GV60, even after they built in the new EV factory projected for Georgia, since the headquarters is in —gasp!— South Korea. Nearly all abortions there are to "kill off females"…!?! Uh… gotta source for that accusation?

Sorry, but I fail to see how California stabbed Musk in the back —if not just the opposite. By wanting him to adhere to COVID guidelines in Fremont? By allowing those black employees to file a lawsuit for discrimination? By applying the same state taxes to Tesla as other major manufacturers? I must have missed the news story about that stabbing also.
Research the modern history of South Korea if you have doubts about it. So far, the IONIQ5/EV6 is not significantly better than gas SUVs at the same actual price point (ADM on I5/EV6). They are generic people movers.

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02
I see there is some serious topic drift happening. :rolleyes:

Hopefully I'm in the write place to post that a friend of mine just picked up a 2022 Ioniq 5 SE AWD and loves it. I went for a ride and thought it was very nice - enough so that I've recommended it to my parents, who have been in the market for an EV for a while. They already have a Model X, but they're looking for something kind of in between the 3 and Y - the Ioniq 5 seems to fit the bill very well and the price is right.

I was particularly impressed by the charging curve, although time will tell how the aggressive charging curve affects the battery's longevity. On the plus side, there are adjustable settings for the DC fast charging speed. On the down side, the local three-stall Electrify America station seems to be at capacity. We arrived to another Ioniq 5 on a charger (that had faulted out and wasn't delivering power). A Mach-E pulled into the third charger shortly after we starting charging. A third Ioniq 5 queued up and waited shortly after the Mach-E started charging. Hyundai's offer of two years of free charging is going to put a lot of pressure on Electrify America and other fast charging providers.
Nice! Hope your friend grows to love his IONIQ 5. We plan to go test drive one when we're in CA to visit my wife's parents in the near future. I'm only disappointed that there are no top-of-the line "Limited" versions available, as consumers have already snatched them all up.

My biggest disappointment with the IONIQ 5 is that its mobile charging unit only works with 120V. I think all EVs' charging bricks should also work with 240V with exchangable adapters. It's an absolute necessity when visiting a campground, a marina, a relative or friend who has a dryer outlet, etc. I've used my Tesla UMC to plug into 240V outlet many times.

He was really looking for a Model Y, but waited and waited for the tax credit that never came, all while watching the price of the car increase over and over, again. He floated the idea of ordering a Model Y P and selling the Ioniq 5 for more than he paid when the Model Y arrives. He just sold his gen 2 Volt for what he paid (after tax credit) after four years and 60,000+ miles. We'll see how it goes - for now, the Ioniq 5 is a great fit for him.

Last edited:
Research the modern history of South Korea if you have doubts about it. So far, the IONIQ5/EV6 is not significantly better than gas SUVs at the same actual price point (ADM on I5/EV6). They are generic people movers.

What are you comparing the I5 to? You can argue the I5 at $56k is better value than a Model Y with a bit less range, a bit slower, but better built with a much better suspension for daily use. Compare that with a a Highlander Hybrid at $52k and I think the Hyundai is a faaaaar better vehicle. Its also cheaper if you factor in the $7500 tax credit. I would argue that its significantly better than the ICE equivalent then. Really, its your opinion vs. the consensus and the consensus has given the car numerous awards for being so good. This entire segment is meant to be generic people movers anyway...at least the I5 does it with some flair.

Nice! Hope your friend grows to love his IONIQ 5. We plan to go test drive one when we're in CA to visit my wife's parents in the near future. I'm only disappointed that there are no top-of-the line "Limited" versions available, as consumers have already snatched them all up.

My biggest disappointment with the IONIQ 5 is that its mobile charging unit only works with 120V. I think all EVs' charging bricks should also work with 240V with exchangable adapters. It's an absolute necessity when visiting a campground, a marina, a relative or friend who has a dryer outlet, etc. I've used my Tesla UMC to plug into 240V outlet many times.

You realize that Tesla now charges for it also. :D

There are plenty of aftermarket ones for a couple hundred bucks now too.

What are you comparing the I5 to? You can argue the I5 at $56k is better value than a Model Y with a bit less range, a bit slower, but better built with a much better suspension for daily use. Compare that with a a Highlander Hybrid at $52k and I think the Hyundai is a faaaaar better vehicle. Its also cheaper if you factor in the $7500 tax credit. I would argue that its significantly better than the ICE equivalent then. Really, its your opinion vs. the consensus and the consensus has given the car numerous awards for being so good. This entire segment is meant to be generic people movers anyway...at least the I5 does it with some flair.
I'm comparing the Hyundai/Kia EVs to gasoline versions. While the I5 and EV6 are much better than earlier efforts, they are not superior enough to gasoline models (Tucson) to justify the higher price (>$15k more) of the EV version. Of course that is just my opinion. The body styling of EV6 is very similar to the I-Pace, but at this stage lacks the advanced luxury features and acceleration. When the 576 HP (GT) variant makes it to the US, then perhaps it will be a game changer. We will see. But the idea that Tesla is an evil company compared to Hyundai holds no water. It is ironic that people used to get banned here for saying that ...