Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ionizer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my car came with it, it would never be turned on:

"Ozone is a potent lung irritant and exposure to elevated levels is a contributor to the exacerbation of lung disease; it is especially dangerous for persons with asthma and other chronic lung diseases, children and the elderly."

Yes. This is the big debate about ionizers/ozonators. They are excellent at controlling odor/eliminating pathogens from the air. Unfortunately in excess amounts they are bad for your lungs. Most people use them in well ventilated areas with good air exchange. I use them in my work place to cut down on pathogens/odors. They do work well but you must be careful with them. I would be surprised if the level of ozone generation in one the size they would put in a car would be hazardous. My concern would be access to cleaning the ionizer plate. I wonder if this would be done with 12K maintenance or whether it would be accessible by the owner. My guess (opinion) is that you could turn it on if you wanted to eliminate odors (ex. cigarette ) for a brief period (10-15 minutes). In that manner the health risks would be negligible.

I've occasionally been given a non-smoking hotel room that smells smoky. I complain to the front desk and they say, "We'll put an ionizer in the room. Don't go back in for 2 hours." Is this the same technology?

There are multiple versions of ionizer & ozone air cleaner technologies. In essence, ions can be position or negatively charged. Ions can also be of any element, but air ionizers usually use O or N (Oxygen or Nitrogen).

Oxygen is O2, Ozone is O3. Some air cleaners emit ozone. Some emit N or O ions, negative, positive, or both. Only tesla can answer what technology is used in their cars.

Wikipedia sums it up here: Air ioniser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ionisers should not be confused with ozone generators, even though both devices operate in a similar way. Ionisers use electrostatically charged plates to produce positively or negatively charged gas ions (for instance N[SUB]2[/SUB][SUP]−[/SUP] or O[SUB]2[/SUB][SUP]−[/SUP]) that particulate matter sticks to in an effect similar to static electricity. Ozone generators are optimised to attract an extra oxygen ion to an O[SUB]2[/SUB] molecule, using either a corona discharge tube or UV light. Even the best ionisers will produce a small amount of ozone.[SUP][3][/SUP]

One other data point that I didn't see mentioned. It looks like this is a standard feature on all new Model S's. I had a bare-bones 60 loaner (only options were upgraded paint, leather, and interior trim) and it had the Ionizer setting.