Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm comparing the Hyundai/Kia EVs to gasoline versions. While the I5 and EV6 are much better than earlier efforts, they are not superior enough to gasoline models (Tucson) to justify the higher price (>$15k more) of the EV version. Of course that is just my opinion. The body styling of EV6 is very similar to the I-Pace, but at this stage lacks the advanced luxury features and acceleration. When the 576 HP (GT) variant makes it to the US, then perhaps it will be a game changer. We will see. But the idea that Tesla is an evil company compared to Hyundai holds no water. It is ironic that people used to get banned here for saying that ...

I guess we can agree to disagree. The acceleration and total cost of ownership alone make it much better than the Tucson even at the higher prices.

I don't get why Tesla or Hyundai are evil companies. I think outside of the cigarette companies, the corporations aren't evil or good...they are just chasing profit like any good capitalistic based companies do. If anything, Toyota is the shadiest of the auto companies with their blatant lies about EVs and then doing an about face...pathetic.

I guess we can agree to disagree. The acceleration and total cost of ownership alone make it much better than the Tucson even at the higher prices.

I don't get why Tesla or Hyundai are evil companies. I think outside of the cigarette companies, the corporations aren't evil or good...they are just chasing profit like any good capitalistic based companies do. If anything, Toyota is the shadiest of the auto companies with their blatant lies about EVs and then doing an about face...pathetic.
The 'total cost of ownership' when there is a big price difference can be misleading especially in California. California has a valuation-based annual 'registration' fee which is often the highest or second highest cost of ownership. So when a car has a MSRP of $50k versus $35k, the higher registration (and usually higher insurance) is the biggest difference. Even at $6 a gallon, if there is a $15k difference in purchase price, the taxes and insurance are probably going to wipe out any savings and then some. Our Chevy Volts are a heck of lot cheaper to own and operate than our Model X (or I-Pace or R1T) even if we don't recharge the Volts.

The 'total cost of ownership' when there is a big price difference can be misleading especially in California. California has a valuation-based annual 'registration' fee which is often the highest or second highest cost of ownership. So when a car has a MSRP of $50k versus $35k, the higher registration (and usually higher insurance) is the biggest difference. Even at $6 a gallon, if there is a $15k difference in purchase price, the taxes and insurance are probably going to wipe out any savings and then some. Our Chevy Volts are a heck of lot cheaper to own and operate than our Model X (or I-Pace or R1T) even if we don't recharge the Volts.
I agree the $15k can’t fully be accounted for in cost of ownership. I also think the powertrain in the I5 is something I desire vs the ICE in the Tucson which is just okay.

I just think the I5 is the best car Hyundai has ever produced. I associate a lot of value to the powertrain though. Other people may have other criteria that are more important.

Nice! Hope your friend grows to love his IONIQ 5. We plan to go test drive one when we're in CA to visit my wife's parents in the near future. I'm only disappointed that there are no top-of-the line "Limited" versions available, as consumers have already snatched them all up.

My biggest disappointment with the IONIQ 5 is that its mobile charging unit only works with 120V. I think all EVs' charging bricks should also work with 240V with exchangable adapters. It's an absolute necessity when visiting a campground, a marina, a relative or friend who has a dryer outlet, etc. I've used my Tesla UMC to plug into 240V outlet many times.
Unfortunately, you now have to buy a charging cable, just like Tesla.:confused:

Not impressed with the video....all it seems to say is that Tesla got everything right and with massive help from the SK Government we can almost get to what they’ve done in the past ten years, next year....if only we could build them
I have owned both the Model Y and the IONIQ 5. So in all fairness, the IONIQ 5 is a great initial shot out of the cannon for Hyundai. It is an excellent vehicle for individuals wanting to move to an EV, but don't necessarily have the extra $20k to spend for a Tesla and would like fast FREE charging for two years and a $7500 tax credit. It has quite a number of things that Tesla has overlooked in the interest of rocketing toward FSD. Namely, mirror blind spot warnings z(in addition to onscreen viewing on signaling), an HUD, and the ability to plug in 110v items. It also offers leg support, Bose, and a double sliding curtain that meets in the middle for the roof, four levels of regenerative braking and three driving levels, all things that Tesla doesn't have. See my complete comparison review on this site.

On the other side, if you have owned a Tesla and are very familiar with Auto-Pilot, you will find it challenging to make the transition, to the novel steering assist which IMHO is unreliable and unsafe for someone who is come to depend on autopilot. The key FOB and start/stop button make it downright irritating. It also lacks a security camera and a totally functional phone app and it has limited storage space, (essentially no frunk and no deep storage in the rear).

