Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS 12.1.4 - can't connect to vehicle using App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple pushed a software update to my phone last night and now I can't get my Tesla app to connect to the car. Very inconvenient timing in terms of the cold weather and not being able to precondition. Running version 50.6 and have the latest version of the Tesla App. Have tried disconnecting Bluetooth, rebooting the app, etc -- but no dice.

Anyone else having this issue?

I haven't upgraded to iOS 12.1.4 yet, but you could try signing out of the Tesla app then signing back in. I know you said you have the latest version of the Tesla app, but they just release a new version a few days ago; is that the version you have?
You could also try deleting the phone from the car (in the Locks category) then re-pairing the phone to the car as a key.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kira
I haven't upgraded to iOS 12.1.4 yet, but you could try signing out of the Tesla app then signing back in. I know you said you have the latest version of the Tesla app, but they just release a new version a few days ago; is that the version you have?
You could also try deleting the phone from the car (in the Locks category) then re-pairing the phone to the car as a key.

I updated the Tesla app this morning when the issue first occurred. Unfortunately it didn’t change anything.

Thanks for the tip about deleting and repairing the phone, I’ll try it on my lunch break. :)

Update: removed my phone as a Key and re-paired it just now. Still not working. Also have no LTE in the car, even after a complete power down (not just a display reset) which is weird but maybe that has something to do with it.

Edit: So just dialed the 1-800 to mention this and *poof* the LTE clicked back in once the call went through. Phone key now paired, crisis averted ;)

Last edited:
My understanding is the phone key works on Bluetooth, so no need for LTE or WiFi to unlock the door and drive. However, the Tesla App does need the car to have the LTE or WiFi working to communicate with it.

It seems to me they were talking about 2 different things, as you pointed out. Phone as key works without signal since it uses low emissions bluetooth. The app connecting to the car requires the car to have its LTE working.

Yes, I could get into the car by simply walking up and opening the handle. Well, after gently banging the ice & snow off, that is. ;) But no ability to precondition the car due to no LTE. The fact that I updated my phone’s OS last night appears to have nothing to do with things - just coincidental.