Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ionity, LOL. 67p/kWh from 1st Feb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And lets not forget that this will be gross KWh AC. Even with the changes to the SC price structure you are still only paying for the DC that arrives at the vehicle. With the others it will be the AC consumed so you will be paying for the AC/DC conversion losses and the and the cable losses This will be at least 10%

And lets not forget that this will be gross KWh AC. Even with the changes to the SC price structure you are still only paying for the DC that arrives at the vehicle. With the others it will be the AC consumed so you will be paying for the AC/DC conversion losses and the and the cable losses This will be at least 10%
I don’t have the article handy at the moment but Tesla is revising this to include kWh used for heating the cabin, etc, as well as what goes into the pack. This was posted recently.

I don’t have the article handy at the moment but Tesla is revising this to include kWh used for heating the cabin, etc, as well as what goes into the pack. This was posted recently.
That is the "changes to the price structure" to which I was referring but its still only the sum of DC that arrives at the car which I have no problem paying for at all. Its paying for the inefficiency of the 3rd party charger hardware I object to. The less efficient the more money they make!

RIP Ionity
I'm sure the cars from the makers behind the network (BMW, porsche, VW, Kian, Hyundai) won't be paying that. Tesla manged to build a network just for their cars. So at this point in time these guys are effectively doing the same. The only difference is Tesla, Leaf, Zoe etc CAN use it if they want to but will only do so under extreme circumstances. As such they will not contribute much to blocking the chargers but will contribute a nice bit to the bottom line. It makes a lot of sense. Eventually this sort of thing will have to end, including the exclusive SuC network. I mean you don't see any one make Petrol stations out there, but for the foreseeable future I think there will be a lot of stuff going in charging infrastructure.

Now would be the time to try and influence local planning policy to discourage selective pricing...

That wouldn't be a good idea.
There is some seriously big money behind IONITY and Tesla superchargers then wouldn't get through planning because they are exclusive. At least the IONITY ones can be used by anybody, at a price.
It may be better to campaign for an OFGEM cap for EV charging.

Ionity have simply declared that they're really only interested in supporting their own brands. But by making their chargers "accessible" to e.g. Tesla they can claim to be open, and therefore get government assistance.

Tesla don't get that assistance because they're not "open to all".

Whether 12x your home night rate counts as "open" is another matter.

Ionity have simply declared that they're really only interested in supporting their own brands. But by making their chargers "accessible" to e.g. Tesla they can claim to be open, and therefore get government assistance.

Tesla don't get that assistance because they're not "open to all".

Whether 12x your home night rate counts as "open" is another matter.
I wonder if Tesla can get around this and also seek government assistance by “opening up” their SC, but setting the price per kW to say 99p for other manufacturer EVs

Everytime I have used IONITY I have had to call the helpline to get the charge started remotely.
I wonder if they will now charge for that too.

I'm just glad that, as a Tesla owner, I don't have to rely on the expensive (and getting more so!) and unreliable public superchargers in Europe.
I rely on public charging for all my charging (no charging at home).

I still find that, although some of their 50kw chargers are unreliable, Polar are still the best option out there in terms of coverage and cost.

With the £8 a month (£7 a month if you're an AA member like me), it's pretty cheap to charge an M3. Way cheaper than Shell, Tesla Superchargers, Source London, and now Ionity. I use a completely free 7kw charger near my flat, so only ever pay £7 per month for the subscription and that's it.

Serious, 68p/kwh for Ionity? What a joke.

Wont the oil companies just use their financial clout to take over the charging networks and energy companies then hike the charging prices up to make petrol cars more appealing again to slow adoption in theory? Win for Tesla here. But 67p/kwh is a total ripoff and will avoid at all costs with 12.5p at home and 24p on a supercharger.