That is why I sold mine for a profit (It's going to be a winner in the marketplace) and my MYP arrives next Friday. The primary deciding factor was the lack of a reliable Auto-pilot. My wife said, "You are going to kill us if you keep this car." Cannot unlearn neuro and body memory.

That is why I sold mine for a profit (It's going to be a winner in the marketplace) and my MYP arrives next Friday. The primary deciding factor was the lack of a reliable Auto-pilot. My wife said, "You are going to kill us if you keep this car." Cannot unlearn neuro and body memory.

Good luck with that pickup at Merritt Island, make sure you look it over well. I Went to get my MYP from there about 5 weeks ago. Car was filthy, covered in sand. 3 Doors misaligned, one wouldn't close all the way (you could see inside) . Told them to fix the doors and I'll take it, they decided to give it to someone willing to take it as is instead.

I am going there to pick up # 2 next Saturday. I'm still prepared to walk away if its not at least in fair condition.

Sad, All too common with Tesla doing take it or leave it upon delivery. A normal car dealer will generally jump through hoops to avoid a customer rejecting a new car. Also, after delivery (non Tesla), you can call the dealers service department and easily speak with a human being. As competition increases Tesla will eventually learn some hard customer service lessons.

Sad, All too common with Tesla doing take it or leave it upon delivery. A normal car dealer will generally jump through hoops to avoid a customer rejecting a new car. Also, after delivery (non Tesla), you can call the dealers service department and easily speak with a human being. As competition increases Tesla will eventually learn some hard customer service lessons.

A good friend of mine and I recently went up to New Jersey recently to pick up a new Hyundai Ioniq 5. The car had some cosmetic issues including a chip in the passenger side window, a small dent and some paint that was touched up. They said they're willing to replace the chipped window and fix any dents, but that there will be no additional compensation or price reduction because buyers are lined up, and it's basically a take-it-or-leave-it operation right now. The place was packed with people, and the finance lady expected them to sell 30 to 40 cars that day (this past Thursday). His sales person delivered two cars to other customers while my friend was doing his paperwork. He managed to get their $5,000 dealer mark-up down to $3,000 by agreeing to finance with them.

Just one example of the current state of the car market. In my recent travels around the US, most car dealerships were barren ghost towns.

Good luck with that pickup at Merritt Island, make sure you look it over well. I Went to get my MYP from there about 5 weeks ago. Car was filthy, covered in sand. 3 Doors misaligned, one wouldn't close all the way (you could see inside) . Told them to fix the doors and I'll take it, they decided to give it to someone willing to take it as is instead.

I am going there to pick up # 2 next Saturday. I'm still prepared to walk away if its not at least in fair condition.
Thanks for the heads up. At this point, I am not impressed with the delivery process. Every time they tell me I am ready, they come up with ONE more thing I need to do.

Inept. Total profit-focused. Customer service is non-existent. It will catch up with them at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbldwn02
Cancelled Model Y reservation...

Just picked up my Ioniq5 SEL/AWD on Friday.

Paid $52,000 (before tax and 2018 Outlander PHEV trade ($27k))
Eligible for $7.5k Fed Rebates
Eligible for $2.5k Colorado Rebate
Still have to pay $50/year for plug-in tax (Just like the outlander PHEV)
Price after rebates: $42,000

Price of a Model Y after Colorado rebate: $60,500

Saved $18,500 and a minimum 6 month wait. Yea...no brainer for us. No more gas cars!!!

PXL_20220527_202247227.jpg
PXL_20220527_202252972.jpg

Biggest Positives (IMO):
Affordable (Watch out for Dealer Markups though)
Eligible for Fed Rebate ($7500)
Has Radar
Zero false FCW or Phantom Braking so far (250 miles)
Highway Driver Assist 2 (HDA2) is SO FREAKING SMOOTH! OMG.
It's Sexy...(Frog face, I'm looking at you)
800V battery (350kw charging on EA)
2 years free charging
Still comes with a charging cable (15/120v, basically for emergencies)
Limited ($4k more) has cooled seats
0-60 in 4.7 seconds (tested)
ANDROID AUTO!!! (My biggest complaint about Tesla...just WHY???)
Instrument cluster and a screen for Media/NAV

Negatives:
Pretty much zero frunk
50 mile less range than MY
It'll never have Level 4 FSD...But I doubt current model Teslas will either
1500lb less towing than the MY
No factory roof rack options yet
No memory power seats in my SEL (Limited Only)

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2017 MS75D (FSD/EAP) but I will probably never buy another Tesla. The competition is coming...slowly.