Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ionizer?

Lump

Mar 31, 2013
So. Cal.
Saw this on FB is this a new feature, sorry no other details other then owner noticed it on the loaner he currently has.

10370902_10152381700468521_8103323825116918511_n.jpg

Pretty useful at Harris Ranch or after my kids soccer tournaments :eek:

Last edited:

woof

Fluffy Member
Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2009
Ionizers often end up creating ozone. Ozone smells nice, and certainly removes odors and things like smoke particles from the air, but is amazingly reactive. Wouldn't that possibly cause corrosion of almost any metal in the cabin (including circuit boards)?

AlMc

'When the music is on...you gotta dance' (Go Elon)
Apr 23, 2013
Delaware
Ionizers often end up creating ozone. Ozone smells nice, and certainly removes odors and things like smoke particles from the air, but is amazingly reactive. Wouldn't that possibly cause corrosion of almost any metal in the cabin (including circuit boards)?

I have a couple of these at work to cut down on odors (animal hospital). The big problem is that the ozone breaks down rubber surfaces. I have not had problems with electronics/metal.

GoBlue88

Apr 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
Huh. Mine was manufactured in 5/14 as well, although it has a VIN that is about 2,500 lower than 43383. Don't have the Ionizer feature, but I'm also still on 5.11 even though my car is on WiFi in my garage every night.

wamochi

Apr 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
my ionizer button just showed us last week after it was in the service center. i haven't had a chance to figure out what it is or does, and i wasn't 100% sure if it was there or not before, but i think it's new after the recent service center visit ...

GoBlue88

Apr 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
my ionizer button just showed us last week after it was in the service center. i haven't had a chance to figure out what it is or does, and i wasn't 100% sure if it was there or not before, but i think it's new after the recent service center visit ...
They must have upgraded your firmware to 5.12 while the car was there.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
The loaners I have had have had the window sticker in the trunk or glove box. If the windows sticker is in the car is there a new special option listed?

Nothing on the window sticker (it was in the glove compartment) to indicate 'ionizer'. Just the standard dual zone auto climate language.

AlMc

'When the music is on...you gotta dance' (Go Elon)
Apr 23, 2013
Delaware
I would suspect on older cars for the 'ionizer' to be available it will require both a hardware (ozone generator) and a software upgrade. Since one of the people who did not have but now does AFTER a recent service visit I would suspect that some hardware was added at that time.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC